Is there a role for Tyler Kroft on the Bills?

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I like him but he has had a problem staying healthy and Knox has a similar skillset but a higher ceiling. I think he just lost out being hurt. Very much at risk of being cut after the season. 

34 minutes ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Yes cut him.  $6m can be better spent. Need to pick up a DE, another upgrade somewhere on the Oline, And another WR.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up keeping some seriously under producing talent like Kroft just because the crop of free agent talent at need positions like DE and WR1 is gonna  be pretty thin.   No sense hurting your depth to save money you can't spend.   Shaq might even get a new contract here.:lol:

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up keeping some seriously under producing talent like Kroft just because the crop of free agent talent at need positions like DE and WR1 is gonna  be pretty thin.   No sense hurting your depth to save money you can't spend.   Shaq might even get a new contract here.:lol:

Scary part is that the majority of fans are onboard with that. Maybe they are the vocal

minority? How many times have we heard about Star’s contract, well who did it stop them from signing. 

Allen needs to morph into what we all want or this is going to be a long few years. 

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Scary part is that the majority of fans are onboard with that. Maybe they are the vocal

minority? How many times have we heard about Star’s contract, well who did it stop them from signing. 

Allen needs to morph into what we all want or this is going to be a long few years. 

We had a lot of people clutching draft picks here thinking NEXT YEAR the Bills could have their cake and eat it too with FA's at high dollar positions plus their requisite amount of high draft picks.

Well if you wanted an impact player like Jadeveon Clowney you were going to have to trade for him or another team with $80M in cap room next year.....like Seattle..... would.   

The likelihood is that the draft will yield a couple of guys who are at best net-neutral additions in their rookie season so they need to figure something out to upgrade even if Allen gradually improves.

McDermott and Beane were crazy lucky falling into two drafts where there was actual QB talent in round 1 to start their regime but they didn't really cash in big and now their fortune regarding personnel availability might be evening out.

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We had a lot of people clutching draft picks here thinking NEXT YEAR the Bills could have their cake and eat it too with FA's at high dollar positions plus their requisite amount of high draft picks. (I know, those people were nuts. Here the Bills are, total failures at 6-3 ... oh, wait. And yeah, there were some people thinking we'd bring in high-dollar FAs, but they weren't listening to McD and Beane, who said you build through the draft and you don't often get the high-dollar FAs. Some people)

Well if you wanted an impact player like Jadeveon Clowney you were going to have to trade for him or another team with $80M in cap room next year.....like Seattle..... would. (Again, if you want a team that brings in high-dollar FAs, you might want to switch teams. More, how many high-dollar FAs have the Seahawks brought in during the Schneider era? And how many in his first three years when he was getting his ducks in a row?)

The likelihood is that the draft will yield a couple of guys who are at best net-neutral additions in their rookie season so they need to figure something out to upgrade even if Allen gradually improves. (That's not particularly the likelihood. They could easily get a guy who has a big impact like Trey did, and they could easily have guys like Oliver and Ford make big leaps in their second year. And they again have a ton of cap room and could do something similar to what they did last year, moving their OL and WRs from dismal to solid from bringing in a bunch of mid-level solid talent.)

McDermott and Beane were crazy lucky falling into two drafts where there was actual QB talent in round 1 to start their regime but they didn't really cash in big and now their fortune regarding personnel availability might be evening out. (Or not. We don't yet know whether they cashed in big. Maybe not. But maybe. As usual, the smart but unusual play is to avoid knee-jerk reactions. A strategy you're not using here.)

Reactions in bold above.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

I'd prefer keeping him as the #2 TE, provided he stays healthy the rest of this season, and get rid of Lee "the human penalty" Smith, even if it costs more to eat his salary.

Sweeney and Croom can fight it out for the #3 job.

I don’t think Croom is on the team anymore???

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly he looks out of shape to me.

Have you actually seen him on the playing field to tell, and can you point me at what plays?  Enquiring minds want to know.

'Cuz I've just been going through the all-22 of the last 2 games looking for him.   It's hard to see the numbers, but so far I'm striking out at "Operation Kroft Find".

I mean, you might be 100% right, but I can't find him to tell.

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

What about Knox' hands.  Not the best.  I think he let same good gains fall to the turf.

Knoxs hands aren't the best at 20% drop rate.  Formal advanced-stats "drops" are typically scored as passes that a player could catch without extraordinary effort - passes that hit outstretched hands without jumping or diving or finger-tip one-hand circus stuff, or passes that fall within the window of the body kind of from the head to the thighs.

The crazy thing is that he's made some very high DOD catches cleanly.  I think when they hit him in the hands he starts thinking YAC or "stay in bounds" before he completes Job 1 and secures the ball cleanly.  I'm hoping it's something he can fix, because if he can, then he's a definite keeper.

17 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I don’t think Croom is on the team anymore???

IR

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Have you actually seen him on the playing field to tell, and can you point me at what plays?  Enquiring minds want to know.

'Cuz I've just been going through the all-22 of the last 2 games looking for him.   It's hard to see the numbers, but so far I'm striking out at "Operation Kroft Find".

I mean, you might be 100% right, but I can't find him to tell.

There was a red zone play last week that was designed to go to him but got blown up, I don’t remember how but I could tell from the pre-snap that they were targeting him on a seam route.  And he was open.

But I’m just basing my comment off his look in a uniform, not on his running speed.  He looks like he’s been drinking beer on the sofa for the past year, not that there’s anything wrong with it.  I remember him being svelter in Cincy.

Here is another negative to having a complex offensive system. We have heard from Jon Brown that this is one of the more expansive offenses he has played in. Kroft is the most proven all around TE on the team right now. Knox has a higher ceiling but as we have seen he needs more time to be consistent. I really think Kroft could be a good receiving option for Allen, if Daboll can figure out how to get him on the field.

2 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

28:42 watch kroft get called out and if he makes this play and picks the LB a little(looks like to me he actually slows up) then singletary has a huge gain.  Was also times in this video I seen Kroft kept in to block 

Definitely needs to improve

Good find, thank you, this is the sort of thing I've been looking for.

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Here is another negative to having a complex offensive system. We have heard from Jon Brown that this is one of the more expansive offenses he has played in. Kroft is the most proven all around TE on the team right now. Knox has a higher ceiling but as we have seen he needs more time to be consistent. I really think Kroft could be a good receiving option for Allen, if Daboll can figure out how to get him on the field.

He's been on the field a lot.  43% of the time vs the Browns.  What is he doing there is the question.

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

There was a red zone play last week that was designed to go to him but got blown up, I don’t remember how but I could tell from the pre-snap that they were targeting him on a seam route.  And he was open.

But I’m just basing my comment off his look in a uniform, not on his running speed.  He looks like he’s been drinking beer on the sofa for the past year, not that there’s anything wrong with it.  I remember him being svelter in Cincy.

To be fair, his workouts have probably been hampered by injury although the Bills should have zero-g treadmills and that kind of thing if his injury didn't preclude.