Favorite Car Chases

SinceThe70s

OK, I'm a car guy, so here's my list:

Bullitt - The first big chase and all done at speed. The Charger hardly needed any modifications, but the Mustang had a lot done.

Gone in Sixty Seconds - The original, but the remake was good. But, if you haven't seen the original, check it out.

McQ - Big 'ole John Wayne, "The Duke" stuffing himself into a 1973 Brewster Green (only year made) Super Duty Trans Am.

Vanishing Point - Again, definitely the original from '71. Basically the whole movie! White 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 pistol-grip four-speed! Plus Cleavon Little DJ!

King of the Mountain - Harry Hamlin before LA Law, Dennis Hopper looking totally stoned! Racing on Mulholland Blvd.

Gumball Rally - This was before Cannonball Run and had a real Shelby 427 Cobra racing sea-to-shining-sea against a real Ferrari Daytona. Awesome!

Cannonball - Again, not Cannonball Run. This had David Carradine and a cool red 1973 Trans Am. Good movie.

Baby Driver - Yeah, I liked this one a lot. The music was a prefect compliment.

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry - The ending scene was in the opening credits for the Fall Guy! But, awesome 1970 Dodge Charger driven hard by Peter Fonda.

Edited by Houston's #1 Bills Fan

On 11/17/2019 at 9:15 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Another one from the same era. Amazing how many VW Bugs show up in these 70's car  chases.  There's also a Pinto at the beginning of this one:

Just noticed that the driver in the Seven-Ups car is the same driver of the Challenger in Bullitt.

2 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

OK, I'm a car guy, so here's my list:

Bullitt - The first big chase and all done at speed. The Charger hardly needed any modifications, but the Mustang had a lot done.

Gone in Sixty Seconds - The original, but the remake was good. But, if you haven't seen the original, check it out.

McQ - Big 'ole John Wayne, "The Duke" stuffing himself into a 1973 Brewster Green (only year made) Super Duty Trans Am.

Vanishing Point - Again, definitely the original from '71. Basically the whole movie! White 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 pistol-grip four-speed! Plus Cleavon Little DJ!

King of the Mountain - Harry Hamlin before LA Law, Dennis Hopper looking totally stoned! Racing on Mulholland Blvd.

Gumball Rally - This was before Cannonball Run and had a real Shelby 427 Cobra racing sea-to-shining-sea against a real Ferrari Daytona. Awesome!

Cannonball - Again, not Cannonball Run. This had David Carradine and a cool red 1973 Trans Am. Good movie.

Baby Driver - Yeah, I liked this one a lot. The music was a prefect compliment.

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry - The ending scene was in the opening credits for the Fall Guy! But, awesome 1970 Dodge Charger driven hard by Peter Fonda.

Well done. A few notes:

- I'm not sure if Gumball Rally ever got the play that I thought it deserved. Haven't seen it in ages, that will change soon.

- I went looking for the orig Vanishing Point and kept landing on the remake 

- Blasts from the past : McQ and Dirty Mary. Again, well done.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:46 PM, The Dean said:

Obviously most of the great ones have been posted. But this one, from 1974, has always had a special place in my movie viewing heart:

I knew of that movie but never saw it.

Best part was James Caan after jumping the train: "Ta-da!"

Ronin is my top choice because it has several exciting, excellent choreographed chase scenes, not just one.  

Criminally under-marketed movie at the time.  It legitimately is one of the best movies of the 90s.  

On 11/17/2019 at 9:15 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Another one from the same era. Amazing how many VW Bugs show up in these 70's car  chases.  There's also a Pinto at the beginning of this one:

Interesting trivia fact: The Seven-Ups, Bullitt, and the French Connection?  Bill Hickman was the stunt driver/coordinator for all three.  He was well-regarded in his pursuit of realism in his car chases (according to the director of The French Connection, the car chase in that movie was the scariest thing he'd ever done.  He also directed the Exorcist).

He was also once driving a station wagon towing a trailer to a race at Salinas.  The trailer should have contained a Porsche 550 Spyder, but the car's driver wanted to break it in more before reaching Salinas, so was driving it ahead of Hickman when he wrecked at the intersection of Routes 41 and 466 (now 46).  Hickman, following a little behind, was first to arrive on the scene of his friend's, James Dean's, death, who is rumored (probably falsely) to have died in Hickman's arms.

Ponder his pursuit of realism in light of that.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/19/2019 at 3:02 PM, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Watched it tonight with my boys. What a fun movie. 

True story: back in the 90's I rented a basement apartment with a backyard entrance for a few years. Backyard was pretty big with a shed in the back corner. I had a spot to park my car on the side of the house. One Saturday morning there was a knock on my door which was highly unusual.  Was asked if I could move my car and lo and behold out of the shed comes a classic car. I'm not a car guy, but knew that the last time I'd seen one was Gumball - a blue Cobra. 

On 11/19/2019 at 12:02 PM, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

The actual Cannonball Run sounds like it was pretty fun.  

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15135751/the-last-cannonball-feature/