Lamar Jackson: I'll Be Having That Crow Pot Pie Now (edited title)

H2o

5 hours ago, H2o said:

In the same light that I can see the growth in Allen and believe he is a special player, I can no longer deny the fact that Lamar Jackson is a special talent at the QB position either. Yes, he has a great coaching staff from top to bottom that has tailor made the offense around him. Yes, he has a good/great defense to back him up. Yes, he has had some rough patches in the same manner as Josh throwing the ball. But again I watch him yesterday against the Texans and the young man does not disappoint. I keep thinking he will falter, but on the biggest stage he always seems up to the task. He is surely not just another system product ala Kaepernick or Tyrod with Roman at the helm. He can do things on the field that we haven't seen in this league since Michael Vick in his early days with the Falcons and when he is on throwing the ball, he is on. Even on the days he may be off throwing the football he can still beat you with his legs like he did the Seahawks or the Patriots. People keep hyping all of these other match-ups as the next Brady/Manning like Mahomes/Jackson or Watson/Jackson, but I can see the battle being Allen/Jackson for years to come. Hopefully his style of play doesn't lead to injury and it remains to be seen whether this style is also sustainable at this level, but right now he is one of my favorite players to watch in the NFL outside of the Bills every week. 

I can deny it...

Give the league a year to adjust to his play and exploit his weaknesses. We have seen too many QBs crush it their first year, and then look human the next. Perhaps he is good, perhaps he is great, but I'd give it more time before I crowned him (or anyone with as little NFL playing time as he has had).

5 hours ago, H2o said:

In the same light that I can see the growth in Allen and believe he is a special player, I can no longer deny the fact that Lamar Jackson is a special talent at the QB position either. Yes, he has a great coaching staff from top to bottom that has tailor made the offense around him. Yes, he has a good/great defense to back him up. Yes, he has had some rough patches in the same manner as Josh throwing the ball. But again I watch him yesterday against the Texans and the young man does not disappoint. I keep thinking he will falter, but on the biggest stage he always seems up to the task. He is surely not just another system product ala Kaepernick or Tyrod with Roman at the helm. He can do things on the field that we haven't seen in this league since Michael Vick in his early days with the Falcons and when he is on throwing the ball, he is on. Even on the days he may be off throwing the football he can still beat you with his legs like he did the Seahawks or the Patriots. People keep hyping all of these other match-ups as the next Brady/Manning like Mahomes/Jackson or Watson/Jackson, but I can see the battle being Allen/Jackson for years to come. Hopefully his style of play doesn't lead to injury and it remains to be seen whether this style is also sustainable at this level, but right now he is one of my favorite players to watch in the NFL outside of the Bills every week. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with celebrating Lamar and his success.  I want to see every draft pick become that special player.

7 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I can deny it...

Give the league a year to adjust to his play and exploit his weaknesses. We have seen too many QBs crush it their first year, and then look human the next. Perhaps he is good, perhaps he is great, but I'd give it more time before I crowned him (or anyone with as little NFL playing time as he has had).

Of course, and that is true for any rookie through about year three, and thus the 4yr rookie contract.  Some need more than a year or two to adjust to the NFL.  Others peter out after a couple of years.  Lamar is having a great year.  But on every one of his runs, I find myself waiting for that train to come out of nowhere and flatten the kid.  I've seen that too often.  How many licks can the kid take?  Yet to be determined, right?

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah I have come out saying I was wrong as well, however, he still doesn't see the whole field, whereas Josh has made a huge gain in that regard.  I'd still take Josh coming out, but I am pulling for the kid, Jackson, good story, good kid, but we need to beat them a few weeks.  :)

Tim-

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was wrong about Jackson.  He needs to win a playoff game though--his last was cringe-worthy.

I'm behind Allen, but he's an order of magnitude below the way Jackson is playing right now.

You’re right. But it was insane how reacted to a rookie starting his first playoff game. I bet there are a bunch of great qbs who struggled in their first playoff starts.  

1 minute ago, D521646 said:

Yeah I have come out saying I was wrong as well, however, he still doesn't see the whole field, whereas Josh has made a huge gain in that regard.  I'd still take Josh coming out, but I am pulling for the kid, Jackson, good story, good kid, but we need to beat them a few weeks.  :)

Tim-

Yes, he does still lock onto a single guy and take off if he's not open. He does still also seem to not go through progressions at times. Josh has done these same things. I really think the NFL is seeing the next great crop of QB's rising who will carry the game on after the Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Rivers of the NFL are gone. Even with that, the things we are seeing from Jackson, the young man is still more successful than I thought he would be. I am man enough to admit that. Now he may get hammered by someone one day and it changes the trajectory of his career. Who knows? Right now though, even if you are stopping him throwing the ball, he can light you up to the tune of 150 and 2 or 3 TD's with his legs. He is a true dual threat unlike anyone I have ever seen outside of Michael Vick. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

No.  Lamar Jackson is a rock head.  Watch him speak

Bradshaw is too... but the 70s are different than 2019 when it is basically high tech intelligence  warfare on a football field.

Racial?

One of the best leaders of men in the NFL is Russell Wilson

Agreed. When I say there’s sometimes a racial undertone to the “leader of men” thing, I’m just talking about a historical fact: many black QBs didn’t get a fair shot because they were dinged based ostensibly on some such intangible factor. Thankfully that’s a thing of the past. But in general, we don’t know a “leader” in the NFL until he’s been given a chance to lead. Hence my comment that all kinds of personalities have become, in retrospect, great leaders. Maybe if Lamar keeps winning we will be saying that about him too. 

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Agreed. When I say there’s sometimes a racial undertone to the “leader of men” thing, I’m just talking about a historical fact: many black QBs didn’t get a fair shot because they were dinged based ostensibly on some such intangible factor. Thankfully that’s a thing of the past. But in general, we don’t know a “leader” in the NFL until he’s been given a chance to lead. Hence my comment that all kinds of personalities have become, in retrospect, great leaders. Maybe if Lamar keeps winning we will be saying that about him too. 

It also makes you wonder why guys like Watson and Mahomes, way better players, went after Tribusky who was a starter for one.  I hope after all the success a lot of “minority” qbs are having, race can stop being a thing in their evaluation.  

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

One score Lamar Jackson would like to put behind him is his Wonderlic test score, which was a disappointing 13.

What is the point of this?  Jim Kelly got a 15.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It also makes you wonder why guys like Watson and Mahomes, way better players, went after Tribusky who was a starter for one.  I hope after all the success a lot of “minority” qbs are having, race can stop being a thing in their evaluation.  

What is the point of this?  Jim Kelly got a 15.

Jim Kelly was probably drunk and high 

Jesus,  some people need to lighten up a bit 

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Jim Kelly was probably drunk and high 

Jesus,  some people need to lighten up a bit 

Ah, excuses for Kelly. Why did you bring it up in the first place?  To try and bash a guy who were wrong about?

Edited by C.Biscuit97

2 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Mama Jackson is da real MVP

Interesting how he (Lamar) puts credence in her advice.

Howie puts credence in her advice?

No, Jackson puts credence in her advice, but he occasionally distances himself.

Buddy occasionally distances himself?

No, Lamar occasionally distances himself.

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

One score Lamar Jackson would like to put behind him is his Wonderlic test score, which was a disappointing 13.

Is this what we’ve resorted to? Grasping at straws to validate your pre-draft analysis? The guy is a legit MVP candidate at this point and you want to talk about his wondering score?!? Seriously???

• Thank you (+1) 1