Wedding Gift Question

LabattBlue

Wedding gift amount?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How much(per person) do you put in the envelope when attending a wedding of a FRIEND?

• $25-49
    • $50-74
    • $75-$99
    • $100+
  2. 2. How much(per person) do you put in the envelope when attending a wedding of a FAMILY MEMBER?

• $25-49
    • $50-74
    • $75-$99
    • $100+
  3. 3. Cash, Check or Gift?

• Cash
    • Check
    • Gift

My wife's friend invited us to her daughters wedding 3 years ago.  It was at a nice place so we gave them $200 in an envelope.  Right before we get in there a few of the people tell us it is a cash bar.  So against my wife's protest I took $100 out of the card & only gave them $100.  

Weddings are the biggest ripoff there is.  You spend $30 grand + for one evening.  Although our parents paid for most of our wedding, they have become way too expensive.  I am dreading when my kids get married, knowing that I will probably get stuck footing most of the bill all the while knowing it is a big fat waste of money.   

It is funny in my 20s/early 30s I used to love going to weddings.  Get dressed up, get wasted with your friends.  I can't stand going to them now.  

Edited by Gordio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

My wife's friend invited us to her daughters wedding 3 years ago.  It was at a nice place so we gave them $200 in an envelope.  Right before we get in there a few of the people tell us it is a cash bar.  So against my wife's protest I took $100 out of the card & only gave them $100.  

Weddings are the biggest ripoff there is.  You spend $30 grand + for one evening.  Although our parents paid for most of our wedding, they have become way too expensive.  I am dreading when my kids get married, knowing that I will probably get stuck footing most of the bill all the while knowing it is a big fat waste of money.   

It is funny in my 20s/early 30s I used to love going to weddings.  Get dressed up, get wasted with your friends.  I can't stand going to them now.  

$30k is steep, me and the wife might have paid $16k for ours granted we did get help from her mom and my mom and dad. I agree that their over priced but it's usually the biggest party you'll ever host and to me is worth it if is pulled off well. 

13 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

$30k is steep, me and the wife might have paid $16k for ours granted we did get help from her mom and my mom and dad. I agree that their over priced but it's usually the biggest party you'll ever host and to me is worth it if is pulled off well. 

yeah I am not sure how much they cost now, I do hear $100 plate is usually the norm.  I think our wedding with everything came to about 18 grand & that was 18 years ago.  We had about 220 people there.