Our schedule next year will be BRUTAL. A plead for patience with the "4 year plan".

ThurmasThoman

Next season, the planets will align just right for the AFC East and create a once-every-12-years schedule that is going to be an epic slog.

The teams in the AFC East will play the team in the NFC and AFC west, guaranteeing at least 4 trips to the west coast--and depending on where Houston finishes in the south, a possible extra trip to Houston for one of the AFC East teams.

This is to say nothing of the fact that the 49ers, Seahawks and Chiefs all look great, while the Cardinals, Rams, Chargers and Raiders all seem dangerous. The Broncos seem to be the only dog in the bunch, but for Buffalo, it will be a trip to Mile High--never an easy win.

The last time the scheduling rotation put the AFC East in this position, the Dolphins won the division at 11-5, and the Patriots failed to make the playoffs (granted, Brady wasn't under center that season due to an injury.) 

I know we're all looking towards next year as the year when all of the pieces fall into place and the Bills begin their epic run of dominance... but it might be best to exercise some patience here. It's hard to see ANY team in the AFC east surpassing that 11 win benchmark from 2008.

Edit to include 2 points:

1. I am not saying that our schedule will be tough because of WHO we are playing, but because of WHERE we will be playing. West coast road games are hard.

2. Despite that, if we are going to say that based on this year's record, next years Bills team SHOULD be good, then we can also say that based on this year's record, next years Chiefs, Raiders, Seahawks, 49ers and Rams teams SHOULD also be good.

Edited by JohnnyGold
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, JohnnyGold said:

Next season, the planets will align just right for the AFC East and create a once-every-12-years schedule that is going to be an epic slog.

The teams in the AFC East will play the team in the NFC and AFC west, guaranteeing at least 4 trips to the west coast--and depending on where Houston finishes in the south, a possible extra trip to Houston for one of the AFC East teams.

This is to say nothing of the fact that the 49ers, Seahawks and Chiefs all look great, while the Cardinals, Rams, Chargers and Raiders all seem dangerous. The Broncos seem to be the only dog in the bunch, but for Buffalo, it will be a trip to Mile High--never an easy win.

The last time the scheduling rotation put the AFC East in this position, the Dolphins won the division at 11-5, and the Patriots failed to make the playoffs (granted, Brady wasn't under center that season due to an injury.) 

I know we're all looking towards next year as the year when all of the pieces fall into place and the Bills begin their epic run of dominance... but it might be best to exercise some patience here. It's hard to see ANY team in the AFC east surpassing that 11 win benchmark from 2008.

If you are good NONE of that Matters.  Also one of those games gonna go with the Cardinals are likely to be played in London.

• Like (+1) 6

Just stop with the stupidity of trying to predict how good teams will be next year. Free Agency hasn't occurred yet, the Draft hasn't occurred yet, offseason injuries and suspensions haven't occurred yet, etc etc etc....

Literally the only time you can know how "tough" an opponent will be is the week you are playing them once you see who will be available.

Any other time is just speculation that means nothing and has no basis in reality.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, matter2003 said:

Just stop with the stupidity of trying to predict how good teams will be next year. Free Agency hasn't occurred yet, the Draft hasn't occurred yet, offseason injuries and suspensions haven't occurred yet, etc etc etc....

Literally the only time you can know how "tough" an opponent will be is the week you are playing them once you see who will be available.

Any other time is just speculation that means nothing and has no basis in reality.

No matter if the teams are good or not, the travel will be pretty brutal. But no excuses as all the afc east teams will have to do it.

Next year's schedule does look genuinely brutal. I know a lot can change but I was saying this time last year "next year's schedule looks kind of favourable" so I think you can start to analyse what teams might be. That NFC West could have four bona fide playoff contending teams in 2020. That is why this year matters for this staff. If they were to collapse down the stretch and miss the playoffs and then be sub .500 next year I think their seats would be very warm.

I think we make it into the dance this year, I still believe that, and hopefully the team and the offense in particular takes another step in 2020. They will need to.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

Every year, pre-season, the Pundits pick the "teams to beat" based upon the previous season's results and off-season moves.

And every year, the Pundits are stunningly wrong for various reasons.  Injuries, player regression, coaching, and so forth all play a roll.

How about if we finish this season and see what moves we and other teams make before we decide what the next year's schedule will be?

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Every year people talk about the schedule being tough.  Every year things change in the off season and during the season where teams either fall off or improve.  

The seem to forget about this thing called FREE AGENCY and  LOADING a team with talent does not equal success 

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If you are good NONE of that Matters.  Also one of those games gonna go with the Cardinals are likely to be played in London.

I hope the Cardinals game isn't in London.  I live in Phoenix and many of us out here have been looking forward to the Bills return.  The last time they were here, Fitz led a OT victory in a very sloppy game that neither team seemed to want to win.  The Buffalo ex-pats took the tailgating to the next level and we had a ball.

As to the schedule, outside of this year, the Bills have a tough schedule every year.  I agree that for good teams, the schedule doesn't matter as much.  Also, the schedule can be deceiving.  Teams that project to be good can be terrible and teams that project to be terrible can be pretty good.  The AFC West is a good example.  The Chiefs were supposed to be 14-2 and roll through the league, and are doing OK, but not world beaters.  The Chargers were also supposed to be very good and are not.  The Raiders were supposed to be terrible and are actually pretty decent and the Broncos were supposed to be decent (not great) and are terrible.  So you never know. 

I will admit that the easier start to the schedule this year has really helped the Bills and was very timely for a young team with a developing QB learning how to win.  Let's hope it pays dividends for the future.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

No matter if the teams are good or not, the travel will be pretty brutal. But no excuses as all the afc east teams will have to do it.

Welcome to what the AFC West and NFC West teams deal with every year

It’s sad seeing people being worried about schedules.. If they are legit they’ll win some of those tough games.  It’s time to start having an attitude like teams like Pittsburgh/Seattle.. play anyone anywhere and win.  Time for opposing teams to say “damn we better get ready we got Buffalo coming to town”

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It’s sad seeing people being worried about schedules.. If they are legit they’ll win some of those tough games.  It’s time to start having an attitude like teams like Pittsburgh/Seattle.. play anyone anywhere and win.  Time for opposing teams to say “damn we better get ready we got Buffalo coming to town”

Even sadder they are worrying about something that has ZERO relevance.

Nah, not playing this game.  You never know anymore...

I'm sure we all thought we'd be getting a contending Cleveland Browns and Big Ben led Steelers, while on the flip not realizing the Ravens would be a juggernaut, with Cinci being an 0-10 team. 

Does Tom Brady want to have another season where he's regarded as being carried by the defense?  Does he finally retire or regress enough to have the AFCE in play?

Maybe, for the first time in a decade, the division will be in play.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, msw2112 said:

I hope the Cardinals game isn't in London.  I live in Phoenix and many of us out here have been looking forward to the Bills return.  The last time they were here, Fitz led a OT victory in a very sloppy game that neither team seemed to want to win.  The Buffalo ex-pats took the tailgating to the next level and we had a ball.

As to the schedule, outside of this year, the Bills have a tough schedule every year.  I agree that for good teams, the schedule doesn't matter as much.  Also, the schedule can be deceiving.  Teams that project to be good can be terrible and teams that project to be terrible can be pretty good.  The AFC West is a good example.  The Chiefs were supposed to be 14-2 and roll through the league, and are doing OK, but not world beaters.  The Chargers were also supposed to be very good and are not.  The Raiders were supposed to be terrible and are actually pretty decent and the Broncos were supposed to be decent (not great) and are terrible.  So you never know. 

I will admit that the easier start to the schedule this year has really helped the Bills and was very timely for a young team with a developing QB learning how to win.  Let's hope it pays dividends for the future.

They might go back to AZ.  But I can almost with near certainty say they are playing in London next year.  I think it has been 5 years now, so I am thinking we are about to get picked again.  So I looked at teams that also have not played there that is why I landed on the Cardinal Game

10 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

wonder how much tickets will be for the Vegas game? Man o man, pretty sure i will be sitting the "Mafia" trip out, as not a huge fan of vegas to begin with. My guess is decent seats will be at leat $400 per, good seats $600 per, and lousy seats will be $280 or so. No thanks

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

Do you actually know where the home and away's will be or are you just speculating?  I had already thought about this but have no idea what is home and away.

actually I just went and looked it up, they are playing at San Fran and Arizona, depending when they play Arizona, may only be a 2 hour  time difference.  For the AFC, they play at Vegas and Denver which also is only 2 hour difference.  Often when having multiple west coast trips they will try to schedule two back to back to the team can stay out west in between.

If you want to feel sorry for teams having to travel alot, you should feel worse for the teams in the NFC west as they will be making a minimum of 3 trips to the east coast, many 4, and five trips at least as far east as Dallas or further.

with all that being said, one thing I've learned trying to predict what teams are going to be good and bad a year in advance is useless.  Too much changes and even teams by August predicted to be real good or bad, there will be a couple of surprises.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Next year's schedule does look genuinely brutal. I know a lot can change but I was saying this time last year "next year's schedule looks kind of favourable" so I think you can start to analyse what teams might be. That NFC West could have four bona fide playoff contending teams in 2020. That is why this year matters for this staff. If they were to collapse down the stretch and miss the playoffs and then be sub .500 next year I think their seats would be very warm.

I think we make it into the dance this year, I still believe that, and hopefully the team and the offense in particular takes another step in 2020. They will need to.

Right.

I am not referring to the teams that we will be playing, so much as the travel.

A lot of "GOOD TEAMS WIN NO MATTER WHAT" posts here, which is the exact point of this thread.

Good teams do win games, but it's tougher to win those games when you have to fly across the country. A west coast game is a big deal as it is--4 is just sadistic.

Yes, every team in our division will be running the same gauntlet, but it's a rare scheduling quirk that we're facing.

NOT SAYING we will or won't win, or we should or shouldn't win--just saying that 10-6 might be division champ next year, which means SIX WEEKENDS of losing football.