John F*ing Brown! Are any of these other guys a clear upgrade at WR1?

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

We have heard a bunch of names for Bills' WR1 even after Brown was signed. Here are the receiving stats through Week 11. Are any of the other guys a clear upgrade over JFB aka "Smoke"?

edit: He is not the 4th in receiving yards. He is 8th. The other 4 in the top 8 were not really talked about on the Bills Boards as possible Bills : Michael Thomas, Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Amari Cooper

Receiving Stats Through Week 11            

GP
REC TGTS YDS AVG TD LNG BIG YDS/G FUM LST YAC FD
  10 59 91 882 14.9 4 54 13 88.2 1 0 230 46
  11 46 65 880 19.1 5 66 16 80 4 3 273 30
  10 61 94 845 13.9 5 66 16 84.5 2 0 431 33
  10 56 85 817 14.6 4 40 13 81.7 0 0 163 44
  10 75 104 745 9.9 4 38 9 74.5 0 0 259 47
  10 48 89 692 14.4 1 89 10 69.2 0 0 255 28
  10 57 86 633 11.1 3 33 8 63.3 0 0 146 34
  10 44 64 614 14 5 36 11 61.4 0 0 108 33
  10 40 72 604 15.1 4 50 7 60.4 0 0 158 31
  10 35 64 595 17 5 54 10 59.5 2 2 185 23
  11 46 67 561 12.2 4 53 8 51 0 0 176 29
  10 38 60 524 13.8 3 76 7 52.4 1 1 219 20
  8 40 65 512 12.8 3 68 7 64 2 1 248 21

John F#*% Brown #1 in the AFC in yards 

• Like (+1) 1

very impressive given that we have no big WR, and a 2nd year QB.  Many on that list have pro-bowl QB's.   

Get a big athletic WR to pair with Brown and Beasly and the whole passing offense should improve.  

Brown also had great tracking on the TD yesterday where the ball was tipped and he still caught it.  

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think the draft this year provides us with some options for a bigger, talented WR to go opposite of Smoke in 2020.

CeeDee Lamb / Oklhoma / 6'2" 190lbs - Very athletic, has good speed, and high points the ball well

Chase Claypool / Notre Dame / 6'5" 228lbs - I don't know if he'll run a sub 4.4 40-yd time(probably closer to 4.45-4.5), but he is built just like Metcalf, can run, runs a pretty legit route tree, has excellent body control, and gets those 50/50 balls almost every time.

Tee Higgins / Clemson / 6'4" 200lbs - All you have to do is watch the tape.

Michael Pittman Jr. / USC / 6'4" 215lbs - Another big WR who can do it all. 

Tyler Johnson / Minnesota / 6'2" 200lbs - Is playing himself into the Day1/Day 2 discussion. 

Tamorrion Terry / Florida St. / 6'4" 205lbs - Another big WR who can run and uses his size well.

I could keep going, but these are the guys I could think of off top. I like Jeudy too, but for some reason I am more skeptical of him overall. I really like Claypool and Pittman though, whom I believe are 2nd day guys at this point. 

Love those two.  Would also add 

Henry Ruggs III, 6-0 190 (actually like him more than Jeudy)

Laviska Shenault - 6-2 220

A later round guy I like as well is Brandon Aiyuk 6-1 206 AZ ST

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I'm good with what he is...nobody in KC is complaining about Tyreek Hill being too short

Or Antonio Brown before he went crazy. He was considered the best WR in the NFL and he certainly didn't have size.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Legit top 10 as of right now

image.thumb.png.125de1b2f14619f8bfb51b62e784926b.png

Wait... John Brown has more receiving yards than ANY wide receiver in the entire AFC???

I'll say that again, because I don't think anyone heard me:

JOHN "SMOKEY" BROWN, OF THE BUFFALO BILLS (FROM BUFFALO, NEW YORK) HAS MORE RECEIVING YARDS THAN ANY AFC WIDE RECEIVER.

But... but... but I read it, right here, from LEAGUE EXPERTS that he's not a true #1. 

How can this be? ???

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Or Antonio Brown before he went crazy. He was considered the best WR in the NFL and he certainly didn't have size.

And John Brown, while playing well, is NO Hill or Antonio. Just because you can cite a couple players (out of over 200 WRs) doesnt make it a trend or rule. Size is needed at the position.

2 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Wait... John Brown has more receiving yards than ANY wide receiver in the entire AFC???

JOHN "SMOKEY" BROWN, OF THE BUFFALO BILLS (FROM BUFFALO, NEW YORK) HAS MORE RECEIVING YARDS THAN ANY AFC WIDE RECEIVER.

But... but... but I read it, right here, from LEAGUE EXPERTS that he's not a true #1. 

How can this be? ???

He's is turning out to be the FA gem of the 2019 offseason. No one expected this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

#1 is dumb, John Brown is doing GREAT. We just need 2 that do great.  #1 #2 this is stupid label.  We just need TWO great receivers because if you only have 1 it's easier to lock down if the defense keys on it.

Also the rise of John Brown has a bit to do with Allen's development overall as well and Dabolls high-passing offense which despite media (and fans) hounding for the run game he seems still committed to the pass and josh allen overall, which is commendable really for the staff. 

I just hope they can sustain some success here down the stretch and then we are in business baby!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

He's is turning out to be the FA gem of the 2019 offseason. No one expected this. 

I mean, I know we courted him prior to last year, but didn't have the money to sign him (Thanks, Doug Whaley...). I liked him, then, but yeah... didn't think he would be as good as he's been. Definitely a pleasant surprise!

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

How can this be? ???

He is also the active leader in consecutive games with 50+ yards receiving in the entire NFL with 10

26 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I mean, I know we courted him prior to last year, but didn't have the money to sign him (Thanks, Doug Whaley...). I liked him, then, but yeah... didn't think he would be as good as he's been. Definitely a pleasant surprise!

They always could find money to sign him....he indicated he didn't like the unsettled situation here at the time and chose Baltimore

• Like (+1) 1

Pro bowl is questionable....Buffalo's small market status makes him an unknown nationally. The Press won't hype him....there will be a Bill or two make it though....likely from the D....likely White imho.  The O?   Other than Brown....no obvious candidates.  If the Bills beat the 'boys or Ravens ,and Brown has a big day or two...then recognition is more plausible.  (after all they will say "who have they beat")

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, most are an upgrade based on size alone. That ball that Brown dropped on the crossing route which was "high" for him is comfortably catchable for a non-smurf WR. Additionally, a bigger WR can out-physical the DB for the jump ball on the deep ball which he couldnt get back to.

I love Brown and am all for keeping him as WR2, but we need a big, more athletic threat at WR1.

Allen Robinson would have been a great pickup. Not sure why he wasn’t considered?

56 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And John Brown, while playing well, is NO Hill or Antonio. Just because you can cite a couple players (out of over 200 WRs) doesnt make it a trend or rule. Size is needed at the position.

Pretty clear that size is not needed at the position. Size certainly helps, but it is not in the least bit the most important thing, and there are countless examples of short receivers excelling in the NFL.

19 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Allen Robinson would have been a great pickup. Not sure why he wasn’t considered?

What makes you think he wasn't considered? A WR like that probably had multiple offers to choose from.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Pretty clear that size is not needed at the position. Size certainly helps, but it is not in the least bit the most important thing, and there are countless examples of short receivers excelling in the NFL.

Brown's mis-handling of a ball that was high (for him) and his inability to make a play on the deep ball yesterday say otherwise. But ok.

He'd be a better WR if he were bigger.

We need size at the position.

He can still succeed as a player at his size, sure. But it's tough when your top target is smaller than standard. No need to make it difficult on ourselves when similar but bigger prospects are out there. I'm not saying cut the guy, but rather add talent at the top which naturally moves him down to the 2nd target. Nothing wrong with that.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

that could also mean though the Offense is lacking real other options though right?  Without Context In terms where the other WRs are on the team. 

look at ATL they have two WRs on this list in both Jones and Ridley. 

this. If we have a better WR at No1 imagine what both would look like and the pressure we could put on teams. Get me a combo similar to Jones/Ridley on outside

knox at TE similar to a Hooper 

and Beasley in the slot and NOW we are talking. 

Actually that context makes my point about how good John Brown has been even more salient no? If there is no credible #2 like in TB / Atlanta / Cleveland - defenses focus exclusively on stopping the WR1 in the passing game - and yet, Brown continues to produce game after game.

That being said, i dont disagree with the statement that with a quality WR opposite, we could put more pressure on opponents.