Props where they are due: Ed Oliver

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Not to be that guy, but what exactly did he do in the game that I missed?  

A sack is a sack, but the dude wasn’t blocked.  He ran in a straight line. 

He did track down a player, but his motor wasn’t questioned.  

I don’t remember seeing him be disruptive against blocks or generate and pressure himself.  Is everyone just looking at those two plays?

Check out Cover_1 on Twitter. Erik tweets about Oliver quite often, since fans ask about his impact all the time. 

Ex: https://twitter.com/Cover_1_/status/1196257055407034368

EDIT: If I knew how to embed a tweet, I'd have done it here to make it easier.

Edited by junior12thman92
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Fair assessment. Too light in the pants against the run.

I think you have to play Lugiet, Phillips, and Star on the running downs and just have Ed be in mostly on passing situations (second and long, third and long.) I think he just needs a full off-season of NFL strength and conditioning to add some strength and size in a way that wouldn't impact his quickness. If he can just be an OK rush defender I think he can be a Pro-Bowl caliber player as he is already a disruptive penetrator as a rookie (although a bit inconsistent but he is a 21 year old rookie.) 

But he has the frame to add some bulk without losing his quickness which should help him become a better run defender. 

16 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Oliver in my opinion has proved he can be a disruptive pass down DT. He has been a bit exposed in the rush defense department. Going forward I think he figures it out. But against better teams he should only be in on passing downs. 

He hasn't played the run that poorly. He hasn't been noticeably worse than Star or Jordan Phillips in the run game in my opinion. But the staff obviously prefer the other guys when they are just trying to take the run away hence Ed's snaps went down. This week when they wanted to be aggressive and get after the passer they were back up above 50% and Star's snaps were down as a result. It does look like it is a gameplan specific thing. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

He hasn't played the run that poorly. He hasn't been noticeably worse than Star or Jordan Phillips in the run game in my opinion. But the staff obviously prefer the other guys when they are just trying to take the run away hence Ed's snaps went down. This week when they wanted to be aggressive and get after the passer they were back up above 50% and Star's snaps were down as a result. It does look like it is a gameplan specific thing. 

I think he looked very bad against the run since the Eagles game. It looked to me that he was at least decent against the run early in the season. But since the bye he has looked soft against the run. Once again hoping the Liuget helps the team in that regard as Phillips is an average run defender and Star has seeming gone soft. Oliver I would hide in passing situations as that is his strength at this point in his career. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

I think he looked very bad against the run since the Eagles game. It looked to me that he was at least decent against the run early in the season. But since the bye he has looked soft against the run. Once again hoping the Liuget helps the team in that regard as Phillips is an average run defender and Star has seeming gone soft. Oliver I would hide in passing situations as that is his strength at this point in his career. 

I don't agree. The big problem in the run game has been linebacker gap discipline. Not Ed Oliver. 

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree. The big problem in the run game has been linebacker gap discipline. Not Ed Oliver. 

The linebackers have been a part of the problem but the D-line has been used and abused in the run game as well. The run defense has been a total failure since the bye week with the exception of this past weeks game and the second half of the Skins game. 

Loved the tackle Oliver made on the wr Parker for the Phins yesterday. It was a pickup of 10 yards and a first down, but if Ed doesn’t make that tackle it could of been a much bigger pickup into Bill territory. It showed Oliver’s speed and hustle. The Phins were stopped on the next set of downs and punted. 

22 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Loved the tackle Oliver made on the wr Parker for the Phins yesterday. It was a pickup of 10 yards and a first down, but if Ed doesn’t make that tackle it could of been a much bigger pickup into Bill territory. It showed Oliver’s speed and hustle. The Phins were stopped on the next set of downs and punted. 

I just watched that play again. Oliver rushed hard and was 4-5 yards into the Fins backfield when Fitz threw. He immediately turned and ran full speed after the receiver and caught him from behind. Just tremendous play and effort. Hughes does that but no one else. 

• Like (+1) 1