Buck that is wild

Punching Bag

They recently had youth hunting weekend here in Vermont.  Essentially, if the kid can read well enough to pass the written test and completes the safety course, they can go hunting (and harvest one deer) with a licensed adult hunter.  

I think it’s a great program, as many of my friends have kids who participated this year.  The one thing that rubs me the wrong way is the size of some of the deer I see in the back of trucks.  I’m talking doe the size of a small black labs.  Not sure how I feel about that.

On 11/15/2019 at 6:42 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

They recently had youth hunting weekend here in Vermont.  Essentially, if the kid can read well enough to pass the written test and completes the safety course, they can go hunting (and harvest one deer) with a licensed adult hunter.  

I think it’s a great program, as many of my friends have kids who participated this year.  The one thing that rubs me the wrong way is the size of some of the deer I see in the back of trucks.  I’m talking doe the size of a small black labs.  Not sure how I feel about that.

They look so much bigger when you are seeing them at the end of your barrel.    A few minutes later you're walking up to the dead deer thinking, man, I've seen bigger dogs.   Truth.

Then you hope none of your buddies see that you shot that little thing, because they are going to mock you.

Eventually you learn to be more patient when hunting and take your time sizing them up.    But kids, they are just happy they get to shoot at something.   It is a primal feeling of awesomeness.   

Edited by PolishDave