Did the Bills defense really turn it on today, 7 sacks.....

billrooter

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

It was very effective. The passing yards against will suffer though, as all receivers have single coverage when you bring the house. If the Bills decide to make the blitz more prevalent down the stretch, it will be reflected in yards against when we don’t get the sack.

I don’t think they blitz as much going forward. However, they certainly needed to reestablish the threat of blitzing. Now that there’s a game on tape where they went ham with the pressure they can use the looks to disguise coverage again. We shall see. 

• Like (+1) 1

Fitz was always feast or famine when he played here when opposing teams blitzed.  The trick is disguising it and the Bills did a good job of that yesterday.  I'm glad we don't have to face him again.  I'd love to have him come here next year as our backup.

13 hours ago, billrooter said:

You guys will have to excuse me I have been working in Japan the last five and a half weeks and have not watched a game. Hopefully they are taping on the sunday ticket like I set them up to do but not sure with that revolving channel. I have only read the box scores up to this point and seen we had seven sacks, that is great hope it continues! Did the sacks look legit, when you get that many in a singlegame I would hope so? I was also wondering Devante Parker had a huge game, and noticed both Kevin Johnson and Levi had 4 tackles apiece, did Levi and Kevin split time? Who got torched by him today for the most part? Thanks guys and seems like a damn good game, Let's Go Buffalo!!!

You should get NFL Game Cast. Game replays on demand, and I think live games are available if you are outside North America.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Fitz was always feast or famine when he played here when opposing teams blitzed.  The trick is disguising it and the Bills did a good job of that yesterday.  I'm glad we don't have to face him again.  I'd love to have him come here next year as our backup.

Bad JuJu man. No need to bring the Fitzpatrick cycle back to Buffalo. 

I was surprised he didn't win it during the preseason.

By the way, anyone know what happened to Trent Murphy this afternoon? I see 8 players contributed to 7 sacks today, but our $9 million DE wasn't one of them.

------------

Levi is not the answer at CB2, but neither is Johnson though I feel he's a modest upgrade to Wallace at best. 

Trent is not as bad as people make him out. If you're looking for sacks from him forget it. His game is contain, sealing the edge and keeping plays at the LOS. And he does that pretty well. Not sexy, but consistent. I do feel like Star he is over paid for what he does. 

Edited by billsbackto81

14 hours ago, billrooter said:

You guys will have to excuse me I have been working in Japan the last five and a half weeks and have not watched a game. Hopefully they are taping on the sunday ticket like I set them up to do but not sure with that revolving channel. I have only read the box scores up to this point and seen we had seven sacks, that is great hope it continues! Did the sacks look legit, when you get that many in a singlegame I would hope so? I was also wondering Devante Parker had a huge game, and noticed both Kevin Johnson and Levi had 4 tackles apiece, did Levi and Kevin split time? Who got torched by him today for the most part? Thanks guys and seems like a damn good game, Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Welcome to the club.  I spent the last 3 years in Okinawa.  Wake up at 2 in the morning and watch the games like I did.  Well, now it's 3 in the morning with day lights saving. lol

14 hours ago, KayAdams said:

Check out the 2019 sack stats after 10 games:

11.5 from 5 different DT's

8.5 from 4 different DE's

5 from 3 difference LB's

4 from 4 different DB's

I don't have any of the pressure or hurry stats with me, but it's interesting how little our DE's actually contribute to the total sack number (8.5 of 29). I wonder how this compares to other 4-3 defenses?

Also, only Jordan Phillips stands out with 7 sacks. Otherwise, it's been a true team effort with 15 other players contributing to 22 sacks.

Make use of this info as you so please. My interpretation remains that this defense needs an All-Pro pass-rushing DE to be the truly elite defense we hoped we had earlier in the season (one that doesn't allow the Browns to march down the field for a game-winning TD drive, for example. Or one that can generate more than 0.6 interceptions a game, as another).

Murphy should not be starting. The film shows it. Laswon should be starting or at least getting an equal number of snaps. Hughes is still very good but just not at the 2017 level

17 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

stats were misleading re DaVante Parker. He had a good game, and got two big chunk plays. But most of his catches were ones where Tre seemed to just be giving him a cushion (maybe because of how much they were blitzing).

Kevin Johnson looked terrific.

the big difference was the aggression by the front 7– tons of blitzing and really flying to the ball on run D. It was amazing! 

PS: why don’t you download the Sunday ticket app? You can watch the games streamed or after the fact on there. 

It was basically garbage time pretty early on in this game. There was a lot of stat padding by Fitz and the receivers, but in the part of the game where they had a chance, they couldn't move the ball at all. 

16 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I think you blitz against both those teams, and the Steelers. It’s not going to work though against the patriots, where Brady’s rating against the blitz is like 157.0. Not sure about the ravens and Lamar— something tells me blitzing Lamar will cause him to break contain and run wild.

Beating lamar is going to be about confusing him - not blitzing.  That confusion needs to be through coverages not necessarily who's rushing whom.  You also just HAVE to contain their run game and tackle well.  Buffalo has a lot of speed at LB which helps.  It's also a home game - maybe we'll get some windy conditions to limit their down field attack.  

15 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

It was very effective. The passing yards against will suffer though, as all receivers have single coverage when you bring the house. If the Bills decide to make the blitz more prevalent down the stretch, it will be reflected in yards against when we don’t get the sack.

No doubt, but I'm perfectly fine with the trade off. There were times the blitz was picked up and Fitz had an easy throw. There were also times when Fitz was so rattled that he couldn't make an easy throw. And finally, there were times when Fitz threw so off balance that it could have easily lead to pick.

I'm perfectly fine sacrificing some yardage for an opportunity at more TO's and more negative plays. When you get those negative plays, the put the offense in negative down and distance which often leads to poor decisions and picks. You only need to get three/sometimes four consecutive stops in a drive. I want more opportunities at 2nd/3rd and 20 and blitzing is our best bet considering our less than stellar DE group.

On 11/18/2019 at 8:58 AM, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Welcome to the club.  I spent the last 3 years in Okinawa.  Wake up at 2 in the morning and watch the games like I did.  Well, now it's 3 in the morning with day lights saving. lol

Not there anymore home now, and where should I have watched them? Was not able to watch my directv over there, I take it you were stationed there and had a place to watch em? How did you like Japan, it was an experience but I was happy to get home after just 39 days but we might be in the works to go back at some point and where you were in fact Okinawa?

On 11/17/2019 at 4:39 PM, KayAdams said:

I was surprised he didn't win it during the preseason.

By the way, anyone know what happened to Trent Murphy this afternoon? I see 8 players contributed to 7 sacks today, but our $9 million DE wasn't one of them.

He played less than 50% of the snaps and the defense dominated because of it

On 11/18/2019 at 4:29 AM, billsbackto81 said:

Trent is not as bad as people make him out. If you're looking for sacks from him forget it. His game is contain, sealing the edge and keeping plays at the LOS. And he does that pretty well. Not sexy, but consistent. I do feel like Star he is over paid for what he does. 

I wish this was the case, but almost any big run we’ve had against us was the RB breaking containment against Murphy with him chasing behind. If containment & not pass rush is his game, that’s fine, but he’s got great at either & isn’t playing anywhere near his contract

1 hour ago, billrooter said:

Not there anymore home now, and where should I have watched them? Was not able to watch my directv over there, I take it you were stationed there and had a place to watch em? How did you like Japan, it was an experience but I was happy to get home after just 39 days but we might be in the works to go back at some point and where you were in fact Okinawa?

Absolutely loved it there.  I lived on Foster but worked on Kinser.  I spent time all over the island.  Sometimes the Bills game came on AFN, but when it didn't, I had to use the good 'ol fire stick.

2 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Absolutely loved it there.  I lived on Foster but worked on Kinser.  I spent time all over the island.  Sometimes the Bills game came on AFN, but when it didn't, I had to use the good 'ol fire stick.

Ok got ya, not sure how to honestly find the Bills on the fire stick, have had the ticket 20 some years and had hope to use that too watch. I guess maybe even a bigger issue would of been me starting my monday of burned out from me watching/trying to find them on the stick, had really wanted to watch my recordings of them. I am happy to be back in the states now for sure, Misawa was an experience but if we go to Okinawa at some point I am hoping there is a bit more to do honestly when we are actually off.