Allen needs another target

Dkollidas

Brown was a great pick-up and has nicely exceeded expectations. Beasley is fine as a slot WR.

The issue is with McKenzie/Roberts/Foster/Williams. I am not sure why we are not seeing more of Williams, as he was pretty much catching all of his targets. Maybe he is not 100% healthy -- or perhaps he has not been doing what he needs to in practice.  I am also perplexed by Foster, who played so well well in the back-half of the 2018 season. Maybe he too is not 100% healthy -- or, worse, maybe he has regressed to his pre-cut ways from last season. I am not sure that both Roberts and McKenzie both need to be on this roster. I know Roberts is the return-man and McKenzie is nice on the gadget plays -- but neither is an effective/reliable receiver.

We really need someone to play outside opposite Brown, who is big/physical and has the speed to get open. One thing that Miami did well yesterday was run some drag routes with Parker that helped them to negate his mismatch against T. White (who otherwise pretty much held Parker in check). if we could add that element to this offense (with a large-bodied receiver capable of running such a route), I think it would really open things up.

Edited by 2003Contenders

There is another thread reporting that John Brown is the leading receiver in the AFC (7th in the NFL).  That's pretty good for a guy who isn't a #1.  I do think it is likely Buffalo will draft a receiver in the first 2 or 3 rounds next April, but there are some other needs too that could sidetrack that thinking.

4 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I dont think they have enough on offense to contend with Baltimore, New England, New Orleans, Green Bay and San Francisco’s of the league.

I like Knox a lot, and Beasley is solid, but they need an outside weapon. Right now they have Brown on the outside on one side, then a bunch of inside & underneath options with Knox, Kroft, Beasley, Singletary and McKenzie. They need a guy who can play as a true Outside option opposite Brown to help spread the defense horizontally.

Why? None of those teams you mentioned have a WR group much better than Buffalo's?  Michael Thomas is probably the best WR on all these teams and maybe the best in the NFL.  He alone may make the Saints group better than BIlls.  Davante Adams is very good but Brown has a higher YPC.  Kittle is top weapon for 49ers but now hurt.

I'm not opposed to drafting a big WR to go with Brown and Beasley.  I just rank it far below DE, DE, OLB, DT, and RT at this point in terms of needs.    

14 hours ago, njbuff said:

Look no further than the excellent WR class of 2020 coming up.

Two names to look out for who should be in the Bills plans are: 

Laviska Shenault WR Colorado 6-2 225

Tyler Johnson WR Minnesota 6-2 205

Both are blue chip prospects and one of them should be available at 32 ?.

Don't sleep on CeeDee Lamb!! He plucks the ball out of the air. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why? None of those teams you mentioned have a WR group much better than Buffalo's?  Michael Thomas is probably the best WR on all these teams and maybe the best in the NFL.  He alone may make the Saints group better than BIlls.  Davante Adams is very good but Brown has a higher YPC.  Kittle is top weapon for 49ers but now hurt.

I'm not opposed to drafting a big WR to go with Brown and Beasley.  I just rank it far below DE, DE, OLB, DT, and RT at this point in terms of needs.    

I think regarding positions of need:

1) RT- can be addressed in free agency cheaply. And we did invest in Ford, who I believe the team wants to give time to develop into the long term RT.  I get wanting to add depth, but if you look st the analytics for our blocking we actually grade fairly decent. I think another off-season together will also help this group really gain some chemistry/cohesion. 

2) DT- I believe Liuget was a solid add-on. Having Harrison Phillips come back next year will help greatly against the run. Oliver is developing and Jordan Phillips seems to be turning into a real player. I don’t see this as a position of need. Star struggles at times, but this defense as a whole is set up to stop the pass, and I’d rather worry about that in the league today.

3) OLB- Alexander probably retires after this season. But he’s definitely lost a step this season compared to how he’s played in years past. I think Milano is a legit player, and Thompson adds solid depth. Vosean Joseph will also be back next season as well to further bolster the depth at linebacker. Also, they usually run a lot of nickel, so having a 3rd OLB isn’t my biggest concern. Could also see them going after a guy like Vic Beasley in free agency to try to play that spot.

4) DE- this I agree is an issue. But we have Hughes coming back next year. Shaq will probably rest free agency and leave, but that’s not a huge loss, he’s solid but unspectacular. Honestly I could see them parting ways with Murphy, who has been a disappointment and going after a quality free agent (Clowney, Ngakoue, Ansah, Leonard Williams, etc.). We also have Darryl Johnson as deoth, along with Mike Love who is either on Practice Squad or IR, (I honestly can’t remember). 

Regardless of the teams I mentioned I think New England is the only one with a worse group of offensive weapons than ours.

New Orleans has arguably the best receiver in the game.

Green Bay has Adams who’s a legit #1 option that can command 10+ targets/game. I really like John Brown, but he’s not there yet. 

Baltimore is far deeper than us, and used their 1st round pick on an explosive offensive weapon in Marquise Brown and they run a very different scheme that uses all 3 of their tight ends. 

I would argue the 49’ers are also much deeper with Kittle being joined by Sanders as well.

Also, please understand I’m not saying not to continue investing in the trenches. I just believe a top end receiver could really open things up for the offense and their playcalling/scheming. With a multitude of extra late picks this year (two 5th’s and three 6th’s) I believe they’ll be able to add depth to both trenches in the later rounds. 

Also, I’m usually more in favor of a BPA approach to the early part of the draft. This year is particularly strong for Wide Receivers. This would incline me towards one of those players as well. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Imo, we need great pass rushing DE and another legit CB opposite of White more than a Wr. 

We have receivers that are more than capable. 

Brown is a number 1.

It all hinges on Allens accuracy and his ability to progress through reads. 

Ive been critical of Allen because he hasn't been accurate at all over the last few weeks. 

He was extremely accurate on Sunday and his ball placement really allowed receivers to make plays after the catch. 

If he can continue to dial in his accuracy/ball placement we WILL put up points. 

The talent is here, it just all revolves around Qb play and execution. 

Allen and the offense as a whole executed beautifully and we got to sit back and watch an explosion of points and it was wonderful. 

18 hours ago, StHustle said:

Please tell me how Brown is "borderline" #1 right now? The man is on pace for 1300 yards in a sub par offense lead by a QB who has never even hot the 300 yard mark in his career. There is nothing borderline about that. He leads the NFL with consecutive 50+ yard games. Think about that for a second.  He was known as a field stretcher before he got here but because Josh lost his deep ball this season, Brown has proven he can do it all BESIDES be a 50/50 type receiver because of his size. So again, how is he borderline? Because of his size? I often see people around here reluctant to call Brown a #1 but never give a valid reason.

Fair question.  Brown is showing himself to be an excellent WR who can run all the routes, make a catch when he knows he'll be hit, is able to adjust on a ball and help his QB, and is willing to stretch out or jump for a ball.

What he's missing off being a true #1, IMO, is that "open when he's covered" part of the game.   His greatest strength becomes a weakness there - the size that helps give him speed and nimbleness makes him vulnerable to having his arm held back or being kept from going up for a ball.  Yes, that's DPI but it happens routinely.

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

On some of those plays yesterday when Allen had ample time and basically threw non catchable passes it was painfully obvious that our receivers had no separation. 

That was true in some plays in the Browns game too

11 hours ago, dakrider said:

its disappointing that of McKenzie, Roberts, Foster and Williams none of them have stepped up this year.  

Throw in last years Benjamin, Zay Jones and Ray Ray McCloud - Bills have had several garbage receivers. 

The team appears to feel McKenzie is stepping.