Extend Jordan Phillips?

Matt_In_NH

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'd offer him a fair contract and hope he simply wants to stay here, as he seems to love Buffalo. 

I sincerely hope our FO has more self awareness than that. I want him to love Buffalo and I hope he does. But we live in the age of super agents, free agency, and

giphy.gif

Not to mention the weather and NY taxes. We can’t expect a hometown discount.

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

He is better than Harry currently...I don't understand why that would not be the case next year, especially considering they don't have all that much invested into Harrison. 

He is a better pash rusher. He is just bad defending the run. 

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Guys.

If you were a 27-year old kid looking at your first (and perhaps only) shot at a massive, life-changing pay day, you wouldn't even think about re-signing before the open market comes calling.

He's in the midst of a career year and is a pink elephant of sorts: guys that big aren't typically good pass rushers, so someone is going to throw all the monies at him...and his agent knows it.

If he signs that deal his agent should quit.

Yup. He should go get his money. But I don't want to be a fan of the team that pays him that money. 

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Guys.

If you were a 27-year old kid looking at your first (and perhaps only) shot at a massive, life-changing pay day, you wouldn't even think about re-signing before the open market comes calling.

He's in the midst of a career year and is a pink elephant of sorts: guys that big aren't typically good pass rushers, so someone is going to throw all the monies at him...and his agent knows it.

I disagree.   It pays him as a top 12 defensive tackle in the league.   I wouldnt pay him more than 9 million a year.   If he gets more I wouldnt get in a bidding war.  I think 8-8.5 a year is fair for him.   He is a good pass rushing 3 technique, who gives you some position flexability, but he isnt especially stout against the run and he has played less than 50% of the snap counts this year.

The highest paid players at his position are guys who play 70 plus percent of the snap counts.    Maybe someone will pay him top five at his position, I just dont see someone paying him 15million a year.  We will see I suppose.

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Guys.

Exactly. Once again you nailed it.

I’d like to see if the staff can make Corey Liuget into the next Phillips. 
In a perfect scenario for the Bills Liuget plays solid down the end of the season rotating in and Bills bring him back on a one year deal like they did with Phillips this year.

17 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If this regime is true to their word they will pay him regardless of having Oliver.   You have the money, you stated you wanted to grow within and pay people who earned.  Jordan has earned a contract.   I would have no problem with them offering him a 2 year 16 million dollar deal.  This way you show your team you arent full of crap, and you have great depth on the defensive line over the next two years before you have to pay a QB big money.

2 years 16mil literally shows your team that you’re full of crap. What’s the message here? Perform well and we’ll lowball you?

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Is there a deadline for when you can extend guys during the season?   This guy is playing well and seems very passionate, always trying to get the fans into it.  I guess if you are Phillips at this point maybe you wait til FA and maximize your cash.  I wonder if they would tag him at this point....

Is is great, though if they let him go to market like thy did last year he is going to get grossly overpaid and will be gone.  Best way is a 8-9M AVV contract sometime before UFA hits.  Though with a guy that in his past location had a issue with motivation at times, worried he will not live up to a Long Term Contract.  Safest route financially for the Bills would be to tag him next year and see if he can duplicate.  

I do think they want to keep him but IF he does hit market he is gone.  

25 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

I was commenting on the one-hit wonder comment.  Two years of solid play with this year being excellent contradicts that IMO.  Of course he will be more expensive.

JP was a highly regarded player coming out of college, and the mix in Miami simply did not work. 

He comes to WNY, enjoys the team, the players, the coaching staff and the city.  He's matured into a very good player and is one of the top DTs in the league. Former second rounder projected by many to go in the first round. He plays hard and brings passion to the game. 

I don't claim to know much about scheme fits, what McD and Frazier want to do well that JP may not, or salary cap, but as a fan I cannot think of a reason you would not want a guy like JP on your team. I also have heard that the Bills were interested in a longer term deal but that JP was willing to let things play out and see what the market would be after this year. Seems like he made the correct choice. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I disagree.   It pays him as a top 12 defensive tackle in the league.   I wouldnt pay him more than 9 million a year.   If he gets more I wouldnt get in a bidding war.  I think 8-8.5 a year is fair for him.   He is a good pass rushing 3 technique, who gives you some position flexability, but he isnt especially stout against the run and he has played less than 50% of the snap counts this year.

The highest paid players at his position are guys who play 70 plus percent of the snap counts.    Maybe someone will pay him top five at his position, I just dont see someone paying him 15million a year.  We will see I suppose.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point on its face. However, the ~$8M+ AAV is almost certainly going to be there for him regardless. So if you're him, there's no reason to take that deal now when guys like Malik Jackson got $15M AAV coming off of lesser years.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Is there a deadline for when you can extend guys during the season?   This guy is playing well and seems very passionate, always trying to get the fans into it.  I guess if you are Phillips at this point maybe you wait til FA and maximize your cash.  I wonder if they would tag him at this point....

No deadline as far as I know.

Part of the bargaining power for the team of course, is that during the season the guy may be more willing to sign a contract that gives him guaranteed money in case he gets hurt and his value as a FA plummets.  The player weighs the trade off between security vs the possibility of a bigger FA payday shining in the distance.

Once he makes it into the off-season uninjured and still playing at a high level, that aspect of the calculation is gone and the guy's gonna want to get maximally paid.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

I was commenting on the one-hit wonder comment.  Two years of solid play with this year being excellent contradicts that IMO.  Of course he will be more expensive.

But Both years last and this he is playing for a Contract.  That is the worry with him.

56 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Jordan Phillips is the exact kind of dude you don’t get into a bidding war with. I like him a lot, but history dictates that these kinds of one hit wonder dudes get big deals and then cut a year or two later.

Phillips has passion and his teammates love him, both of which are usually absent from the types of players you’re referring to.

8 minutes ago, wppete said:

This makes sense. 

I don't mind if they lose Star but if that happens, they then have to pay money to another NT. And Star still has a big dead cap hit for the next two seasons (7 and 5 M respectively...he has a tough contract). 

Murphy is the more likely guy to get cut on the D-line--his cap hit next year is 1.7M. 

Phillips has earned a payday, but even if you don't like Beane's moves all the time, you have to admire how shrewd he is with the cap (the Star contract noted above being probably his worst one).

Very few players are worth breaking the bank and if the Bills are going to pay top dollar to one of their own this off-season, it's more likely a Tre White extension. 

Edited by Sundancer

You can try and extend him but he would be silly to sign. The only reason would be to get a signing bonus now as insurance for an injury later this season.

Just tag him. No other Bill is worthy of a franchise tag this offseason. Pay him one year. They have plenty of cap room. And it avoids a huge signing bonus. 
For all the let's cut Star posters, I agree he is expensive but how do you replace him? They need two edge players in free agency or draft.