I Don’t Have Time for a Cold!

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It’s that time of year.  Cold and flu season.  And working in schools, I am constantly exposed to every bug/cold/flu that comes through.  Nasty little buggers....those kids.

Anyway, I have a cold.  Sinus infection and cough with no chest congestion.  I want to kick this thing’s ass this weekend.  Started on Zicam every 3 hours as soon as I felt a sniffle, taking Mucinex to manage the symptoms, and drinking tons of water.

Any other suggestions that would help me knock this thing out by Monday morning?  I have a lot to do next week, and I don’t want to still be sickly.  

I wasn’t lying.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15316239/

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It’s that time of year.  Cold and flu season.  And working in schools, I am constantly exposed to every bug/cold/flu that comes through.  Nasty little buggers....those kids.

Anyway, I have a cold.  Sinus infection and cough with no chest congestion.  I want to kick this thing’s ass this weekend.  Started on Zicam every 3 hours as soon as I felt a sniffle, taking Mucinex to manage the symptoms, and drinking tons of water.

Any other suggestions that would help me knock this thing out by Monday morning?  I have a lot to do next week, and I don’t want to still be sickly.  

SLEEP.  It is the only thing I have ever found that fights off a virus.

Let your body kill that thing and repair itself.

As far as just trying to feel better by masking symptoms, I always liked Alka-Seltzer plus cold medicine.

Brings genuine relief for maybe 3 hours in terms of allowing you to breathe, at least through 1 nostril.

Nothing is worse than being sick and not being able to breathe, especially if you are trying to sleep at night.

I pound the day time stuff by day, and load up on the night time stuff before bed with the drowsier formula in there.

Benadril (the little pink pills) also really knock me out like sleeping pills; those are good too.

No joke: if you have some opioids lying around from your last dental visit or something like that, like a percocet, take one 30 minutes before you want to sleep at night.  Those things rock.

Man up.  Back in my day, we walked to school uphill.  BOTH ways.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Here's a suggestion:  Stop being such a goddamn baby.  It's a head cold.  Liquids, sleep and let it run its course.  Whining only prolongs it, you wuss.  Man up!!!

+1. 

We're NOT helping.  They need a crutch today.  A "mother's little helper."

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I think there was a thread similar to this last year.  I remember writing " I get a gallon of orange juice,  drink it all, go to bed and cover myself with enough blankets to sweat all night."  In the morning I usually feel pretty good.  Heavy duty Tropicana is my OJ choice.

Yeah.  This.  But wear a set of Depends® and pray they "hold."

Have fun @Johnny Hammersticks, nice knowing you!

Probably too late to help now, but I'm a big believer in Coldeeze.

As soon as I start feeling cold symptoms  I start taking them. I keep a box at work.  I think it lessens the severity and duration of my colds. Supposedly you have tio ake them early on or they aren't effective. Maybe a marketing ploy but they seems to work for me. BTW, if it's psychosomatic - I'm cool with it.

Maybe similar to Zicam? I  think both are zinc based. Not sure.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

"I Don’t Have Time for a Cold !".....

......sing that along in the video in p!ace of where Carly Simon sings "I Haven't got Time for the Pain".

Soon, you'll be your old self again.

Echo Boomer (Millennial) anthem!

Get well @Johnny Hammersticks you don't got time for that! 

I think I see him swaddled w/a bottle @ 2:14-2:19!  ?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

DISCLAIMER: I stayed at an Holiday Inn Express last night.

Hate to burst your bubble.  From high (no pun intended) on my alter and the USS Enterprise sick-bay, Vulcan medical logic dictates, with a cold, you may NOT want to supress your immune system... That's what gets you into the cold virus mess to begin with, right?

It's an old study, jury is still out... And this is most definitely NOT in vogue during the recent pro-cannabis era we are in. Cannabis is a WonderDrug®!  I guess it's all about the individual and their own immune response.  But cannibis definitely suppresses immune system... Why it works on CHRONIC conditions.  But infectious, the studies tend to disagree.  Will a suppressed immune response make you more susceptible to a cold. You bet your sweet bottom dollar it will!

Thank You... I will be here all week till Johnny gets better!!

Glean from it what you may.  Not saying it's all negative or positive.  This info is intended to help, may help others!  Symptoms are another story... May help with them???

https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/how-long-does-a-cold-last

https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/smoking-weed-with-a-cold#potential-risks

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/08/020828062229.htm

Infectious is key word.  HIV is harsh, certainly not the common cold!

"...Pot's influence on the immune system continues to be hotly debated. While more human studies are needed, overwhelming evidence from animal studies indicates that marijuana and its psychoactive compounds, known as cannabinoids, suppress immune function and inflammation.

"This suggests marijuana or cannabinoids might benefit someone with chronic inflammatory disease, but not someone who has a chronic infectious disease such as HIV infection," said Dr. Klein, lead investigator of the study..."

12 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Turn up the heat and sweat it out.

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

Here's a suggestion:  Stop being such a goddamn baby.  It's a head cold.  Liquids, sleep and let it run its course.  Whining only prolongs it, you wuss.  Man up!!!

What?  I can’t reach out to my friends for cold remedy tips?  Are you too much of a man to take Zicam?  Don’t you ever pee sitting down?

Reported

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

DISCLAIMER: I stayed at an Holiday Inn Express last night.

Hate to burst your bubble.  From high (no pun intended) on my alter and the USS Enterprise sick-bay, Vulcan medical logic dictates, with a cold, you may NOT want to supress your immune system... That's what gets you into the cold virus mess to begin with, right?

It's an old study, jury is still out... And this is most definitely NOT in vogue during the recent pro-cannabis era we are in. Cannabis is a WonderDrug®!  I guess it's all about the individual and their own immune response.  But cannibis definitely suppresses immune system... Why it works on CHRONIC conditions.  But infectious, the studies tend to disagree.  Will a suppressed immune response make you more susceptible to a cold. You bet your sweet bottom dollar it will!

Thank You... I will be here all week till Johnny gets better!!

Glean from it what you may.  Not saying it's all negative or positive.  This info is intended to help, may help others!  Symptoms are another story... May help with them???

https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/how-long-does-a-cold-last

https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/smoking-weed-with-a-cold#potential-risks

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/08/020828062229.htm

Infectious is key word.  HIV is harsh, certainly not the common cold!

"...Pot's influence on the immune system continues to be hotly debated. While more human studies are needed, overwhelming evidence from animal studies indicates that marijuana and its psychoactive compounds, known as cannabinoids, suppress immune function and inflammation.

"This suggests marijuana or cannabinoids might benefit someone with chronic inflammatory disease, but not someone who has a chronic infectious disease such as HIV infection," said Dr. Klein, lead investigator of the study..."

I haven’t used cannabis for years...not sure who you’re thinking about.  But I have heard that THC is good for treating Neuroses ??

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

....skip the OTC stuff.......infection needs antibiotics and they usually prescribe Zithromax (Z-Pack).......I've taken it and had it NOT work, moving to stronger Augmentin......now I tell tel doc to skip Z-Pack and just go to Augmentin.....

15 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

What?  I can’t reach out to my friends for cold remedy tips?  Are you too much of a man to take Zicam?  Don’t you ever pee sitting down?

Reported

I haven’t used cannabis for years...not sure who you’re thinking about.  But I have heard that THC is good for treating Neuroses ??

I don't wanna catch a cold... Just gonna have to deal with my cray cray episodes. Tough choices in life we have to make! 

Okay, so just an update because I know many of you lost sleep last night thinking about my well being.  Last night was tough.  I slathered my whole body with Vick’s like grandma used to do, took a couple shots of night time cold medicine, and drank a cup of tea with honey before bed.

I was coughing my brains out for most of the night, and then all of a sudden (I think around 4 or 5) I just fell fast asleep.  Woke up at around 8:30.  I feel a bit better this morning.  Although my nasal congestion is still bad and I’m still coughing, my body just feels better.  

I have to take my son to 2 hockey games today.   We travel up to Burlington here shortly for a noon game, and then over to Hanover, NH for a late-afternoon game.  Time to venture out into the cold.  People, please send your thoughts and prayers.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Okay, so just an update because I know many of you lost sleep last night thinking about my well being.  Last night was tough.  I slathered my whole body with Vick’s like grandma used to do, took a couple shots of night time cold medicine, and drank a cup of tea with honey before bed.

I was coughing my brains out for most of the night, and then all of a sudden (I think around 4 or 5) I just fell fast asleep.  Woke up at around 8:30.  I feel a bit better this morning.  Although my nasal congestion is still bad and I’m still coughing, my body just feels better.  

I have to take my son to 2 hockey games today.   We travel up to Burlington here shortly for a noon game, and then over to Hanover, NH for a late-afternoon game.  Time to venture out into the cold.  People, please send your thoughts and prayers.

granny bitch.jpg

11 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Godspeed......may the force be with you. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Hope you feel better soon, Juanny.

• Awesome! (+1) 1