2020 Draft Position and Potential Targets

STL-Bills

Just now, John from Riverside said:

You are assuming that the top DL of this past draft wont end up being studs.....which is foolish

His logic was if one position is a strength, have to draft other positions. It's illogical. 

And I have little faith that Ed Oliver will end up being anything other than a backup third down DT

3 hours ago, yungmack said:

Draft a WR with the #1 overall? Seriously? And who's throwing to this paragon? The pull-it-out-your-ass wins are over and I suspect the Bills to be drafting between 8-12. First overall pick has to be a QB. 

I love you! 

But assuming we make the playoffs and McDermott is not fired, we are not drafting a QB in the draft at all.

If we miss the playoffs, which could easily happen, things might get more interesting, but that is too far away and too many different variables would have to play out before it really makes sense to comment on that.

Too early!

I totally agree, though, that any super stud WR we might acquire is going to be limited in production due to the person throwing him the ball.  These guys can't throw the ball to themselves.

We paid heavily to get Sammy Watkins, and what did he ever really do as a Bill?

Sure, he had some injury issues, but we never had a guy who could consistently get him the ball or throw with enough accuracy to allow him to get huge YAC, which was supposed to be his specialty.

I fear it would be the same with Allen if we draft some stud WR with our first pick, or god forbid, trade UP to get an even better one.

Keeping that in mind, I would not use our first pick on a WR.  

I think I'd go OL, though edge rusher would be good too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

His logic was if one position is a strength, have to draft other positions. It's illogical. 

And I have little faith that Ed Oliver will end up being anything other than a backup third down DT

We know that is how you feel.....which frankly is stupid.

You cant judge a rookie on their 1st year play to determine what they are going to be as a player....its short sighted and idiotic

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

We know that is how you feel.....which frankly is stupid.

You cant judge a rookie on their 1st year play to determine what they are going to be as a player....its short sighted and idiotic

We shall see.  I think he's a latter day Erik Flowers.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Sad 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

We shall see. 

You know you really are entitled to your own opinion.

Its just that we have this trend with our 1st round picks where we are drafted on what their potential could be and not finished products.

And the then the 2nd trend is we have been drafted what the position of strength was in the draft

Just my opinion.....but I like this way of drafting....they start right away but have the ability to get so much better

8 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And yet, wasn't DL a positional strength this past year?

It was, but not nearly as deep as the upcoming WR class is supposed to be. There were several blue chip players at the top of the class, and then your normal 2nd and 3rd round players in those rounds. If the WR group is what they say it is (a huge question mark for certain) there will be first round talents at WR going in later rounds. That’s what I’m saying. This also isn’t my opinion- Daniel Jeremiah tweeted something about how deep the class is and how it’s going to be harder to take a WR early when you know that you can come back and get one later without a huge drop off in talent level. 

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It’s not my logic, it’s called supply and demand. Right now we have equal demands for an edge rusher, and a WR. Based on how Brown has performed vs how Jerry has performed, I think there’s even an argument that edge is a bigger need. That being said. If you have two needs and you can get a A+ edge in the first, and an A WR in the second, you’ve improved your team more than If you take a A+ WR in the first, and a B edge in the draft. This isn’t a difficult concept.

it doesn’t matter anyways, as we all know our first pick will be a CB and our second pick will be a G who we draft to play tackle.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I love you! 

But assuming we make the playoffs and McDermott is not fired, we are not drafting a QB in the draft at all.

If we miss the playoffs, which could easily happen, things might get more interesting, but that is too far away and too many different variables would have to play out before it really makes sense to comment on that.

Too early!

I totally agree, though, that any super stud WR we might acquire is going to be limited in production due to the person throwing him the ball.  These guys can't throw the ball to themselves.

We paid heavily to get Sammy Watkins, and what did he ever really do as a Bill?

Sure, he had some injury issues, but we never had a guy who could consistently get him the ball or throw with enough accuracy to allow him to get huge YAC, which was supposed to be his specialty.

I fear it would be the same with Allen if we draft some stud WR with our first pick, or god forbid, trade UP to get an even better one.

Keeping that in mind, I would not use our first pick on a WR.  

I think I'd go OL, though edge rusher would be good too.

McDermott is not getting fired , better find a new team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

The big question is whether our team can identify the right WR. 

Michael Pittman Jr

USC

6-3.6 / 225

40....Best time 4.42

If we don't take him in the late 1st this team will regret it 10x more than not keeping Robert Woods. He would immediately be Josh's #1 wr. Right now he's rated between the 2nd-3rd round. After the combine he will move up. This kid is the target.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Would also like

WR Cee Dee Lamb

S Grant Delpit

CB Lamar Jackson

DT Javon Kinlaw

OG Tyler Biadasz

The only chance at CeeDee is going 6-10. He'll be gone by the 9th pick.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

Next year's success can't be based on rookie acquisitions because,  well, they're rookies. Marv Levy never liked playing rookies so he said. Point being, yes, draft what is BPA and/or need, but don't get spun up about thinking a rookie's potential will be seen in year one.

42 minutes ago, In Summary said:

Next year's success can't be based on rookie acquisitions because,  well, they're rookies. Marv Levy never liked playing rookies so he said. Point being, yes, draft what is BPA and/or need, but don't get spun up about thinking a rookie's potential will be seen in year one.

Hopefully we spend the majority of that cap money on players better than Murphy & Star.....

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Michael Pittman Jr

USC

6-3.6 / 225

40....Best time 4.42

If we don't take him in the late 1st this team will regret it 10x more than not keeping Robert Woods. He would immediately be Josh's #1 wr. Right now he's rated between the 2nd-3rd round. After the combine he will move up. This kid is the target.

The only chance at CeeDee is going 6-10. He'll be gone by the 9th pick.

probably, using Drafttek rankings, which will change a lot by draft day.

10 hours ago, In Summary said:

Those days are fading faster than Kershaw in the playoffs. Rookies are now expected to immediately contribute. It's all about over paying for supposed franchise QBs and a few key players, and filling out the roster with loads of players on their rookie contracts, or cheap veterans.

I think Draft Tek is a fairly astute evaluator of the relative value of draft prospects.   They have Buffalo taking CeeDee Lamb (WR) at #20.  I'd be fine with that.  Other players going in the 20-28 range I think would be decent picks, depending on where Buffalo ends up picking include: Tee Higgins (WR), Kristian Fulton (CB), CJ Henderson (CB), Jalen Raegor (WR), Trevon Diggs (CB), and Curtis Weaver (EDGE).