Did the Bills defense really turn it on today, 7 sacks.....

billrooter

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

The defense played with a Fire I haven’t seen all year. They were legit pissed off. I mean you have star running down screens. You had Oliver running down a WR downfield it was great. 

and Milano looks completely healthy now

The feedback is encouraging, man they better continue to be aggressive, something Mcdermott has not done at all since he has been here.

15 hours ago, billrooter said:

The feedback is encouraging, man they better continue to be aggressive, something Mcdermott has not done at all since he has been here.

I am one of Stars biggest detractors and I will say he had a hell of a game. Looked like the Rookie Star

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, tcampbell104 said:

kevin johnson maybe working his self into a  starting role

I was surprised he didn't win it during the preseason.

By the way, anyone know what happened to Trent Murphy this afternoon? I see 8 players contributed to 7 sacks today, but our $9 million DE wasn't one of them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KayAdams said:

By the way, anyone know what happened to Trent Murphy this afternoon? I see 8 players contributed to 7 sacks today, but our $9 million DE wasn't one of them.

i hope he is gone next year .i think lawson may actually be a better 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

I am not sure he was given a fair chance honestly, he was making a ton of plays and picks in camp if I am not mistaking.

45 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

This might have been the best the D-Line played all year.  They were definitely disruptive today!

Not so much the four man rush, which was about the same as all year. 

What was different was the commitment to blizing (and faking the blitz) of the LBs.    That's the most they've done that this year as they obviously had no respect for the Fin's O-line and running game and dared Fitz to beat them...

• Like (+1) 1

Purely conjecture, but I have a hard time believing the increased stunts and blitzes were not a directive coordinated by McDermott. Just not sure it's in Frazier's DNA regardless of the obvious need to creatively attack the LOS.

With the Bills front four lacking difference makers, THIS is what you have to do if you're going to create pressure and make the opposing QB uncomfortable.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Purely conjecture, but I have a hard time believing the increased stunts and blitzes were not a directive coordinated by McDermott. Just not sure it's in Frazier's DNA regardless of the obvious need to creatively attack the LOS.

With the Bills front four lacking difference makers, THIS is what you have to do if you're going to create pressure and make the opposing QB uncomfortable.

It’s clearly not in McDermott’s DNA either. He hasn’t waited 2.5 years to suddenly want to blitz a lot. He should though, because of Edmunds and Milano’s speed and playmaking ability. 

Check out the 2019 sack stats after 10 games:

11.5 from 5 different DT's

8.5 from 4 different DE's

5 from 3 difference LB's

4 from 4 different DB's

I don't have any of the pressure or hurry stats with me, but it's interesting how little our DE's actually contribute to the total sack number (8.5 of 29). I wonder how this compares to other 4-3 defenses?

Also, only Jordan Phillips stands out with 7 sacks. Otherwise, it's been a true team effort with 15 other players contributing to 22 sacks.

Make use of this info as you so please. My interpretation remains that this defense needs an All-Pro pass-rushing DE to be the truly elite defense we hoped we had earlier in the season (one that doesn't allow the Browns to march down the field for a game-winning TD drive, for example. Or one that can generate more than 0.6 interceptions a game, as another).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

They blitzed a lot more this week than have al season long.  Edmunds on a blitz has been pretty lethal.  If he didn’t get pressure it allowed one of the other defenders a chance to penetrate.  I’m hoping this is something they consider next week gains Denver and in Dallas.  Can those QB’s beat the blitz?

If they had blitzed Mayfield last week on that final drive we will be 8-2 now

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

D line played good- Miami line is really bad

So is Cleveland’s but we decided to play it safe, which worked for most of the game, but a gameplan like this probably would’ve turned Baker inside out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

You see when leslie Frazer dials up blitzes it works let that secondary you have prove how good it is and sell out to stop the run and blitz more.  Put fear in quarterbacks and make them nervous about buffalo front seven are they coming.  Good game by frazer today.  Let's build on it.

Go back and watch the game, I saw a few instances on the sideline where McD had the call sheet in his hand was was looking at it while calling it in

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

So is Cleveland’s but we decided to play it safe, which worked for most of the game, but a gameplan like this probably would’ve turned Baker inside out. 

I agree.

Fitz is probably still in an ice bath as we speak after the punishment he took today.?

Edited by Special K

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It’s clearly not in McDermott’s DNA either. He hasn’t waited 2.5 years to suddenly want to blitz a lot. He should though, because of Edmunds and Milano’s speed and playmaking ability. 

Agreed. Both LBs had terrific games. Mark it down, Milano is a Pro Bowler.

10 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

stats were misleading re DaVante Parker. He had a good game, and got two big chunk plays. But most of his catches were ones where Tre seemed to just be giving him a cushion (maybe because of how much they were blitzing).

Kevin Johnson looked terrific.

the big difference was the aggression by the front 7– tons of blitzing and really flying to the ball on run D. It was amazing! 

PS: why don’t you download the Sunday ticket app? You can watch the games streamed or after the fact on there. 

He’s in Japan. The games aren’t on @1:00pm there.?

8 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

It was very effective. The passing yards against will suffer though, as all receivers have single coverage when you bring the house. If the Bills decide to make the blitz more prevalent down the stretch, it will be reflected in yards against when we don’t get the sack.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1