Smokey & The Bandit

Man with the Golden Gun

Terminator 2

French Connection

Anything with Steve McQueen

Honorable Mention: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  Horseback vs Nazi tanks

15 minutes ago, gomper said:

Old school fun! 

Nice addition. Never heard of or saw that.

But the scene where everyone in the arena left their seats to watch he chase was beyond stupid.

10 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Already mentioned.  Bullitt, Ronin, Blues Brothers.

So I'm going to throw the opening of Baby Driver in the mix:

This was great, never saw it til now. The clip and your description down-thread makes me think that this is a love it or hate it deal. 

13 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

What, no love for this all-time classic?

Another one from the same era. Amazing how many VW Bugs show up in these 70's car  chases.  There's also a Pinto at the beginning of this one:

• Like (+1) 1

Greatest car chase with a tricycle.Hands down.

Gotta love the recurring car chase comedy driver who happens upon the scene and says "eff yeah, no clue what's up but I'm down for the car chase!"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Obviously most of the great ones have been posted. But this one, from 1974, has always had a special place in my movie viewing heart:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Nice addition. Never heard of or saw that.

But the scene where everyone in the arena left their seats to watch he chase was beyond stupid.

Who knows why they put that in. Comic relief? Societal commentary? It doesn't matter. That chase is golden and those roads are no chip shot either. 

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

I feel like there was a pretty good one in one of the Bourne movies, no?

Several.  The Paris chase is the best of the lot, I think.  But, like most of the Bourne series, they all rely too much on "shaky-cam" styling for my taste.

If you want a good "underpowered Citroen chase" scene, I think it's still best to go with the original.

On 11/16/2019 at 11:22 PM, I am the egg man said:

Real versus staged. Reality is always better.

killed off an NBA Finals game with the Knicks

On 11/16/2019 at 10:03 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Channel flipping today and just missed the car chase from Bullitt. Watched it on the youtube and to be honest it didn't quite live up to the memory, but still iconic. 

So what are your favorites?

San Fran is the only city I have driven in when you come to the top of a hill and you cannot see any road to the side or front of you, let alone oncoming traffic.

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

killed off an NBA Finals game with the Knicks

San Fran is the only city I have driven in when you come to the top of a hill and you cannot see any road to the side or front of you, let alone oncoming traffic.

Must be absolute hell on a motorcycle

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Greatest car chase with a tricycle.Hands down.

Gotta love the recurring car chase comedy driver who happens upon the scene and says "eff yeah, no clue what's up but I'm down for the car chase!"

That's an awesome movie. Hilarious.

22 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Must be absolute hell on a motorcycle

Bullitt was the first one of its kind, and adding the SF touch helped make it more so

i can dig how it doesn't translate all that much today

OK, I'm a car guy, so here's my list:

Bullitt - The first big chase and all done at speed. The Charger hardly needed any modifications, but the Mustang had a lot done.

Gone in Sixty Seconds - The original, but the remake was good. But, if you haven't seen the original, check it out.

McQ - Big 'ole John Wayne, "The Duke" stuffing himself into a 1973 Brewster Green (only year made) Super Duty Trans Am.

Vanishing Point - Again, definitely the original from '71. Basically the whole movie! White 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 pistol-grip four-speed! Plus Cleavon Little DJ!

King of the Mountain - Harry Hamlin before LA Law, Dennis Hopper looking totally stoned! Racing on Mulholland Blvd.

Gumball Rally - This was before Cannonball Run and had a real Shelby 427 Cobra racing sea-to-shining-sea against a real Ferrari Daytona. Awesome!

Cannonball - Again, not Cannonball Run. This had David Carradine and a cool red 1973 Trans Am. Good movie.

Baby Driver - Yeah, I liked this one a lot. The music was a prefect compliment.

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry - The ending scene was in the opening credits for the Fall Guy! But, awesome 1970 Dodge Charger driven hard by Peter Fonda.

Edited by Houston's #1 Bills Fan

On 11/17/2019 at 9:15 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Another one from the same era. Amazing how many VW Bugs show up in these 70's car  chases.  There's also a Pinto at the beginning of this one:

Just noticed that the driver in the Seven-Ups car is the same driver of the Challenger in Bullitt.

2 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

OK, I'm a car guy, so here's my list:

Bullitt - The first big chase and all done at speed. The Charger hardly needed any modifications, but the Mustang had a lot done.

Gone in Sixty Seconds - The original, but the remake was good. But, if you haven't seen the original, check it out.

McQ - Big 'ole John Wayne, "The Duke" stuffing himself into a 1973 Brewster Green (only year made) Super Duty Trans Am.

Vanishing Point - Again, definitely the original from '71. Basically the whole movie! White 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 pistol-grip four-speed! Plus Cleavon Little DJ!

King of the Mountain - Harry Hamlin before LA Law, Dennis Hopper looking totally stoned! Racing on Mulholland Blvd.

Gumball Rally - This was before Cannonball Run and had a real Shelby 427 Cobra racing sea-to-shining-sea against a real Ferrari Daytona. Awesome!

Cannonball - Again, not Cannonball Run. This had David Carradine and a cool red 1973 Trans Am. Good movie.

Baby Driver - Yeah, I liked this one a lot. The music was a prefect compliment.

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry - The ending scene was in the opening credits for the Fall Guy! But, awesome 1970 Dodge Charger driven hard by Peter Fonda.

Well done. A few notes:

- I'm not sure if Gumball Rally ever got the play that I thought it deserved. Haven't seen it in ages, that will change soon.

- I went looking for the orig Vanishing Point and kept landing on the remake 

- Blasts from the past : McQ and Dirty Mary. Again, well done.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:46 PM, The Dean said:

Obviously most of the great ones have been posted. But this one, from 1974, has always had a special place in my movie viewing heart:

I knew of that movie but never saw it.

Best part was James Caan after jumping the train: "Ta-da!"

Ronin is my top choice because it has several exciting, excellent choreographed chase scenes, not just one.  

Criminally under-marketed movie at the time.  It legitimately is one of the best movies of the 90s.  

Ronin is my fav, so went with a diff one to add here

Edited by Bray Wyatt

20 hours ago, BuffaloBud said:

Just noticed that the driver in the Seven-Ups car is the same driver of the Challenger in Bullitt.

Bill Hickman.  Check the Wikipedia page for him.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Oops! No ‘Great Escape’! 🙄
  • Like (+1) 2