Our schedule next year will be BRUTAL. A plead for patience with the "4 year plan".

ThurmasThoman

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

Right.

I am not referring to the teams that we will be playing, so much as the travel.

A lot of "GOOD TEAMS WIN NO MATTER WHAT" posts here, which is the exact point of this thread.

Good teams do win games, but it's tougher to win those games when you have to fly across the country. A west coast game is a big deal as it is--4 is just sadistic.

Yes, every team in our division will be running the same gauntlet, but it's a rare scheduling quirk that we're facing.

NOT SAYING we will or won't win, or we should or shouldn't win--just saying that 10-6 might be division champ next year, which means SIX WEEKENDS of losing football.

It isnt that much of an issue actually Baseball Teams, Hockey Teams, Basketball Teams do these trips often.  and East coast team going west is easier than the other way around. 

Reason being is the East coast teams can make the trip and their normal routine fits right in for the 4PM start times, However a West Coast team coming east has that routine accelerated for the 1PM start times.

Edited by MAJBobby

Guys - if you want to go down that road, ok, but I don’t think about schedules until the season is over, then free agency, then draft and then knowing who we are playing where, and when.  It’s just as someone said let’s move onto Denver.  8-3 would be great going to Dallas as they are Jeckyl and Hyde.  Then we have a Steelers team we don’t even know which team we get that day.

A novel thought is the above mentioned comments should be an off season conversation as it will be extensive.  For every team we go to the left coast, they also have to come here.

Lets talk about it in March.  No disrespect to the OP.  I understand you’re concerns.  I do.

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

wonder how much tickets will be for the Vegas game? Man o man, pretty sure i will be sitting the "Mafia" trip out, as not a huge fan of vegas to begin with. My guess is decent seats will be at leat $400 per, good seats $600 per, and lousy seats will be $280 or so. No thanks

Oh you're gonna go, young man.........you better. Nashville will look like Ames, Iowa compared to Vegas.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Nah, not playing this game.  You never know anymore...

I'm sure we all thought we'd be getting a contending Cleveland Browns and Big Ben led Steelers, while on the flip not realizing the Ravens would be a juggernaut, with Cinci being an 0-10 team. 

Does Tom Brady want to have another season where he's regarded as being carried by the defense?  Does he finally retire or regress enough to have the AFCE in play?

Maybe, for the first time in a decade, the division will be in play.  

In fairness, a lot of us expected Cincinnati to be a dumpster-fire.

34 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

Next season, the planets will align just right for the AFC East and create a once-every-12-years schedule that is going to be an epic slog.

The teams in the AFC East will play the team in the NFC and AFC west, guaranteeing at least 4 trips to the west coast--and depending on where Houston finishes in the south, a possible extra trip to Houston for one of the AFC East teams.

This is to say nothing of the fact that the 49ers, Seahawks and Chiefs all look great, while the Cardinals, Rams, Chargers and Raiders all seem dangerous. The Broncos seem to be the only dog in the bunch, but for Buffalo, it will be a trip to Mile High--never an easy win.

The last time the scheduling rotation put the AFC East in this position, the Dolphins won the division at 11-5, and the Patriots failed to make the playoffs (granted, Brady wasn't under center that season due to an injury.) 

I know we're all looking towards next year as the year when all of the pieces fall into place and the Bills begin their epic run of dominance... but it might be best to exercise some patience here. It's hard to see ANY team in the AFC east surpassing that 11 win benchmark from 2008.

there should be no reason this team shouldn't be competing for the division title next season. anything less than that and these coaches need to go. McD has been here long enough to build a winning team and if he can't do that by the end of next season its time to find a coaching staff who can. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

They might go back to AZ.  But I can almost with near certainty say they are playing in London next year.  I think it has been 5 years now, so I am thinking we are about to get picked again.  So I looked at teams that also have not played there that is why I landed on the Cardinal Game

32 teams....so, on average, should be every 16 years.  NOT BILLS TURN AGAIN BY A LONG SHOT!!!

The Bills will definitely be at Arizona and at San Fran.  Seattle and the Rams will be in Buffalo.  As for the AFC West, if we look at the matchups from two seasons ago I'm guessing the Bills will play at Denver and at Oakland/Vegas, and have KC and the Chargers at home.

Vegas road trip sounds like a must.

Anyway, the schedule is the schedule.  You play who's in front of you.

7 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

32 teams....so, on average, should be every 16 years.  NOT BILLS TURN AGAIN BY A LONG SHOT!!!

When you are taking into affect that AZ has never been there, I am putting the AZ vs Bills game in London.

I doubt they take the Raiders (my other thinking out of Vegas in their first year)

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

When you are taking into affect that AZ has never been there, I am putting the AZ vs Bills game in London.

I doubt they take the Raiders (my other thinking out of Vegas in their first year)

Arizona has been here. The only one of the 32 that hasn't is the Packers.

And there are four London games contracted for next year (Wembley is contracted for two and Tottenham is contracted for two). It is very possible the Bills end up on that schedule. And I know that this will not be popular here but I think it is quite possible it is a home game. If the NFL is keen on applying soft pressure on the Bills over the stadium moving one of their home games to London might be a way to do it.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Arizona has been here. The only one of the 32 that hasn't is the Packers.

And there are four London games contracted for next year (Wembley is contracted for two and Tottenham is contracted for two). It is very possible the Bills end up on that schedule. And I know that this will not be popular here but I think it is quite possible it is a home game. If the NFL is keen on applying soft pressure on the Bills over the stadium moving one of their home games to London might be a way to do it.

I never thought of it that way, and very well could be something the NFL would do.  With 4 games there needs to be 8 teams.  Jax is one (I dont think they would make multiple trips over).  So that leaves 7.  Do we know if there are games also in Mexico or other placed next year that have been announced as well.  Again I dont think Raiders will lose a home game (new stadium in Vegas not going to want to take them from that this Early in the relocation.)  

58 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

Next season, the planets will align just right for the AFC East and create a once-every-12-years schedule that is going to be an epic slog.

The teams in the AFC East will play the team in the NFC and AFC west, guaranteeing at least 4 trips to the west coast--and depending on where Houston finishes in the south, a possible extra trip to Houston for one of the AFC East teams.

This is to say nothing of the fact that the 49ers, Seahawks and Chiefs all look great, while the Cardinals, Rams, Chargers and Raiders all seem dangerous. The Broncos seem to be the only dog in the bunch, but for Buffalo, it will be a trip to Mile High--never an easy win.

The last time the scheduling rotation put the AFC East in this position, the Dolphins won the division at 11-5, and the Patriots failed to make the playoffs (granted, Brady wasn't under center that season due to an injury.) 

I know we're all looking towards next year as the year when all of the pieces fall into place and the Bills begin their epic run of dominance... but it might be best to exercise some patience here. It's hard to see ANY team in the AFC east surpassing that 11 win benchmark from 2008.

Win the Division next year.  It's still there for the taking.  The Pats should be going on a downward trend! 

9 minutes ago, eball said:

The Bills will definitely be at Arizona and at San Fran.  Seattle and the Rams will be in Buffalo.  As for the AFC West, if we look at the matchups from two seasons ago I'm guessing the Bills will play at Denver and at Oakland/Vegas, and have KC and the Chargers at home.

Yea it is on the basis of the schedule the last times the divisions were matched up. Games played against those teams as a result of finishing placings are discounted for purposes of the schedule when it comes to the divisional round robins. The Bills will play:

Home:

Usual suspects (Pats, Fish, Jets)

NFC West - Seattle and LAR

AFC West - Chiefs and LAC

AFC North - likely against 2nd in that division

Away:

Usual suspects (Pats, Fish, Jets)

NFC West - Arizona and San Fran

AFC West - Broncos and Raiders

AFC South - likely against 2nd in that division

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, eball said:

Vegas road trip sounds like a must.

Anyway, the schedule is the schedule.  You play who's in front of you.

Yeah if they're playing in vegas, I'm there. The healthy diet will go out the window on THAT weekend.

56 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Every year people talk about the schedule being tough.  Every year things change in the off season and during the season where teams either fall off or improve.  

Yep.  Waaaaaay too early to say how easy or difficult a schedule will be at this point.