Can the Detractors Now Admit Allen's Growth?

H2o

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

"HOLY CRAP! Allen beat the DOLPHINS! Ha, told ya! FRANCHISE GUY SUCKAS!" ?

OP begins "Against a team he was supposed to put up good numbers against, Allen comes through." After briefly giving relevant statistics it ends, "He was calm in the pocket, went to his 2nd and 3rd read, put a lot of passes right on the money so the WR could get YAC, beat the blitz on a number of occasions, used his legs when the opportunity presented itself, and he didn't throw an INT for the 5th straight game. The young man is growing as a QB and that should be evident to all." Neither the tone, nor the substance has any connection to the idiotic hyperbole with which you conclude your assessment. Ridiculous counter-narratives don't work that well when everyone can read the original.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, notwoz said:

Doing well against a team he was expected to do well against ... is that growth? If I wrote something like that on my self-evaluation at work, I'd get a "meets expectations" rating from my boss and a raise that fell into the average category.  The Bills have some difficult opponents down the stretch. Let's see how he does. Then we can realistically discuss his growth. 

On 11/17/2019 at 5:06 PM, H2o said:

I understand your point, but if he hadn't had this type of performance today the Nancy's would have been out in full force. He's improving as a QB and not turning it over in the process. In the last 6 games he has 10 TD's to 1 INT and he has led the team to more W's than we had all of last season in just 10 games. 

I've already answered a similar post to this. 

3 hours ago, TH3 said:

Agree.  ALLEN IS A BUST! Start tanking now!

3 hours ago, TH3 said:

Nooooo!  Since actual stats show improvement we need to grade JA by such ambiguous factors like “flashes of greatness” and “factors”....and compare him to others in completely different situations so we can mark him down to match our preconceived narratives!

t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

1 hour ago, Kiva said:

I’m watching the Bills.  You?

If you are watching a deer in headlights then you are not watching Josh Allen.  

A deer in headlights does not do this

So go ahead and troll on 

And there is this 

"Josh Allen finished with a 117.7 passer rating, no sacks, no turnovers, and was responsible for four touchdowns. I think it was his best game as a Buffalo Bill."

and this

Since Week 7, no one in the NFL has more total touchdowns (12) than @JoshAllenQB.    ? ?  ? 

• Like (+1) 2

He's trending up  Statistically in the middle in most categories.  Slowly creeping up. I don't think we have seen near his ceiling but right now he would rank as a lower end starter.  There will be more lows and highs I am sure before the year is out.  Few things that really stand out is cutting down on both taking sacks and ints 

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

If you are watching a deer in headlights then you are not watching Josh Allen.  

A deer in headlights does not do this

So go ahead and troll on 

He has to play smarter, consistently and not play immature and scared. Sunday was his first game he didn’t look petrified out there. 

Like I stated before, I’m still on the fence with Josh. He was supposed to improve tremendously this year and has regressed. I need to see consistency. 

• Sad 1

Josh Allen has had a QB rating of 100+ in 4 out of his last 6 games.

10 TD's with 1 int

With another 4 Rushing Touchdowns to add to that.

Not sure how anyone in their right mind can possibly say that he is not progressing and progressing very nicely at that.

Not to mention that the Bills have a 4-2 record during that time period.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Kiva said:

He has to play smarter, consistently and not play immature and scared. Sunday was his first game he didn’t look petrified out there. 

Like I stated before, I’m still on the fence with Josh. He was supposed to improve tremendously this year and has regressed. I need to see consistency. 

that is just sad man just sad. 

off to the ignore list 

7 minutes ago, Kiva said:

Ok now I know you're not serious.

Regressed? In what way? 

Like I said, there's no possible way that you're serious about that 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kiva said:

You can't be serious. If you are- you know nothing about reading body language

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I would love to see you try and defend this one.

My mistake, just saw the purple username. Wasting my time on a previously banned poster.

Lol. What is the topic of this thread? No problem, mistakes happen.  

Edited by Kiva

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point is: you can't reasonably address the question of how he's improving (or whether he's improving) just looking at this season.

You have to look at where he started last year vs where he is now.  At the end of the season it may be fair to look at the whole season and say "if we do a rolling average on 4 games, do we see a trend up? or not?" but otherwise, given the week to week variation in the quality of opponents, there's just too much noise.    What would you have as an R2 value on that trendline?  0.01?  Yeah, 10 points, that much scatter, not working. 

Even his full body of work at this point is really not significant enough to have validity as a trend.  So what you're saying amounts to, "sure, the trendlines have no statistically significant validity, but we can for sure see he's plateaued".  It doesn't work like that.  Even if you can run a t-test and say the 95% confidence interval is between 174-261 yds, it doesn't mean Allen has "plateaued" because as pointed out, the biggest steps in a QB's development usually come between seasons with new personnel and off-season work on identified issues.  He's not a mouse and we're not studying maze-running-time here.

I was trying to find the Allen interview on One Bills Live and not succeeding, but I did catch a snippet where one of them (Tasker?) was discussing a talk with a Sr Bills FO person who said it's really not necessary to have a referendum on Josh Allen week by week.  He's playing now, and when he finishes the year then we'll look at his whole body of work over the season and benchmark where he is and how he progressed from year 1 to 2.

I didn't say "for sure" anything. And that's fine but then you can't have it both ways. You can't say he's improving and then out of the other side of your mouth shoot down any evidence to the contrary by saying we can't judge him in the middle of a season. Personally, I think we can judge him at various points and that's ok. I agree that we'll likely have a better feel by the end of this season. 

Also, I posted a disclaimer with the graphs acknowledging the error in the trend line and the problems of doing this kind of analysis, but like I said the exercise is still valuable IMO to get some idea of the direction he's heading. That is the topic we're discussing. It's nice to have data, and the results match my eye test. He improved a lot pre vs. post injury last year, and has improved some over the course of this year mostly through an increase efficiency wrt turnovers.   

Edited by VW82

I think some people feel that the team needs to play to thier level of expectations for them to be able to enjoy the season. I think we all have a variety of expectations honestly. 

I can admit I was negative about the offense twords Tyrod's last year in Buffalo. Even when people we're still supportive. I do have an understanding of why people are critical. I definitely didn't try to ruin people's experience by being negative every post I made. 

People that want to be critical should understand that some of us just want to enjoy the season for what it is. You don't have to be hoping that the team loses before every game so you have one more opportunity to throw negativity around. 

We don't need to be reminded after a bad play that you think the team has flaws. You don't need to bring up the easy schedule hundreds of times as a reason you can't enjoy a winning record. 

I don't disagree that the team has flaws and plenty of room for improvement. I don't think people have much reason to not enjoy the season. Even in games the Bills win people were calling it a loss.

I'm not against the detractors. I just think it would be better if they relaxed a little and enjoy the season because it isn't as bad as they make it out to be. 

• Like (+1) 4

I know a few Pittsburgh fans who always complained about Big Ben, even though they won 2 Super Bowls with him. If you watch Rothlisburger You understand why fans can be frustrated with him. 
I watched Brady look like an old washed up QB yesterday for stretches of the game.

We all need to understand no QB is making every throw. They all make mistakes and bad plays. Allen is progressing as good as can be expected and that’s with a less than perfect OC.

48 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I didn't say "for sure" anything. And that's fine but then you can't have it both ways. You can't say he's improving and then out of the other side of your mouth shoot down any evidence to the contrary by saying we can't judge him in the middle of a season.

I think I'm consistent.  I'm saying that I believe he's improving and my evidence is to compare last season to this season.  That's not "the other side of my mouth", that's making a point about comparing a QB's body of work year to year to look for change vs trying to go game to game or even looking over several games. 

I appreciate your disclaimer, but it appeared you then used the graphs to reach a conclusion supported by the one with less data.

Doesn't really matter, the point is: we agree Allen isn't where he needs to be.  Allen agrees he isn't where he needs to be or wants to be.

Either he'll get there, or he won't.

5 hours ago, london_bills said:

Good take. 

'PRO ALLEN' people need to be patient as well as 'ALLEN HATERS' . We need to see how things go down the stretch against tough teams and put that together with what we have seen for a clearer picture. 

Nah. Screw patience. I’m enjoying the ride, albeit with occasional bouts of motion sickness.  I’m spending my money on Bills tickets, Sunday Ticket, and some gear.  I see improvement, that’s all I really care about. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I don't even disagree that Allen is showing growth, only stating how ridiculous the idea behind this thread is. "HOLY CRAP! Allen beat the DOLPHINS! Ha, told ya! FRANCHISE GUY SUCKAS!" ?

Maybe the idea behind this thread is exactly what the subject line says: Can detractors admit that Allen has shown growth?

Glad to hear that's a "Y" for you

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Nah. Screw patience. I’m enjoying the ride, albeit with occasional bouts of motion sickness.  I’m spending my money on Bills tickets, Sunday Ticket, and some gear.  I see improvement, that’s all I really care about. 

I'm in the moment with it aswell. Got an Allen shirt ?. I wanna see how he does down the stretch 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1