Josh Allen - week ELEVEN report card

rayray808

After watching - Patriots-Eagles, Niners-Cardinals, and Rams-Bears?  Even a bit of Watson against baltimore.  I feel a lot better about Allen.  People complain about the misses, but

Trubiskey is a year further along and seems more lost than 2018 Allen.  He barely throws the ball more than like 5 yards and most of them are boundary throws. 

Goff has a nice deep ball but he is very scattershot on throws that require even a little zip, and his pocket management is poor to say the least.  

Brady was missing on pretty much everything over 10 yards.  Wentz misses a lot... They beat us with run game and screens.  

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

After watching - Patriots-Eagles, Niners-Cardinals, and Rams-Bears?  Even a bit of Watson against baltimore.  I feel a lot better about Allen.  People complain about the misses, but

Trubiskey is a year further along and seems more lost than 2018 Allen.  He barely throws the ball more than like 5 yards and most of them are boundary throws. 

Goff has a nice deep ball but he is very scattershot on throws that require even a little zip, and his pocket management is poor to say the least.  

Brady was missing on pretty much everything over 10 yards.  Wentz misses a lot... They beat us with run game and screens.  

I agree with this as well - I watch other NFL games and in quite a few the QB's seem to struggle.   When you have receivers being covered and guys in your face and  your running for your life, its hard to be successful.  

Another good thing to note on Allen yesterday is regardless of how good the defense is or not, he ran the ball and didn't have any fumbles.  

20 hours ago, elijah said:

Give me a B+. 

Tremendous game, but A is an elite performance and he didn’t quite touch that yet.  Left a couple throws on the field and he still needs to throw with a bit more touch

You sound like my PChem professor.

"You got 95% on the main part of the test which would be an A but since you attempted the bonus question and got it wrong it results in a B+"

I legitimately started laughing and walked out.

As others have mentioned already, I like Allen's growth that we've seen so far compared to other recently drafted QB's. (Goff, Trubisky, Darnold etc...) I think having Daboll around to nurture Allen for his 1st 2 seasons has been a big plus and hope he sticks around for another season at least. Consistency is a big plus in my mind in a young QB's development. I also like seeing Allen stay in the pocket longer and throwing the ball away when the play dictates. Just having a young QB who wants to be the best he can be, putting in the time and effort to be all he can be AND wants to be HERE long term. Can't ask for much more IMHO. 

I had originally wanted the Bills to draft either Watson or Mahomes the year before but think they still did pretty well  getting both Allen and Tre White the way they did. These two players are definitely keepers and will help form the core of the Bills teams for years to come. Now the Bills have to keep building around these guys. It's also nice to see that "Smoke" is under contract for two more years at a very cost friendly price. Overall the future looks very bright for this team!

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/john-brown-14502/

Edited by DefenseWins

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I will never understand the fixation on 300 yards.  It's one of the least important game stats for a QB in any single game.

If we had Pat Mahomes, would you say that? It’s definitely an overrated stat but it’s insane how difficult it is for Bills qbs to reach it.  We have watched a lot of terrible, outdated football.

and Allen played great against a Terrible team. He is the new owner of the Fins. Now do it against a good team. 

29 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Now, if we can just convince the NFL to always give us a 16 game schedule of tanking teams, we are golden.

:lol:

If only we could play Miami every week, Allen would be an all time great. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If we had Pat Mahomes, would you say that? It’s definitely an overrated stat but it’s insane how difficult it is for Bills qbs to reach it.  We have watched a lot of terrible, outdated football.

and Allen played great against a Terrible team. He is the new owner of the Fins. Now do it against a good team. 

Of all the stats I would talk about with Mahomes the # of 300 yard games would be the last one I would throw out. 

# of TD's; lack of INT's; ability to get the ball to play makers; escapability in the pocket;  W/L record; would all come first.

That the Bills haven't had a QB throw for 300 yards in a few years is simply a statistical quirk.  Interesting but of little relevance.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Is it difficult for you to understand? 1. The Bills are a run the ball, play solid D type of team. 2. Josh is one of the better runners in the league and though he's not putting up last year's numbers, it's still a big part of his game. 3. The Bills have not trailed by any considerable amount pretty much all year which would force them to play catch up and abandon the run game. 4. McD is not a " run up the score" kinda coach. Once the Bills get a 10 point lead they go with a time consuming run offense and protect the lead prevent D. 

A lot of losers threw for over 300 yesterday. Big whoop.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A.

He played as well as you could hope. People discounting the opponent is non sense. Phins were on a two game win streak, divisional opponent on the road. It was really a deciding game for the Bills. If they had lost, the tailspin of seasons' past would have begun. Josh and the rest of the team handled their business like you'd expect a team looking towards the playoffs to handle it.

• Thank you (+1) 3

17 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

B+. Just the Dolphins and no 300 yards. 

Go hibernate.

5 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Sorry.  It was a joke.  I thought he was awesome yesterday.  Definitely his best game as a pro.

Okay, you can stay up, but right to bed after Walt Disney. (This will not make sense unless you are old.)

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Is it difficult for you to understand? 1. The Bills are a run the ball, play solid D type of team. 2. Josh is one of the better runners in the league and though he's not putting up last year's numbers, it's still a big part of his game. 3. The Bills have not trailed by any considerable amount pretty much all year which would force them to play catch up and abandon the run game. 4. McD is not a " run up the score" kinda coach. Once the Bills get a 10 point lead they go with a time consuming run offense and protect the lead prevent D. 

A lot of losers threw for over 300 yesterday. Big whoop.

So did a lot of winners.  It’s amazing how fans rationalize poor offensive play.  

not one person says he needs to hit 300 yards every week.  But stop with all the excuses.  Hopefully, Allen can start playing like he does against Miami for other teams.