Can the Detractors Now Admit Allen's Growth?

H2o

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

As a resident Allen detractor, I thought he did a lot of encouraging things early in the season that were stronger evidence of growth than today . Not that he didn't play great today - he did, but this Miami Dolphins team is one of the worst squads I've seen in the last 30 years. It's hard to use them as much of a barometer of anything. It's essentially a pre-season game that counts.

What does that say about the teams the Fish have beat this season? Just saying, they’re hardly the measure of all-time worst, bad as they no doubt are overall. 

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

The way I interpret "aggressive," is "in a groove," and I agree 100%.  Gotta keep the pace up with Allen.  He flourishes in that setting.

I keep saying it but more than any QB I can ever remember Josh Allen is a rhythm Quarterback. His first throw of a drive so often is definitive of what the drive will be. If his first pass hits he looks a totally different Quarterback - he is decisive in his reads, the ball starts coming out on time and he is not just accurate he is pretty precise. When the first throw is off the mark even if the Bills go and convert a first down he never quite seems "in a groove" on that drive as a result. He was largely in the groove last night. The play calling, while not perfect (I hate endzone fades - even before you throw one to a sub 6ft receiver), was pretty good and the Bills got things clicking nicely. I get the people saying "Ah it is only the Dolphins..." but this was better than what we have seen against some less than stellar opponents in other games recently.

Why I have always been a Josh Allen fan is that he seems like a learner.  Some quarterbacks make the same mistakes over and over.  (How many times did JP Losman try to loop out of the pocket and turn his back on the defense, only to lose like 15 yards on a sack.)  Last year, the mid range passes with air under them were a weakness of Allen's and this year they are much better.  In the Patriots game, the interceptions were a problem, so he hasn't thrown one since (and may even be trying too hard not to throw interceptions).  At this point, it seems Allen can do just about everything you want a quarterback to do (except that deep ball).

What's frustrating is he never seems to be able to put everything together in one game....I keep thinking it is going to happen and we will have that "wow" game, but not yet.  In this game, we saw Allen read defenses better than he has been doing, and also beat pressure than in recent games.  However, I think it was actually one of his least accurate games.  I was one who disagreed with the "inaccurate" label (or at least found it to be....well...inaccurate).  If he threw the ball on a line, he could the ball in tight windows consistently.  This game his ball seemed to be frequently a yard or two off, and sometimes was caught and sometimes not.  I think of the sideline pass to McKenzie that was short or the out to Brown that led him way too much.  As I said, I think he is normally accurate with those throws.  It's just one more case of when he does everything else well, what he normally does well slips.  It's very odd.

How about we keep not judging Allen week to week as "boom" or "bust" but look to see if it's overall a trending line up or down? 

He is much better than last year in the important areas: Turnovers, staying in the pocket, completions on intermediate throws. He has retained confidence, clutch ability, ability to run. 

He needs to work on a complete game and deeper balls. 

As this season has gone on, he's developing chemistry with his team, which is important with 9 new starters.

Beane will find him a big downfield target this off-season. Beasley is nice in the slot but gets knocked over by the wind. Brown is a very good WR but is also not a YAC or 50-50 guy. They don't necessarily need a name #1--but they do need a guy who can go deep with size and be a big target on a slant. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, fergie's ire said:

Why I have always been a Josh Allen fan is that he seems like a learner.  Some quarterbacks make the same mistakes over and over.  (How many times did JP Losman try to loop out of the pocket and turn his back on the defense, only to lose like 15 yards on a sack.)  Last year, the mid range passes with air under them were a weakness of Allen's and this year they are much better.  In the Patriots game, the interceptions were a problem, so he hasn't thrown one since (and may even be trying too hard not to throw interceptions).  At this point, it seems Allen can do just about everything you want a quarterback to do (except that deep ball).

What's frustrating is he never seems to be able to put everything together in one game....I keep thinking it is going to happen and we will have that "wow" game, but not yet.  In this game, we saw Allen read defenses better than he has been doing, and also beat pressure than in recent games.  However, I think it was actually one of his least accurate games.  I was one who disagreed with the "inaccurate" label (or at least found it to be....well...inaccurate).  If he threw the ball on a line, he could the ball in tight windows consistently.  This game his ball seemed to be frequently a yard or two off, and sometimes was caught and sometimes not.  I think of the sideline pass to McKenzie that was short or the out to Brown that led him way too much.  As I said, I think he is normally accurate with those throws.  It's just one more case of when he does everything else well, what he normally does well slips.  It's very odd.

64% completion rate, and how many total touchdowns?

• Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

However, I think it was actually one of his least accurate games.  I was one who disagreed with the "inaccurate" label (or at least found it to be....well...inaccurate).  If he threw the ball on a line, he could the ball in tight windows consistently.  This game his ball seemed to be frequently a yard or two off, and sometimes was caught and sometimes not.  I think of the sideline pass to McKenzie that was short or the out to Brown that led him way too much.  As I said, I think he is normally accurate with those throws.  It's just one more case of when he does everything else well, what he normally does well slips.  It's very odd.

250+ passing, 3 TDs passing...60 on the ground and 1 TD rushing. And in the last 10 minutes, they were in eat the clock mode. 

And you're complaining about his 64% completion rate? Everyone misses some passes. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Thank you (+1) 2

McDermott tells him to play fearlessly and Daboll goes up into the booth. Not hard to suspect a connection between the two, especially (as another poster pointed out) how on the sideline Daboll gets into his face after every mistake. Does anyone respond to that? Nice to vent your emotions but not at the expense of a guy who needs to know why he made the mistake and get ready for the next series. I wonder how Daboll would do if McDermott got in his face, publicly, after he makes a bone-headed mistake. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

The way I interpret "aggressive," is "in a groove," and I agree 100%.  Gotta keep the pace up with Allen.  He flourishes in that setting.

That’s one of the reasons I really loved seeing all of the no huddle employed yesterday—and it looked like the Dolphins struggled to keep up with what was hitting them. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

He completed 64% of his passes today.  Stop it.  You're trying too hard to go against the grain and you look silly.  Don't you have a supermodel to take to dinner?

You’re such a hypocrite.   You completely dismissed this game Taylor had against Miami.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201612240buf.htm

he played really good against a really bad team.  Now do it against Dallas and Pittsburgh.  

and what psychopath goes out to dinner on Sunday.  That’s the day of football. Friday’s and Wednesday’s are date nights. 

Another thing to look at, aside from Josh completely flipping his TD to INT ratio over the last 6 weeks, is his baseline stats. Now I agree that stats do not tell the whole story. We have all seen him struggle at times on the field in certain games this year. But for a young man who was as raw as he was coming out of college, only having started 21 games now in the NFL, after playing against lesser opponents in college for the most part, and not having a plethora of talent around him at said college, he is completing passes at a 60.3% clip while being on pace for basically 3,500 yards passing with 20 TD passes to 11 INT's and 530 yards rushing with 11 more TD's to go with it. That's 4,000 yards of production and 30+ total TD's. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

You don’t consider a 40 yard TD throw to smoke a deep ball ? 

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

The ball was only thrown on a rope traveling 30 yards in the air. It doesn't count. He has to throw it in the air 60 on a dime for it to be considered a deep ball. :rolleyes::lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, finn said:

McDermott tells him to play fearlessly and Daboll goes up into the booth. Not hard to suspect a connection between the two, especially (as another poster pointed out) how on the sideline Daboll gets into his face after every mistake. Does anyone respond to that? Nice to vent your emotions but not at the expense of a guy who needs to know why he made the mistake and get ready for the next series. I wonder how Daboll would do if McDermott got in his face, publicly, after he makes a bone-headed mistake. 

I agree with this.

Plus the fact that Daboll started the first series with a run by Singletary...a 22 yard run which caused the Dolphins defense to start keying on him. While Singletary didn't have a great day, it also took a lot of pressure off Allen in the pocket.

Also, it looked like Daboll called a better game and that might be because he was up top looking over the entire field of play.This week the offense was very balanced with 34 runs vs 33 passes. Not so many penalties either with only 5 for 50 yards. 

The Bills defense finally beat up on a lesser opponent and the Bills finally blew away a team that they should have blown up. 

Lastly, I gotta give a hats off to Fitz as he is such a gamer, knows he is on a 2-7 losing team and yet still plays his heart out! 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

The ball was only thrown on a rope traveling 30 yards in the air. It doesn't count. He has to throw it in the air 60 on a dime for it to be considered a deep ball. :rolleyes::lol:

So he has to throw it from his side of the field and the receiver has to catch it in the end zone , got it ? ?

Edited by Putin

26 minutes ago, Putin said:

Nope.  I don't.  These are the kinds of deep balls that Allen would throw last year....on a line.  I have yet to see him drop a ball over the shoulder of a deep receiver...a true "bomb." The only time I have seen that kind of throw was a pass to Foster last year, who was wide open, so he did not have to drop it over a defender.

14 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Wait 1 game? I want consistency... EVERYONE wants consistency. ***** people put up these attack threads over 1 game, its pathetic.

Throw out the Pats*** game and Josh has accounted for 19 TDs against 7 turnovers in the other 9 games.  He hasn't thrown a pick in 5 weeks.  And even if we keep the Pats*** game it's still 20/10.  Over 60% completion percentage.

Consistent enough for ya?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, H2o said:

Actually "on a rope" is the reason it doesn't count.  I'm not talking about the distance it traveled but the type of throw...something with air under it.  it doesn't have to be sixty yards, but it has to be able to get to a receiver who has a defender on his back.

4 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Actually "on a rope" is the reason it doesn't count.  I'm not talking about the distance it traveled but the type of throw...something with air under it.  it doesn't have to be sixty yards, but it has to be able to get to a receiver who has a defender on his back.

You’re being silly at this point

• Like (+1) 1