Wedding Gift Question

LabattBlue

Wedding gift amount?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How much(per person) do you put in the envelope when attending a wedding of a FRIEND?

• $25-49
    • $50-74
    • $75-$99
    • $100+
  2. 2. How much(per person) do you put in the envelope when attending a wedding of a FAMILY MEMBER?

• $25-49
    • $50-74
    • $75-$99
    • $100+
  3. 3. Cash, Check or Gift?

• Cash
    • Check
    • Gift

20 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Who in hell are the people <$100... ??? $25-$49... ??? This ain't 1966.  That won't cover plate & booze even @ Bob's Country Bunker in Kokomo, Indiana... Okay, maybe that will! ?

We had our reception in a fancy hotel, I think cost per person for meal and open bar was about $90/each. 

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

One of my Supervisors at work is getting married in a couple weeks.  I'm not going to her wedding (it's one of those destination things), but I will give her and her husband $100.  The main reason is because a colleague of mine jumped on her registry and got them a ***** microwave.  So I can't come in with a 50 spot after that.

Were you invited? Is this supervisor and family close enough to you to even invite you to the wedding? Is this colleague just being a brown noser? I've only gone to someone I worked with wedding once, because it was a small company, under 10 employees, and me and the groom did hang out together outside of work. 

14 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

Huh?

Another term for a Jack & Jill. 

Edited by Just Jack

7 hours ago, Augie said:

He texted a while ago saying “we need to buy a wedding venue!”

Old, refurbished barns seem to be the big draw around here lately. Each one we checked out while looking for a venue, we were told needed to be reserved almost a year in advance, due to demand. 

But, hey, if you're serious, here's one for sale....

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/11/a-complete-nightmare-bride-finds-out-wysockis-is-closing-7-months-before-wedding.html

https://www.weddingwire.com/biz/wysockis-manor-cicero/1000379a8dc1c530.html

On 11/15/2019 at 3:53 PM, Mark Vader said:

Does your son and family members know to not get married during football season?

After further consideration, it might be wise to look over the schedule and find a weekend where UGA plays Alabama, Auburn or Florida. That could save north of $10k on reception expenses, and the gift’s will still roll in! ?

They take their CFB seriously down here, and I’ll still get my Bills game the next day.

(I’m only about half kidding!)

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Old, refurbished barns seem to be the big draw around here lately. Each one we checked out while looking for a venue, we were told needed to be reserved almost a year in advance, due to demand. 

But, hey, if you're serious, here's one for sale....

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/11/a-complete-nightmare-bride-finds-out-wysockis-is-closing-7-months-before-wedding.html

https://www.weddingwire.com/biz/wysockis-manor-cicero/1000379a8dc1c530.html

I recently went to a wedding at a converted industrial site.  You’re right, it’s the latest trend. 

https://premierweddingvenuescny.com/venues/the-cannery/

2 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I recently went to a wedding at a converted industrial site.  You’re right, it’s the latest trend. 

https://premierweddingvenuescny.com/venues/the-cannery/

I think because you can make it “cool”, without being so stinking expensive! My wife has run LOTS of big events, and she says plan on $150/head. For 100 people it will be around $15k. Not sure they can get it under 100 even if they try. The GF is one of six daughters and my wife has a huge family as well. (Other recent family weddings have already created a rift because you have to draw the line somewhere!) If you can skip the Ritz and get that down significantly in a clever alternative site, WHY NOT? 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Were you invited? Is this supervisor and family close enough to you to even invite you to the wedding? Is this colleague just being a brown noser? I've only gone to someone I worked with wedding once, because it was a small company, under 10 employees, and me and the groom did hang out together outside of work. 

I was not invited.  She isn't a brown noser (and I'm the kind of manager where brown nosing makes me lose all respect and will have the opposite effect than the brown noser thinks it will) by any means.  We work very closely together (she's actually going to be be promoted soon, so she will no longer report to me) and have a great working relationship.  We don't hang outside of work (she's about 15 years younger than I am).  

I will admit ... this is not typical behavior for me.  I normally don't cross lines.  It's just a big deal and I want to get them a little something.  

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think because you can make it “cool”, without being so stinking expensive! My wife has run LOTS of big events, and she says plan on $150/head. For 100 people it will be around $15k. Not sure they can get it under 100 even if they try. The GF is one of six daughters and my wife has a huge family as well. (Other recent family weddings have already created a rift because you have to draw the line somewhere!) If you can skip the Ritz and get that down significantly in a clever alternative site, WHY NOT? 

When my daughter got married, my wife had a lot of input. Many tears were shed. The son in law and I were getting frustrated and angry because of all the stress and emotion.  It actually was a successful and enjoyable day in the end, but I’m still not sure it was worth the toll it took on the people involved.  That’s the stuff my son and his fiancé want to avoid. 

And don’t get me started on the cost of professional wedding photographers. 

16 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm 42 and just got married (wife is 41) a little more than a month ago (October 12)  and most friends gave $50 and most family members gave $100.

Congrats!!!

13 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

When my daughter got married, my wife had a lot of input. Many tears were shed. The son in law and I were getting frustrated and angry because of all the stress and emotion.  It actually was a successful and enjoyable day in the end, but I’m still not sure it was worth the toll it took on the people involved.  That’s the stuff my son and his fiancé want to avoid. 

My son is spending $400 just for some time today, on his engagement day. I can’t imagine what the wedding would cost. As I mentioned, they will get money from both sides to spend or save as they please. I think once the fiancé/former wedding planner gets involved they will spend wisely. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I was not invited.  She isn't a brown noser (and I'm the kind of manager where brown nosing makes me lose all respect and will have the opposite effect than the brown noser thinks it will) by any means.  We work very closely together (she's actually going to be be promoted soon, so she will no longer report to me) and have a great working relationship.  We don't hang outside of work (she's about 15 years younger than I am).  

I will admit ... this is not typical behavior for me.  I normally don't cross lines.  It's just a big deal and I want to get them a little something.  

I think I’d look for something thoughtful and cheap then. Has she mentioned any favorite restaurants? How about a gift card to one she likes? The wife and I actually do love getting restaurant gift cards because then we can have “cheap date nights”. 

Just now, Just Jack said:

I think I’d look for something thoughtful and cheap then. Has she mentioned any favorite restaurants? How about a gift card to one she likes? The wife and I actually do love getting restaurant gift cards because then we can have “cheap date nights”. 

Well, I would, but one of my colleagues went and got them a microwave off of their registry.  He wasn't invited, either and there's not even any reporting structure there.  I'm just gonna give them $100 in a card.

49 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Don't go cheap. I did my first wedding and was very disappointed. We had better photos from the guests than the photographer. Same goes for video and DJ. 

• Like (+1) 1

if it's a standard wedding that i don't have any real close ties to, it's usually $150 so i'm paying for my time there.  close family and people i care about get in the $300 range.  for a couple of very close friends i wrote big checks.  these were also the guys who would buy me drinks and cover dinners while i was still in school and had nothing.  they looked out for me so i was more than happy to share with them.  

if people want to go smaller, i like the idea of the gift cards, especially to restaurants.  as jack mentioned, it gives you a cheap date night out.  it might sound strange, but i'd rather get a $50 gift card to a good restaurant than $50 cash, (when it comes to this type of a gift).

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

@Augie, you live on the UES?

this is why weddings have gotten out of hand, as well as birthday party’s etc. 

That isn't for a wedding, that is for an IG "influencer".  ie, She makes a ***** ton of money selling herself and her kids on IG to advertisers, and needs a good photographer who can also touch up the photos to make it "natural".  She also wants the person to run her IG account for her so it is "authentic".

I think it is funny that she is looking for a nanny-wannabe, social media manager, and photographer all rolled into one.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

After further consideration, it might be wise to look over the schedule and find a weekend where UGA plays Alabama, Auburn or Florida. That could save north of $10k on reception expenses, and the gift’s will still roll in! ?

They take their CFB seriously down here, and I’ll still get my Bills game the next day.

(I’m only about half kidding!)

Ask, and you shall receive: https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/georgia

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

That isn't for a wedding, that is for an IG "influencer".  ie, She makes a ***** ton of money selling herself and her kids on IG to advertisers, and needs a good photographer who can also touch up the photos to make it "natural".  She also wants the person to run her IG account for her so it is "authentic".

I think it is funny that she is looking for a nanny-wannabe, social media manager, and photographer all rolled into one.

Oh i know, my contention that it is IG and the look at me culture that keeps amping tings up..100K weddings etc...all so you can put it on the Gram!