Can the Detractors Now Admit Allen's Growth?

H2o

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I mean no one is calling for him to be benched, but many are waiting for that signature game. This isn't it.

Beat Denver and then go play well on the road vs Dallas.

The offense scored on 7 drives and he made zero big mistakes and made several big plays. What is your definition of signature game? 300 yds? Or a game where he helps the offense control the game?

As a resident Allen detractor, I thought he did a lot of encouraging things early in the season that were stronger evidence of growth than today . Not that he didn't play great today - he did, but this Miami Dolphins team is one of the worst squads I've seen in the last 30 years. It's hard to use them as much of a barometer of anything. It's essentially a pre-season game that counts.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

As a resident Allen detractor, I thought he did a lot of encouraging things early in the season that were stronger evidence of growth than today . Not that he didn't play great today - he did, but this Miami Dolphins team is one of the worst squads I've seen in the last 30 years. It's hard to use them as much of a barometer of anything. It's essentially a pre-season game that counts.

There have been plenty of teams worse than this fins team from year to year.  They aren’t even the worst team in this given season.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The offense scored on 7 drives and he made zero big mistakes and made several big plays. What is your definition of signature game? 300 yds? Or a game where he helps the offense control the game?

Not that. Do it vs a good team. Allen showed last year he can put points vs Miami. It's definitely good he can do that.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Btw.  That throw to brown can be made by 3 players in NFL.  Rodgers mahomes and allen.  A rope just over the underneath coverage and before help can get there over top.  

Isn’t that the thing? Allen has a special arm.  He also can completely miss an open Brown on a crossing route that could have been like a 70 yard.

i don’t think anyone questions his ability.   If he lacks consistency and that’s what makes great qbs.  

If the question is "has Josh improved since week one 2018?" then the answer is definitely yes.

If the question is "has Josh improved since week one 2019?" then it gets a little murkier. 

2089397284_untitledcareerpassing.thumb.png.af5fb95b08d8e9ba83cbc30a59d76c08.png1753443935_untitledcareerpasserrating.thumb.png.aefdc476f8f9eb4d85108a6ccaac371e.png353766297_untitled2019passingyards.thumb.png.46229f47797baeb143b37dad1ef8e4b3.png1712362409_untitled2019passerrating.thumb.png.e396a36356a0aee046adc76cb3be822d.png

Disclaimer: I would caution against putting too much emphasis in the regression lines as there's a lot of error built into them. I do think it's still useful to provide a best fit visual representation to give some idea of what direction he's moving in.

I think the numbers tell us fairly plainly that Josh is probably going to give you anywhere between 150-250 yards every week (ignoring runs) with a passer rating between 70-110. His production has plateaued but he's becoming more efficient by eliminating mistakes.  For this team that's good enough to win games because we have a good defense, but Josh is going to have to find a way to continue improving his production for us to get to the next level. 225 passing yards isn't going to get it done in the playoffs, and most years it isn't good enough to get you there in the first place.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Once again, the Bills beat a stiff! The REAL test comes after the Broncos game, which I expect them to win:

@ Cowgirls on Thanksgiving

Then Ravens

Then @ Pitt

Finally @ Patsies. 

I’d be satisfied, no thrilled with 2/4 of those. One of 4 is essential to make the Playoffs! 

As for Josh, these are his strengths as I see them so far:

* Explosive Runner, especially on the Rollout & getting out of the pocket

* Quick, short slant passes for First Downs

* Roll out throws to the sidelines.

* 4th. Down sneaks, because of size and ability to make a quick decision. 

Minuses?

* Can’t throw deep with any accuracy

* Has difficulty with multiple reads

* Has trouble making some quick decisions

* Lacks the ability to rack up a huge passing game, leading to TDs.

* Lack of touch on medium length throws to the End Zone.

Verdict?

Keep analyzing the rest of the year.

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not that. Do it vs a good team. Allen showed last year he can put points vs Miami. It's definitely good he can do that.

I get what you are saying- he has had only two shots at that this year and he did not win either- I am more of a you play your schedule guy.

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He also can completely miss an open Brown on a crossing route that could have been like a 70 yard.

This is weak. 4 total TDs, 0 turnovers, 0 sacks. You can pick out a bad play for any QB in every game. Allen led the offense to 37 points. You're gonna complain about that?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is weak. 4 total TDs, 0 turnovers, 0 sacks. You can pick out a bad play for any QB in every game. Allen led the offense to 37 points. You're gonna complain about that?

Take a second and think about who you are engaging with. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I don’t think that’s a realistic take of the Dolphins recent performance.  They got thumped in their first 4 games to the Ravens, Patriots, Cowboys, and Chargers. But they seem to have regrouped with the bye week then changing QB to Ryan Fitzmagic and they’ve played the last 5 opponents pretty tough, including the Steelers and a win over the Colts.

They’re not even the worst squad this year, let alone the last 30.

I’m not saying they’re a great team or a strong team, but they’re not a “preseason game that counts” either.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Isn’t that the thing? Allen has a special arm.  He also can completely miss an open Brown on a crossing route that could have been like a 70 yard.

i don’t think anyone questions his ability.   If he lacks consistency and that’s what makes great qbs.  

He completed 64% of his passes today.  Stop it.  You're trying too hard to go against the grain and you look silly.  Don't you have a supermodel to take to dinner?

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I have the same concerns. He played well today.

However I'm always comparing him to the best in my mind like Rodgers, Wilson and thinking of the Bills against one of those teams. the missed short pass to gore drove me nuts. I can't recall the brown one

39 minutes ago, VW82 said:

If the question is "has Josh improved since week one 2018?" then the answer is definitely yes.

If the question is "has Josh improved since week one 2019?" then it gets a little murkier. 

2089397284_untitledcareerpassing.thumb.png.af5fb95b08d8e9ba83cbc30a59d76c08.png1753443935_untitledcareerpasserrating.thumb.png.aefdc476f8f9eb4d85108a6ccaac371e.png353766297_untitled2019passingyards.thumb.png.46229f47797baeb143b37dad1ef8e4b3.png1712362409_untitled2019passerrating.thumb.png.e396a36356a0aee046adc76cb3be822d.png

Disclaimer: I would caution against putting too much emphasis in the regression lines as there's a lot of error built into them. I do think it's still useful to provide a best fit visual representation to give some idea of what direction he's moving in.

I think the numbers tell us fairly plainly that Josh is probably going to give you anywhere between 150-250 yards every week (ignoring runs) with a passer rating between 70-110. His production has plateaued but he's becoming more efficient by eliminating mistakes.  For this team that's good enough to win games because we have a good defense, but Josh is going to have to find a way to continue improving his production for us to get to the next level. 225 passing yards isn't going to get it done in the playoffs, and most years it isn't good enough to get you there in the first place.

I’d just like to point out that your passing yards and passer rating regression lines are trending up.

That doesn’t support the contention that “the numbers tell us fairly plainly he will give you 150-250 yards every week” or that his production has plateaued.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

He completed 64% of his passes today.  Stop it.  You're trying too hard to go against the grain and you look silly.  Don't you have a supermodel to take to dinner?

He played well no doubt. Allen looks way better when he's aggressive (best word I can think to describe his mindset). 

Its the short misses (that barely happened today) but did a few times that frustrate me

5 minutes ago, london_bills said:

However I'm always comparing him to the best in my mind like Rodgers, Wilson

Really? Why are you comparing Allen to Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers? They weren't who they are today in their 2nd season. Wilson was still leaning on his run game and defense and Rodgers was riding the bench. This is just weird. I'm not comparing Allen to anyone other than himself. Keep improving.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1