John F*ing Brown! Are any of these other guys a clear upgrade at WR1?

2 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Actually that context makes my point about how good John Brown has been even more salient no? If there is no credible #2 like in TB / Atlanta / Cleveland - defenses focus exclusively on stopping the WR1 in the passing game - and yet, Brown continues to produce game after game.

That being said, i dont disagree with the statement that with a quality WR opposite, we could put more pressure on opponents. 

Lets see what happens when NE does what NE Does and takes John Brown out of the game.  What I have seen when John Brown is bracketed there is no other WRs really breaking their Press Coverage and that is when the incomplete happen

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, most are an upgrade based on size alone. That ball that Brown dropped on the crossing route which was "high" for him is comfortably catchable for a non-smurf WR. Additionally, a bigger WR can out-physical the DB for the jump ball on the deep ball which he couldnt get back to.

I love Brown and am all for keeping him as WR2, but we need a big, more athletic threat at WR1.

Edelman is what? 4'7''? If they make plays, I don't care how big he is

Our receiver group is much maligned but this man deserves some praise. He gets open. He has reliable hands. He'd be an excellent deep threat if his QB could get him the ball. I like Beasley too even though he's allergic to YAC. Knox is coming on. We have the makings of a decent group of pass catchers already on the roster. No need to pine after the next great college WR bust. We're better off finding replacements on the lines anyways or opposite Tre. 

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I also think Daboll dicking around with the No2 outside WR has forced more Targets to Brown.  How can you trust really your other outside WR when it seems to change weekly (no Chemistry being developed there.

I don’t think it’s Daboll’s fault. None of those guys have made plays and taken the position. We need a WR2, and a WR4. 

Our deoth chart next year at WR should be 

1. Brown/Acquisition

2. Acquisition/Brown

3. Beasley

4. FA/Draft Pick

5. McKenzie

6. Roberts

they need to get two guys. Either draft both, get one in the draft and one as a free agent, or whatever. But even with the addition of Brown & Beasley the position is still lacking a starter and another depth option. 

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

Edelman is what? 4'7''? If they make plays, I don't care how big he is

Right, and Josh Gordon is 6'3", N'keal Harry 6'4", and Mo Sanu 6'2"

Smaller players can still make plays, but we need more size and athleticism at the WR position. I'd rather have 1 small guy on the squad instead of 1 big guy among a team of smurfs. In the quoted post I said "I love Brown and am all for keeping him as WR2"

We all agree we need improving in our WR corps. We're going to improve by adding a player with all of Brown's existing skills + natural gift of height (which would have been at least 2 more big completions yesterday).

So...to me its not so much that they are statisically on par with Brown....who is having a great season.   It is finding a fit of someone to play ACROSS from him......someone that fits a certain skillset.

To me....that player should be able to

High point a ball

Out muscule a defender

Have some speed

Have good hands

I would like to either see a 1st round WR next year that fits that type OR trade for a guy like Mike Evans from the bucs......

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, most are an upgrade based on size alone. That ball that Brown dropped on the crossing route which was "high" for him is comfortably catchable for a non-smurf WR. Additionally, a bigger WR can out-physical the DB for the jump ball on the deep ball which he couldnt get back to.

I love Brown and am all for keeping him as WR2, but we need a big, more athletic threat at WR1.

Good post and it’s nothing against Brown.  He has been amazing.  But we still need a guy to throw to when he’s covered.  To add a guy like that would make Brown even better.  

your receiving core should be like a basketball team.  We have a couples of Gs. Now we need some forwards and a center. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Cooper Kupp is the best WR in the NFL. Would love him 1st and foremost. After that Evans would be a great pickup as would Thielen.

I mean I love Kupp but let’s not go insane.  But looking back, probably not drafting him or JuJu and trading up for Zay might have been a mistake. 

27 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean I love Kupp but let’s not go insane.  But looking back, probably not drafting him or JuJu and trading up for Zay might have been a mistake. 

I'm not, I seriously believe it. If you don't, give it a few more seasons... 

No mistaking, it was definitely a grave mistake passing on Kupp especially and also JuJu which was only compounded by trading up for Zay.

I was pissed and devestated during the draft and even moreso now knowing how right I was about Kupp... However, I didn't see JuJu coming since I was so focused on Kupp.

5 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Brown was a great signing. He has been an absolute stud this year. My only fear is that teams will soon learn to focus on him as Josh's main outlet and neutralize him or that he gets injured. He really isn't that big a guy and he plays almost every offensive snap. Hopefully he can stay healthy with the amount of pounding he takes on a regular basis.

You don't think opponents have been trying to do this? 

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And John Brown, while playing well, is NO Hill or Antonio. Just because you can cite a couple players (out of over 200 WRs) doesnt make it a trend or rule. Size is needed at the position.

But Brown, Beasley, Edelman, Welker, Lockett, Marvin Harrison wasn't big, Odell is as tall as Brown at 5'11", Tyreek Hill, TY Hilton, Diggs, Golden Tate, Desean Jackson, Baldwin and there are tons more, are all proving you don't. 

4 minutes ago, pop gun said:

But Brown, Beasley, Edelman, Welker, Lockett, Marvin Harrison wasn't big, Odell is as tall as Brown at 5'11", Tyreek Hill, TY Hilton, Diggs, Golden Tate, Desean Jackson, Baldwin and there are tons more, are all proving you don't. 

So you're happy with our Smurfs? No need to add to the WR corps? We dont need size?

I think yall are misunderstanding and assuming I said "small WRs cant be successful", which I never did. What I said is "size is needed at the position" as in "Bills need size at the position".

Just for fun I looked back.  The last time a Buffalo receiver finished in the top 10 for yards was Lee Evans in 2006!

Brown has been playing way above my personal expectations.  Hearkening back to the Stevie Johnson days, I don't care whether he is a #1 or not.  He produces.  The Bills certainly need another receiver across from him to take their attack to the next level and it would be nice to see it be a larger target with a large catch radius.  He can be 1a and 1b with the other guy because Beasely is pure slot.  None of the other guys on the roster have shown they are a consistent threat.  I'm looking forward to the draft this year as I think that is where the answer will be found.

Put me in the Ceedee Lamb camp as well.  He is electric!

• Like (+1) 1