A Few Thoughts about the 2nd Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

This is what this team needs to do, come out and dominate a team that they are supposed to dominate.  Need to keep this momentum vs Denver.  Now to piss in everyone's conflakes...we can't ignore Singletary coughing up the ball twice yesterday, hopefully it's an anomoly and not something that becomes a problem

I felt pretty good today at the conclusion of the game.  It would have been different had we only squeaked by.  Knox seems to be gaining confidence and it shows.  It has to be a huge disappointment for Harrison Phillips not to be on the field knowing what a difference he had made before he went out for the season several weeks back. Brown's performance has to be inspiring to the rest of the receiving corp.  Beat the Bronco's and Jets and lets get the Cowpies on Thanksgiving!

2 hours ago, Conlan58 said:

Curious to get your take on Singletary today. Makes me wonder if he was showing ball security issues in the practice setting, and that was the reason for a lack of bigger workloads in most games this year.

I thought he played well enough today.  He looked like a vet, but nothing that really jumped out.  He’s been who we thought he could be, just wasn’t a game changer today. 

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

I get nervous before writing thoughts about games like this as I know that people will take any form of critiquing as a negativity. 

2 - Special Teams - Today was a mixed bag.  Hausch hit all 4 of his field goals and his extra points.  His 51 yarder barely made it though, which makes me wonder how is overall leg strength is.  More importantly, I want to know if he was instructed to not put the ball through the end zone on kickoffs or if he can't right now.  

6 -Best play - Went for it on 4th and short.  Lined up for a QB sneak, then let Gore take it to the outside as everyone was zeroed in on Allen.  Took the entire first half of the season to set that play up.

Listen, I know it was against the Dolphins and we have a tough stretch coming up, but today showed the type of change and growth we need as a team.  I'm incredibly more optimistic after today's game than I thought I would be starting the day. Great day overall and now it's on to a Broncos team that had an interesting game today.

Go Bills!

Re prologue - Many of us look forward to your well thought out observations every week. Appreciate the effort, please keep them coming.

Re #2 - Hausch hasn't been right since the cheap shot by Anderson last year. Could be time to consider Bojo on kickoffs if Hausch can't put it through the endzone any more.

Re #6 - This gives the opposition something else to consider when lining up with this formation. Good to get it on film.

Re epilogue - Let's hope we continue to grow and peak at the right time. Yesterday was exactly what I needed for my 63rd birthday - a stress free win!

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Bills Fan In Pittsford said:

Thanks Virgil.  Been lurking for years, know you all well.

Glad to have you here. Can you do me a small favor? Can you see if W.O.P. still has the high score on Pole Position at Thirsty's?

Edited by IDBillzFan

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

2 - Special Teams - Today was a mixed bag.  Hausch hit all 4 of his field goals and his extra points.  His 51 yarder barely made it though, which makes me wonder how is overall leg strength is.  More importantly, I want to know if he was instructed to not put the ball through the end zone on kickoffs or if he can't right now.  As a result, the Dolphins had two big returns, one going for a touchdown.  Our ST unit also allowed the Dolphins to recover an onside kick as our unit was completely unprepared.  When the kicker can recover it exactly 10 yards downfield without being touched, you aren't paying attention.  Take special teams out of the equation and this game is even more of a laugher.  Great game again for Bojo as he showed off his leg and Roberts had a few decent returns.  Like I said, very mixed bag.

I was wondering that as well, every time his kickoffs were to the goal line or shorter.

58 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I thought he played well enough today.  He looked like a vet, but nothing that really jumped out.  He’s been who we thought he could be, just wasn’t a game changer today. 

TV guys said it well ... (Singletary) he's not big, he's not fast, not what you are looking for in a RB.  But every time he touches the ball he gets 5 yards ... :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

Today showed what I have thought all year- we can play with anyone, we just need to be ourselves and play loose. It's definitely not a SB win and it's still the Dolphins, but this is what we've been looking for all year. Makes the next couple weeks seem very hopeful. 

Today showed what I have thought all year- we can play with anyone, we just need to be ourselves and play loose. It's definitely not a SB win and it's still the Dolphins, but this is what we've been looking for all year. Makes the next couple weeks seem very hopeful. 

16 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

well @Gugny is a jets/giants/pats fan

So...did we ever decide what the correct pronunciation is?

I mean, I know everyone agreed that GIF is a hard g, like graphics. But not sure where we ended up on grungy. Err, Googney. Goonyay? Whatever.

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Go home whatdrought, you’re drunk 

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

3 - Smoke - For as much as this offense hasn't been great this season, it's crazy to think that Brown is on pace for 1,300 yards.  He was great today, but also targeted a lot.  The only blemishes on the Allen/Brown connection was a drop by Brown, a miss by Allen on a 3rd down that would've gone for at least 20+ yards, and some jump balls that Brown has to right being targeted on.  What I loved about his game today was his ability after the catch as he made a few guys miss today and his first TD was all him for the final few yards.  I love the connection that him and Allen seem to have and there's no question who this passing offense revolves around.  However, I personally wonder if we are focusing on him too much and ignoring other players.  With a day like today, who cares as Brown had the most fantasy points at his position today.

Was that a drop? Looks to me like the DB got his hand in there and swatted it away. 

• Like (+1) 1

My thoughts about the Dolphins game gave me thoughts about the season as a whole, with just one question.

Where would this team be and where could it be going if it had a reliable receiver opposite Brown?

That is the simplest question as of now.

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Was that a drop? Looks to me like the DB got his hand in there and swatted it away. 

It was an early third down play.  The throw was a little behind Brown, but definitely catchable.

But, it's 24 hours later and I can't be held accountable to my memory anymore

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

It was an early third down play.  The throw was a little behind Brown, but definitely catchable.

But, it's 24 hours later and I can't be held accountable to my memory anymore

I am thinking of the slant early in the game (first drive) where it was thrown slightly high and the DB just behind him got his hand in to knock it away.

Great write up OP; I take away more from your column than most national guys getting paid for their weak sauce no juice commentaries as to our Bills—solid! I particularly enjoyed how you characterized Milano & the rest of the LBs’ overall day. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks, Virgil!

About the announcers; Spero Dedes has called so many Bills games over the last few seasons, but I think he's only called two Bills games this year (yesterday, and the Titans game iirc). He's usually pretty good, but he slipped once yesterday by confusing a Bills player with a Dolphin player that wears the same number. Also (I don't remember if it was him or Archuletta), one of them said that the Bills bye week was coming up soon, which obviously is incorrect. 

I also wanted to mention that I thought we were about to see "The Hit Heard Around the World" part deux on an early swing pass to the flat by Fitz (that was nearly tipped at the line) that was well played and timed by the Bills defender (Milano?).

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Thanks, Virgil!

About the announcers; Spero Dedes has called so many Bills games over the last few seasons, but I think he's only called two Bills games this year (yesterday, and the Titans game iirc). He's usually pretty good, but he slipped once yesterday by confusing a Bills player with a Dolphin player that wears the same number. Also (I don't remember if it was him or Archuletta), one of them said that the Bills bye week was coming up soon, which obviously is incorrect. 

I also wanted to mention that I thought we were about to see "The Hit Heard Around the World" part deux on an early swing pass to the flat by Fitz (that was nearly tipped at the line) that was well played and timed by the Bills defender (Milano?).

It was Milano and it was glorious

• Like (+1) 1

One thing that I'm afraid needs mentioning are the fumbles by "Motor".   The Bills were lucky to have recovered both of them, but against a better team, in a closer game, that's the kind of thing that can spell disaster.  Don't know if it's a "technique" thing that can be coached, or if it's just better awareness, but that needs to get corrected, especially if they increase his workload to where we all want to see it.

Very few penalties on Sunday. Maybe because of this?

image.thumb.png.1fc3252f8082dc7faf0d7cf63d203bad.png

7 snaps sounds like a good formula for Lee. 

9 hours ago, Merle said:

One thing that I'm afraid needs mentioning are the fumbles by "Motor".   The Bills were lucky to have recovered both of them, but against a better team, in a closer game, that's the kind of thing that can spell disaster.  Don't know if it's a "technique" thing that can be coached, or if it's just better awareness, but that needs to get corrected, especially if they increase his workload to where we all want to see it.

Agreed, but I like that they largely benched him after the second one. 

Edited by Sundancer