How Do You Brew Your Drip Coffee at Home?

Nextmanup

Does anyone here take their home brewed coffee seriously enough to have invested in any sort of special coffee machine for the purpose?

I mean something beyond your standard drip brewer coffee machine.

Anyone go the vacuum siphon route?  French press?  Pour-over drippers?

I'm talking traditional American drip coffee here, not espresso machines. 

We have a traditional drip style, but it is the Bunn which maintains a reservoir of hot water.  It makes a pot in no time at all. I love that thing. 

Though today I brought out the old stovetop percolator. Nothing beats the coffee that comes out of that thing. I brewed it up and put the excess in a thermos and I’ve been sipping it all day out in the cold, working in the yard. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, snafu said:

We have a traditional drip style, but it is the Bunn which maintains a reservoir of hot water.  It makes a pot in no time at all. I love that thing. 

Though today I brought out the old stovetop percolator. Nothing beats the coffee that comes out of that thing. I brewed it up and put the excess in a thermos and I’ve been sipping it all day out in the cold, working in the yard. 

Do you know the model name or designation for your Bunn?  I have always heard good things about them; they make commercial grade equipment as well as domestic stuff I'm not mistaken.

My mom feels the same way about her old percolator "coffee pot".  She loves to entertain and everyone always loves the coffee she brews in that thing too!

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Is there really a wrong answer here? :)

Yes!  There are a lot of lame coffee machines out there.

Some machines really do make a much better cup of coffee.

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Went to a French press a few months ago and it is great, and perfect for the amount I drink— just a 20 ounce cup in the morning. 

What is your French Press?  Know the make or model?

Not sure it matters for that; kind of a simple, but very effective technology.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Do you know the model name or designation for your Bunn?  I have always heard good things about them; they make commercial grade equipment as well as domestic stuff I'm not mistaken.

My mom feels the same way about her old percolator "coffee pot".  She loves to entertain and everyone always loves the coffee she brews in that thing too!

I checked: model NHS-B.  

The percolator coffee comes comes out almost creamy looking. Fantastic if you don’t mind waiting and the extra cleanup and a few grounds in the bottom of the cup. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, snafu said:

I checked: model NHS-B.  

The percolator coffee comes comes out almost creamy looking. Fantastic if you don’t mind waiting and the extra cleanup and a few grounds in the bottom of the cup. 

That’s the one I have. It does a nice job. I also have one of those $40 Mr. Coffee units that I keep meaning to take to Goodwill.

Then there’s the Keurig. ?

• Like (+1) 1

An article that I read years ago maintained that the only ‘wrong’ way to brew coffee is via percolator, since the temperature goes higher than the 195-200 degree F. that coffee water should not exceed.  Apparently, above that temperature releases bitter compounds in the brew.  

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

An article that I read years ago maintained that the only ‘wrong’ way to brew coffee is via percolator, since the temperature goes higher than the 195-200 degree F. that coffee water should not exceed.  Apparently, above that temperature releases bitter compounds in the brew.  

Rubbish!!

39 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What is your French Press?  Know the make or model?

Not sure it matters for that; kind of a simple, but very effective technology.

I am not an expert by any means, but this is what I use and I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-French-Press-Coffee-Maker/dp/B07LFQR7PS/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?keywords=french+press&qid=1573931866&sprefix=fre&sr=8-17

And I have a little electric grinder, which you can probably get for like $10. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On weekdays my wife uses a Kuerig with coffee that is bought in bean form and she grinds it right before using it.  The coffee is held in one of those little plastic adapter cups with a mesh on the bottom.  I’m lazy and I use k-cups (blasphemy; I know).

On weekends we use a filter basket that sits on top of a carafe. 

For larger amounts we use a regular, cheap Mr. Coffee type drip machine.

Occasionally we use a French press, but they are annoying to clean. 

If it’s a smallish batch, we grind the beans ourselves.  For the Mr. Coffee we use pre ground. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Chiming in on a long post, as I drink my afternoon coffee and the Garden State movie soundtrack plays in the background on the record player...

I now have a Target Basics auto drip maker. I had to properly dial in the proportions and water once I got it three months ago, because it was different from the Cuisinart machine I had used for about 7 years. 

The issue was the Cuisinart failed after 5 years, and the exact replacement failed before a year. I said screw it. Once I figured out how the new one worked, it's all good. 

I grind my own beans every use, which are Eight O'Clock Columbian. Fairly inexpensive, taste great. 

I also have a Bodum Chambord French press (which I desperately need to use more), and a kettle-pour-over setup as well. 

***OPINION HERE: I do not subscribe to the Nescafe machine, or Kuerigs. Just not the same, but that's me and y'all do what y'all do.***

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't touch the crap.  Wife is a coffee snob.  We use a Bunn.  ***** those KCups!

10 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

used to with a mr coffee basic drip maker, nuthin fancy. course I had to quit the joe, wasn't mixing well with my ticker.

Sunday afternoons don't mix well with the ole ticker... Did you quit Sunday afternoons in the Fall??