Extend Jordan Phillips?

Matt_In_NH

42 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Replacing Star isn't the issue from a performance standpoint, IMO.  The issue with cutting Star is the cap hit: $7.8M in 2020 and $5.2M in 2021.

We still save something like $2.5M next year if we cut Star.  Sure, that $7.8M is more than you want to see in dead money, but I'd rather that $2.5M go to keeping players like Phillips.

9 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's top 12 for 4-3 Defensive Tackles.   When you get into 3-4 Defensive Tackle you're comparing apples to oranges.   And no, I don't think he is better than Star, but I also think they play drastically different roles in this defense.  Additionally, the Bills were in a totally different spot in terms of building a team when Star got his contract. And 8 million is exactly 2 million less than what Star makes, its not an astronomical difference or a joke as you call it.  What you're doing is trying to say every defense tackle in every defense around the NFL has exactly the same standards to compare contracts with.

8-9 million a year is a good contract for what Jordan Phillips does here.   If you think Phillips is getting something in the 12-17 million dollar range, like Atkins and Jarrett I'd say thats a joke.   One of us will be correct, one of us wont.  Its possible I am wrong, but I think getting your hair on fire for a 10 sack season and paying someone a huge contract isnt good management.  Again you have to think in terms of Phillips being a rotational cog in a defense.   Not paying top five for his position when he plays less than 50% of the snaps.  

I don’t think he’s getting anywhere close to 17 mil per year but I also think if the plan is to offer 2 years and 16mil then you’re not seriously trying to keep him. 

He’ll likely get a deal similar to Star. 

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

This isnt arguable. 

Well, everything is arguable, technically :).  

Even so, his stats this year and disruption on a worse line than Donald have been impressive.  2nd most sacks for a DT (1 behind Donald).  And Phillips I would imagine has seen fewer plays than Donald.   Not saying he's Donald, but the guy is a legit top 10 DT.   

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=SACKS&conference=null&season=2019&seasonType=REG

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

If you were a 27-year old kid looking at your first (and perhaps only) shot at a massive, life-changing pay day, you wouldn't even think about re-signing before the open market comes calling.

He's in the midst of a career year and is a pink elephant of sorts: guys that big aren't typically good pass rushers, so someone is going to throw all the monies at him...and his agent knows it.

There is that, Bandit, but against that there's the constant chance of an injury that will make his play fall off or even take him out.

So if the team he's playing offers him fair money - a life changing pay day with guarantees albeit perhaps short of open market - players do sign for short of "all the moneys".  A responsible agent knows there's a trade off there.

Meanwhile I just leave this here.  Bear in mind that's a 6'5", 237 pound guy Phillips is lifting like Jennifer Grey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScotSHO said:

As much as we would like to resign/extend him now, he would be a fool not to hit the open market.  Let him see what's out there, and then talk if it's reasonable.

Would he be a fool, though. Let's say he really loves his situation (and few players have seemed to instantly taken to the Bills like he has) and pegs his renaissance to our system, how foolish would it be to take, say, a contract that guarantees 30 million vs. the chance at one that guarantees much more. Would the next 30 million make him that much happier and/or secure if Buffalo is where he actually wants to be.

Also, for the poster who (inevitably) mentioned the weather and taxes: many players -- even ones who have lucrative post-NFL careers -- have stayed in Buffalo and/or NY state. Different people have different preferences, and every indicator is that Jordan Phillips is about as Buffalo a guy as can be after a year.

Jordan Phillips is maybe my favorite player on the defense so I am probably a bit biased here.

This dude is an energizer and their roles can't be discounted.  He is constantly pumping up the crowd and defense.  To me he fully embodies the process.  I get worrying about when he gets paid as it seems that is an issue with dt over any other position but if he was that type of guy I don't think he would have come back this year.  He is tied for 10th overall in the entire NFL in sacks.  He is 2nd at his position for sacks.  He has production, he has the attitude, and he already loves the City.

He is must re-sign imo. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Meanwhile I just leave this here.  Bear in mind that's a 6'5", 237 pound guy Phillips is lifting like Jennifer Grey.

Seriously I love this dude.  He plays with joy and fire.  That is a defensive guy celebrating not just with the offense but with the QB.  That (to me anyway) says what his team and teammates think of him.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Depends upon the extension.  2 year, $16M is "I'm taking calls next March, Thanks" territory.

I think the team that will have him valued most accurately (in their system) is the Bills. It will be interesting to see how they proceed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

dude is having arguably a better year than Aaron Donald.  Yes, extend him ASAP.  He could be the next Lorenzo Alexander find.  

What’s this based on, just sacks? I mean, who would you rather have Donald or Phillips? I don’t think it’s close. 

I do think he is the best player on that dline and the Bills are in no position to create another hole at that spot. Pay him. 

Edited by CommonCents
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

What’s this based on, just sacks? I mean, who would you rather have Donald or Phillips? I don’t think it’s close. 

I do think he is the best player on that dline and the Bills are in no position to create another hole at that spot. Pay him. 

Donald by a mile...that is not to say Phillips hasn't had a great season but this is an outlier for him. Give him some money but don't go crazy, this may be an albatross(hopefully not). Not like the Bills don't have $90 million in cap space next year....I am sure they can find some money for him.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

As two others have mentioned above, Phillips might be willing to sign an extension during the season for potentially less than he might get as a UFA in the open market after the season because it's the NFL and injuries happen.  He could blow out his knee next week and his career might be over.  Turning away $15-$20M with a large chunk of it guaranteed in a signing bonus isn't something to take lightly.  Also, after a bad start in Miami, he is flourishing in Buffalo.  He might genuinely like the coaches, teammates, fans, community and want to be there.  People like to be in places where they are having success.  He might be able to go somewhere else and make more money, but he might not be as successful there and he might not be as comfortable and happy.

This is the important part IMO,.  He went thru some bad front office, players and coaches and usually the one willing to pay the most money are doing so because lack of talent, coaching change, etc.  He has value now not just due to his play but the scheme he is on, the players he is with and his coaches.  If he goes somewhere else he may get a multiyear contract but contracts are not guaranteed for a good reason in NFL - things change and not only for better.   No his coaching might change and this is a big IFFF, if the front office was armed with pitchforks and torches like fans.