Allen needs another target

Dkollidas

We don't even need a true #1, we just need another strong #2.  

Right now we have Brown on the outside, Beasley in the slot and Knox at tight end.  That's it. 

McKenzie is a nice piece, and should have a role next year as well, but he isn't that guy. Kroft is a solid #2 tight end behind Knox.

Foster circa last half of '18 could be that guy (for this year), but he never plays for whatever reason. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

I'm sure WR will be a priority in the offseason.  

As many have stated, the upcoming draft class is being touted as one of the best ever.  We should be able to get a really good one late in the first round.

For this season, I think we have enough talent to put some points on the board.

Personally, I would like to see them use Cole Beasley as more of a short yardage guy, instead of downfield routes.  Too much Isaiah McKenzie on the outside, and give Robert Foster/Duke Williams more chances to make plays in that spot.

I will bet anything the team looks to upgrade at WR in the draft.  

I agree that they need a better outside threat and the team knows it.  I just don’t think that there were good options out there.

Beane wisely didn’t want to trade a 1st or 2nd round pick for a receiver like Sanders or Sanu. While the move would have helped the team this season, in the long-term it probably wouldn’t. 

Cincinnati was very foolish for keeping players like AJ Green and Andy Dalton on their rosters, when they could have traded them for mid-round picks

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that was kind of the point though. Did they expect Phillips to be as good as he has? Maybe not. But they signed him to make sure that the position wasn't a "need" in the way the Bills have had in the past when letting players walk. They had a guy who played reasonably well for them down the stretch last year in situ and then they took the best guy on their board. I think they deserve some credit for that. It was a better approach than has been taken by some past regimes.

They deserve some credit but they also have full control of the checkbook so I'm not inclined to give too much credit for common sense that maybe prior regimes did not have the option to exercise.   They also had no idea they were going to get the opportunity to select Ed Oliver so they really couldn't let Phillips leave.

What I will give them + credit for is that I think they understand that there is a correlation between fatigue and injury and have invested in depth at DL and rotated a lot and subsequently have one of the healthier D fronts in the NFL this late in the year.     

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Like what you did there...

Both guys you mentioned are great prospects and fit our need for a bigger WR who can elevate, provide a large catch radius, and win contested 50/50 balls.

If I can add a name to your list, I'd suggest Chase Claypool (WR- Notre Dame). He's a physical specimen at 6'4" 229 lbs and has 9 TDs in ten games this year. He's limited by somewhat average QB play but has made huge plays when targeted and has been described that your usual 50/50 balls are more like 80/20 in his favor. Probably a guy we could get in the 2nd or 3rd and would provide Josh with a big target who can still separate and beat the man across from him consistently. 

Hes been turning it on as of late. I wouldn't be surprised if hes considered 1st round projection by end of season. Hes a beast and can run after the catch. Plus the guy catches everything!

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Any chance you're an ND fan as well? I was just talking about Claypool a few posts back...what a game on Saturday! I am impatiently waiting for tickets to become available for the 2020 Notre Dame-Navy game here in Dublin! ?

And before anyone says it was only Navy, they had the 25th ranked defense in the country before the game. Claypool has bossed it against strong and weak competition alike, his biggest limitation as I mentioned above is the surprisingly disappointing production from QB Ian Book this year. 

Claypool is exactly the type of WR we don't currently have and desperately need!

54 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

Brown is definitely having a good season 

Add a big talented WR that wins 50/50 balls (see Mike Evans) and this offense would be scary good

Evans is one of the best WRs in football but yes that kind of player is what they need. Could also use a guy who can break an arm tackle and get YAC. Clearly that's not Cole and it's really not Brown either. 

Just now, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Any chance you're an ND fan as well? I was just talking about Claypool a few posts back...what a game on Saturday! I am impatiently waiting for tickets to become available for the 2020 Notre Dame-Navy game here in Dublin! ?

And before anyone says it was only Navy, they had the 25th ranked defense in the country before the game. Claypool has bossed it against strong and weak competition alike, his biggest limitation as I mentioned above is the surprisingly disappointing production from QB Ian Book this year. 

Claypool is exactly the type of WR we don't currently have and desperately need!

I always appreciated ND as a Catholic who went to a Jesuit school.  But I don’t follow them religiously ?. But I listen to a podcast with Daniel Jeremiah and Ryen Russillo and they were hyping him up. So I’ve been watching him. He is fairly raw but just keeps getting better. Love that he’s Canadian (they love Buffalo) and he is playing for his sister (she committed suicide).  With this draft being so deep at receiver, he could slip to the 2nd and would be an absolute perfect compliment to Brown and Beasley. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I always appreciated ND as a Catholic who went to a Jesuit school.  But I don’t follow them religiously ?. But I listen to a podcast with Daniel Jeremiah and Ryen Russillo and they were hyping him up. So I’ve been watching him. He is fairly raw but just keeps getting better. Love that he’s Canadian (they love Buffalo) and he is playing for his sister (she committed suicide).  With this draft being so deep at receiver, he could slip to the 2nd and would be an absolute perfect compliment to Brown and Beasley. 

Nice, yeah he has really started to produce at a level matching his physical talents this year. And you make a good point in that he's a great person with a lot of motivation as well and being from Canada (BC I think) won't mind the cold weather.

Claypool with our second pick would be a steal...fingers crossed. Good chat man, go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

Yeah. We still need a starting power RB, a starting CB,  3rd WR who can stretch the field, two on the OL,  two on the DL and rushing LB (due to Alexander retiring after this season)...May be a kicker too

Agreed on getting RB, CB, and third WR at those tiers.

Are you thinking we need two new starters on the OL and DL? Or are those depth additions? 

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They have enough to win now.  Just keep developing the tight ends and try to get a few more throws to Beasley

I dont think they have enough on offense to contend with Baltimore, New England, New Orleans, Green Bay and San Francisco’s of the league.

I like Knox a lot, and Beasley is solid, but they need an outside weapon. Right now they have Brown on the outside on one side, then a bunch of inside & underneath options with Knox, Kroft, Beasley, Singletary and McKenzie. They need a guy who can play as a true Outside option opposite Brown to help spread the defense horizontally.

After the second half of the season that Foster had last year, one would think the Bills would be doing everything they can to get his explosiveness on the field. The few sightings of him simply won't do. What does he have this year, one catch? Two?

• Like (+1) 1

If next year's class is as great as people say, I'd consider drafting 2, with one in the later rounds if a good one is there. Regardless I think they need 2. An outside guy to complement Smoke, and a big intermediate range possession and red zone target (like Duke was supposed to be - or maybe is- who knows). 

12 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Miami is bad.

Terribly bad. 

But I think we saw today that what this team needs more than anything is a game breaker on offense. 

Brown is a really nice piece. He’s a borderline #1 right now.

Singletary may just become a talented lead back who can make place running and receiving.

Beasley is solid in the slot.

Knox has had his drops and miscues, but overall seems to be progressing.

The O-Line as a whole seems to be properly gelling.

The defense has been spectacular. And it seems they may have addressed the run problem with Liuget (or at least helped limit it).

The only real concern for the defense is edge pressure, which has been decent, but unspectacular. But even so, they manage to manufacture pressure while limiting their blitzing. 

To me the main piece we still need is a legit #1 receiver. 

Hopefully they do it in the draft, and get a young player that can develop alongside Allen. 

If they do manage to get him a legit #1 WR, I think he, and his numbers, and the offense and team as a whole, would benefit moreso than any addition to the team. 

U forgot about replacing Levi Wallace

can we still sign EJ Gaines is he healthy yet

20 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

After the second half of the season that Foster had last year, one would think the Bills would be doing everything they can to get his explosiveness on the field. The few sightings of him simply won't do. What does he have this year, one catch? Two?

It's astounding to me how far off radar Foster has fallen.   I am always surprised when a pass is actually completed cleanly to McKenzie so it's not like there aren't easy hurdles for Foster to jump in this WR corps.    I understand Daboll has a bunch of plays that he wants to run that he needs a quick start/stop guy but it's just hard to operate a downfield passing game that can take advantage of Allen's arm with any consistency with BOTH Beasley and McKenzie out there in 3 WR sets.