Duke Williams on a milk carton

Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Duke being on the inactive list is one of the stupidest decisions this coaching staff has made. I thought for sure that once they jettisoned Zay that Duke would get a fair shot.  He proved himself vs the Titans and caught  the game winning TD on the type of play that he excels at. If he is nursing an injury then why not say that? why the secrecy? Duke being on the field gives Josh another option and a huge body who can make those contested catches  in traffic that Beasley or Brown may not be big enough or strong enough  to make because Duke is 50lbs and 4-6" taller than either.  Today I noticed at least 3 or 4 passes that Allen made that were incomplete not because of a bad throw but because the dbs went through our receiver and forced a drop. I really hope this isn't some continued anti CFL bias against Duke by the organization because that would just be asinine. Duke should be a great option on 3rd down or in the red zone so why isn't he being used??

He got a fair shot. He had 4 rec for 29 yds vs. Tenn. and a total of 2 more receptions after that. I wouldn't say he lit it up. I think we can debunk the idea of secrecy. The league is serious about the injury list, so I doubt that's the issue. I think the CFL bias against Duke is a ridiculous theory. We wouldn't have signed him or brought him up if that was the case. Come on, man. Since we're now making up theories here, I have one. Maybe Duke just can't get open consistently without the unfair running start wrs get in the CFL. Maybe, just maybe he's a healthy scratch cuz he's not good enough just yet. I said it before, if he comes up and excels, great. He hasn't. Big leap from CFL to the NFL.

10 hours ago, Dopey said:

He got a fair shot. He had 4 rec for 29 yds vs. Tenn. and a total of 2 more receptions after that. I wouldn't say he lit it up. I think we can debunk the idea of secrecy. The league is serious about the injury list, so I doubt that's the issue. I think the CFL bias against Duke is a ridiculous theory. We wouldn't have signed him or brought him up if that was the case. Come on, man. Since we're now making up theories here, I have one. Maybe Duke just can't get open consistently without the unfair running start wrs get in the CFL. Maybe, just maybe he's a healthy scratch cuz he's not good enough just yet. I said it before, if he comes up and excels, great. He hasn't. Big leap from CFL to the NFL.

3 games (one where he catches the winning td) then is exiled to inactive status is a fair shot?  Duke has caught 6 out 7 thrown his way but is benched in favor of Foster? or Roberts whose stats are terrible. Does that make any sense? Nobody is saying that Duke should replace Brown (who has been an absolute stud) or Beasley (who has been good as well) but he should be given more time than Foster, Roberts or Mckenzie because as I said he is a big body who can make contested catches.  You totally missed my point about Duke. You don't need a receiver like him to open or get separation for him to be effective.  As for your point that there is no bias vs CFL players that is laughably untrue. The rare player that does get a shot back in the NFL after a CFL stint has to ALWAYS work twice as hard as regular NFL player to prove themselves and that's being going on since the days of Warren Moon. You literally just proved my point with your line about running starts. 

Edited by Livinginthepast

15 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Duke, Foster won't be on this team next year

Yah the Pats will pick him up & he will be another weapon for Brady & history will continue !! 

If the guy gets open & catches most every thing thrown at him especially in the red zone what difference does it make how fast he is ? 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

3 games (one where he catches the winning td) then is exiled to inactive status is a fair shot?  Duke has caught 6 out 7 thrown his way but is benched in favor of Foster? or Roberts whose stats are terrible. Does that make any sense? Nobody is saying that Duke should replace Brown (who has been an absolute stud) or Beasley (who has been good a well) but he should be given more time than Foster, Roberts or Mckenzie because as I said he is a big body who can make contested catches.  You totally missed my point about Duke. You don't need a receiver like him to open or get separation for him to be effective.  As for your point that there is no bias vs CFL players that is laughably untrue. The rare player that does get a shot back in the NFL after a CFL stint has to ALWAYS work twice as hard as regular NFL player to prove themselves and that's being going on since the days of Warren Moon. You literally just proved my point with your line about running starts. 

Why should Allen throw contested balls to a WR who can't get open when we have WRs who are getting open? Because Duke is big? We have big targets in our TE's. Everyone talks about needing him in the red zone. We have a pretty good % in the red zone without him. In terms of red zone scoring %(TD's) we're 3rd in the NFL. We just haven't gotten there enough. Duke wasn't helping us get there. We have been pretty good getting to the red zone in the last 3 games though, without him. In the last 3 games only 9 teams have more red zone attempts per game than Buffalo and when we get there we score. In the last 3 games only 7 teams are averaging more red zone td's per game. If he was getting open and helping us get to the red zone, he would be playing. As for the CFL and running starts by WR's, maybe you missed my point. I don't think Duke is good at getting separation off the snap because he's not getting a running start. He's still learning to get separation from the snap. That's not a bias. I think an NFL player would take exception to the notion that CFL players coming up work harder than they do. Maybe he gets there, maybe he doesn't. It's a different game. Wider fields, longer end zones and the running starts are things Duke might have used to his advantage in the CFL that he can't take advantage of here. He's not there yet. Like I said a few times, I would love for him to do well, but there's a reason he's not playing right now. To say he's not getting a fair shot isn't true. He's been called up and played a few games. He's practicing every week with the 53 man squad. Maybe, just maybe the coaches just don't see enough from him. Now is not the time to 'try him out'. Just my take.

Edited by Dopey
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/18/2019 at 10:23 AM, Dopey said:

Why should Allen throw contested balls to a WR who can't get open when we have WRs who are getting open? Because Duke is big? We have big targets in our TE's. Everyone talks about needing him in the red zone. We have a pretty good % in the red zone without him. In terms of red zone scoring %(TD's) we're 3rd in the NFL. We just haven't gotten there enough. Duke wasn't helping us get there. We have been pretty good getting to the red zone in the last 3 games though, without him. In the last 3 games only 9 teams have more red zone attempts per game than Buffalo and when we get there we score. In the last 3 games only 7 teams are averaging more red zone td's per game. If he was getting open and helping us get to the red zone, he would be playing. As for the CFL and running starts by WR's, maybe you missed my point. I don't think Duke is good at getting separation off the snap because he's not getting a running start. He's still learning to get separation from the snap. That's not a bias. I think an NFL player would take exception to the notion that CFL players coming up work harder than they do. Maybe he gets there, maybe he doesn't. It's a different game. Wider fields, longer end zones and the running starts are things Duke might have used to his advantage in the CFL that he can't take advantage of here. He's not there yet. Like I said a few times, I would love for him to do well, but there's a reason he's not playing right now. To say he's not getting a fair shot isn't true. He's been called up and played a few games. He's practicing every week with the 53 man squad. Maybe, just maybe the coaches just don't see enough from him. Now is not the time to 'try him out'. Just my take.

For whatever it's worth to some of you, I was listening to WGR earlier and Sal Capaccio spoke briefly about Duke not being on the game day roster. He basically said what the bold part of my reply says. We're fine in the red zone without him. Actually, we're pretty good. We just need to get there more often and we have been over the past 3 games. Why mess with a good thing? I'm trusting the coaches on this one. He also mentioned ST. Duke isn't fast enough to play ST, so doesn't see him taking a spot over a WR that plays ST. To end his discussion on Duke, Sal also mentioned the coaching staff see's Duke everyday in practice. They would use him if they felt he gave them something they don't have or need. I still feel his biggest issue is getting separation of the snap without the running start. I'm sure he's working on it. He has got good hands. It is a world of difference from last year where we can keep someone like him inactive, when last year he would be a starter on the Bills. That's how bad we were last year at WR.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:54 PM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

They weirdly played McKenzie a lot on the outside today and he looked terrible. I think Duke or even Foster are better out there. Duke isn’t faster but he seems like he can create space and get physical catches. 

Yeah - they do like him for jet action plays and i think he can be a weapon in the screen game.  But Allen threw a nice ball on a swing route and he just dropped it - Allen put it right in the spot he wanted it so he could change direction and cut up field, if you hit the other shoulder its taking you to further behind the LOS and towards the sideline.

On 11/17/2019 at 8:59 PM, Livinginthepast said:

Duke being on the inactive list is one of the stupidest decisions this coaching staff has made. I thought for sure that once they jettisoned Zay that Duke would get a fair shot.  He proved himself vs the Titans and caught  the game winning TD on the type of play that he excels at. If he is nursing an injury then why not say that? why the secrecy? Duke being on the field gives Josh another option and a huge body who can make those contested catches  in traffic that Beasley or Brown may not be big enough or strong enough  to make because Duke is 50lbs and 4-6" taller than either.  Today I noticed at least 3 or 4 passes that Allen made that were incomplete not because of a bad throw but because the dbs went through our receiver and forced a drop. I really hope this isn't some continued anti CFL bias against Duke by the organization because that would just be asinine. Duke should be a great option on 3rd down or in the red zone so why isn't he being used??

I'm with you all the way brother !! He is definitely a weapon that needs to be on the field & the drive he brings is infectious to the rest of the team when he is out there they need to have him active !! 

Speed don't matter he reminds me of a Anquan Boldin type WR anything that comes near him he catches & he has game speed, given a true chance on this team he will be the difference maker like he was against the Titans !! 

6 minutes ago, Kiva said:

He is still having shoulder issues. He has fallen behind. 

This is false.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Just sit either the TE that commits too many penalites and doesnt offer anythignin the passing game or the FB that we dont use.....and activate Duke.

Should be used as a red zone threat.

I agree with this but doesn't our fullback play an important role in our special teams?

Edited by r00tabaga

1 minute ago, r00tabaga said:

This is false.

I agree with this but doesn't are fullback play an important role in our special teams?

Then what is true? He just sucks?

He must be having lingering issues from his shoulder because he doesn’t suck. 

Edited by Kiva

58 minutes ago, Kiva said:

He is still having shoulder issues. He has fallen behind. 

Calling BS on the fallen behind noise.

he “may” have issues with his shoulder, but that’s not likely after this much time without it showing up on a current injury report. It is one of the few things that bugs me about SM / BD, not using players attributes in a better way. 

Go Bills!!!