Gronk says big announcement coming on Tuesday *updated - not returning to NFL

Virgil

On 11/18/2019 at 12:02 PM, dave mcbride said:

He was a better player than both of those guys. First off, he was a MUCH better blocker (he was an elite blocker for a TE), and his postseason production in basically a full season of games is off-the-charts great.

Blocking is how you decide who is the best TE in history?

Gronk is 32 TD behind Tony G and 37 behind Antonio G

Gronk has 3,900 less yards than Gates, 7,266 yards behind Gonzalez

Gronk had 434 less Receptions than Antonio Gates, 804 less receptions than Gonzalez

Gronk is nowhere near even in the same convo as those guys other than the playoff stats.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Blocking is how you decide who is the best TE in history?

Gronk is 32 TD behind Tony G and 37 behind Antonio G

Gronk has 3,900 less yards than Gates, 7,266 yards behind Gonzalez

Gronk had 434 less Receptions than Antonio Gates, 804 less receptions than Gonzalez

Gronk is nowhere near even in the same convo as those guys other than the playoff stats.

Those are mere counting stats. He was more dominant in the peak years of his career than those guys, and Gonzalez was basically a slow WR who couldn't block.  Gates isn't in the same conversation as Gronkowski.  I mean, Craig Biggio got 3,000 hits. Was he better than Joe DiMaggio? Also, Gronkowski played in 16 postseason games. He had 81 catches for 1,163 yards, 14.4 ypc, and 12 TDs. Those are the biggest games and against the best teams, and those are first-team all-pro numbers for a single season. 

He averaged, per a sixteen-game season, 72.5 catches, 1,095 yards, 15.1 ypc, and 11 TDs.  15.1 ypc lifetime is unbelievably great. Gonzalez averaged 11.4 ypc and 6.6 TDs per season. He just played forever. 

As for blocking, yes, it matters. Look at the Pats run game with him in there vs. without him. He was dominant for a TE, and his dominance opened the offense up in ways that go beyond measure. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Those are mere counting stats. He was more dominant in the peak years of his career than those guys, and Gonzalez was basically a slow WR who couldn't block.  Gates isn't in the same conversation as Gronkowski.  I mean, Craig Biggio got 3,000 hits. Was he better than Joe DiMaggio? Also, Gronkowski played in 16 postseason games. He had 81 catches for 1,163 yards, 14.4 ypc, and 12 TDs. Those are the biggest games and against the best teams, and those are first-team all-pro numbers for a single season. 

Wait you blow off the mere counting stats then use mere counting playoff stats as your point? There really isn't even a debate as the mere stats shows. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Wait you blow off the mere counting stats then use mere counting playoff stats as your point? There really isn't even a debate as the mere stats shows. 

No, "mere counting stats" are cumulative lifetime numbers rather than seasonal averages or ypc averages. 

Again, he averaged, per a sixteen-game season, 72.5 catches, 1,095 yards, 15.1 ypc, and 11 TDs.  15.1 ypc lifetime is unbelievably great (Jerry Rice averaged 14.8). Gonzalez averaged 11.4 ypc and 6.6 TDs per season. He just played forever. 

As for blocking, yes, it matters. Look at the Pats run game with him in there vs. without him. He was dominant for a TE, and his dominance opened the offense up in ways that go beyond measure. 

Edited by dave mcbride

On 11/18/2019 at 9:02 AM, dave mcbride said:

He was a better player than both of those guys. First off, he was a MUCH better blocker (he was an elite blocker for a TE), and his postseason production in basically a full season of games is off-the-charts great.

It's really not even arguable.  People who think Gates or Gonzalez were better are just going off of fantasy stats accrued over more years in the league--like saying Frank Gore (as good as he is) was better than OJ Simpson. 

As you point out, Gronk was an outstanding blocker and was the biggest matchup nightmare I think I've ever seen.  In his prime, he was pretty much unstoppable.   And his playoff/Super Bowl stats are simply other-worldly.  No other TE will ever come close to matching them.    

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

It's really not even arguable.  People who think Gates or Gonzalez were better are just going off of fantasy stats accrued over more years in the league--like saying Frank Gore (as good as he is) was better than OJ Simpson. 

As you point out, Gronk was an outstanding blocker and was the biggest matchup nightmare I think I've ever seen.  In his prime, he was pretty much unstoppable.   And his playoff/Super Bowl stats are simply other-worldly.  No other TE will ever come close to matching them.  

Yep, and also, who was the guy Brady went to in the biggest moments? Remember that unbelievable 4th and long catch he made down the field vs Denver in the 2015 AFC championship game in the last minute? They lost that game largely because Brady didn't throw to an open Gronk on the 2 pt conversion. 

Re your comparison above, it's a bit like Sandy Koufax. He only had 165 wins, but he was hands down the best pitcher of his era in his prime. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Yep, and also, who was the guy Brady went to in the biggest moments? Remember that unbelievable 4th and long catch he made down the field vs Denver in the 2015 AFC championship game in the last minute? They lost that game largely because Brady didn't throw to an open Gronk on the 2 pt conversion. 

The fact is, other than the QB, Gronk was far and away the Pats' best player during their (unprecedented and still ongoing) dynasty.  

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Those aren't "counting stats".  They are stats earned against the best teams in the league each year, on the biggest stage, and the per game numbers are just staggering.  They are the opposite of "counting stats".   

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Re your comparison above, it's a bit like Sandy Koufax. He only had 165 wins, but he was hands down the best pitcher of his era in his prime. 

True, although Gronk had a long career by NFL standards and he was wildly productive throughout.  His career was "short" only in comparison to Gates and Gonzalez, both of whom played long past their primes and neither of whom was a complete TE.  And neither of whom ever won squat.

Edited by mannc

On 11/17/2019 at 11:14 AM, Virgil said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/gronk-big-announcement-coming-on-instagram/ar-BBWTNei?li=BBnbfcL

I hope it’s that he’s getting gender change surgery 

***Update***

He's NOT returning to the NFL this season.  He's hosting a party the weekend of the Superbowl that you can buy tickets too.  Typical Gronk. 

I am so disappointed.  I wanted to hear it was gender change surgery.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I used to like Gronk.  I thought he was a funny meat head.  But after that cheap shot on White, he’s just kinda annoying and he’s terrible on TV.  Kinda wish he’d just go away.  He’s really not that interesting. Hall of Fame career though.

He IS a meathead. He’s a typical idiot from Cheektovegas who just happened to be big and good at football. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/19/2019 at 1:59 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I used to like Gronk.  I thought he was a funny meat head.  But after that cheap shot on White, he’s just kinda annoying and he’s terrible on TV.  Kinda wish he’d just go away.  He’s really not that interesting. Hall of Fame career though.

Agree with everything except that I never liked him and thought he was a lowlife after what he did to White.  That was one of the most cowardly, thuggish and actually criminal things I've seen, right up there with Haynesworth stepping on Andre Gurode's helmet-less heat.  That he got only 1 game (while Garrett got at least 6) is unconscionable. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/20/2019 at 1:50 AM, eball said:

He IS a meathead. He’s a typical idiot from Cheektovegas who just happened to be big and good at football. 

who reportedly didn't touch $.10 of his salary during his playing days.  

He's been busy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-rob-gronkowski-venus-williams-dance-with-laker-girls-2019-11