Favorite Car Chases

SinceThe70s

24 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Does the taxi chase from ‘The Fifth Element’ count?

No.  :lol:

25 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Does the taxi chase from ‘The Fifth Element’ count?

I've heard Baby Driver described as several things: "What The Fast and Furious franchise should be," "A post-modern musical."  The latter is particularly apt, as the action is not just set to the soundtrack, but is set in time with the soundtrack (watch the clip again - all the action is timed to the music, including something as prosaic as the wipers moving to the beat of the song.  Throughout the movie. the gunshots emphasize the beats of songs - the ultimate set-piece, to Queen's Brighton Rock, is spectacular.)  And all the driving effects are practical effects, some of which are downright mind-blowing.

I hesitate to say it's a good movie - it's too atypical to make that general a statement.  But it's an extremely well-made movie, and if you're someone who routinely complains that there's no originality in Hollywood anymore, it's worth seeing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Already mentioned.  Bullitt, Ronin, Blues Brothers.

So I'm going to throw the opening of Baby Driver in the mix:

This was great, never saw it til now. The clip and your description down-thread makes me think that this is a love it or hate it deal. 

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Nice addition. Never heard of or saw that.

But the scene where everyone in the arena left their seats to watch he chase was beyond stupid.

Who knows why they put that in. Comic relief? Societal commentary? It doesn't matter. That chase is golden and those roads are no chip shot either. 

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

I feel like there was a pretty good one in one of the Bourne movies, no?

Several.  The Paris chase is the best of the lot, I think.  But, like most of the Bourne series, they all rely too much on "shaky-cam" styling for my taste.

If you want a good "underpowered Citroen chase" scene, I think it's still best to go with the original.

On 11/16/2019 at 11:22 PM, I am the egg man said:

Real versus staged. Reality is always better.

killed off an NBA Finals game with the Knicks

On 11/16/2019 at 10:03 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Channel flipping today and just missed the car chase from Bullitt. Watched it on the youtube and to be honest it didn't quite live up to the memory, but still iconic. 

So what are your favorites?

San Fran is the only city I have driven in when you come to the top of a hill and you cannot see any road to the side or front of you, let alone oncoming traffic.

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Greatest car chase with a tricycle.Hands down.

Gotta love the recurring car chase comedy driver who happens upon the scene and says "eff yeah, no clue what's up but I'm down for the car chase!"

That's an awesome movie. Hilarious.

22 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Must be absolute hell on a motorcycle

Bullitt was the first one of its kind, and adding the SF touch helped make it more so

i can dig how it doesn't translate all that much today