Steelers Browns: who should get suspended and how long?

Kelly the Dog

Which Players Should be Suspended?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. After Garrett's late hit in Rudolph, who should get suspended?

2. 2. What should the length of the suspension be for Garrett?

• 1 game
    • 3 games
    • Rest of This Season
    • Indefinite - there's no place for that
  3. 3. What should the length of the suspension be for Pouncey

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Should Mason Rudolph then be arrested for assault Also?

A.)Much harder to prove. The pictures you posted prove nothing.

B.) Grabbing someone's nuts in a pile when there's a fumble has happened since the start of the NFL, players have talked about it forever. It's nothing new. Picking someone up off the ground by their facemask, ripping off their helmet and then striking them in the head with their helmet has never been done and my guess is after the long suspension is handed down, it will never happen again. The game footage on the other hand proves everything in an assault trial against Garrett. Don't even need to call a witness.

C.) The first nut shot(If that's what it was) would be because Garrett was lifting him off the ground by his facemask, what would you do...sit there and do nothing?

Rudolph should be suspended 1-2 games for his attempts to hit Garrett in the balls and to rip his helmet off.  No place for that in the game.

Pouncey and Ogunjobi should be suspended 3-4 games for kicking and punching Garrett after the helmet swing.

Garrett should be suspended, at a minimum, the remainder of this season and at a maximum, a full year (16 games) for the helmet rip and swing.  From what I have heard and read, Garrett is not a cheap shot artist like Burfict and doesn't have a history of bad behavior.  He's a decent guy.  He just lost his cool (apparently because Rudolph went for his nuts - twice) and committed a terrible infraction.  I disagree with those who say he should be banned for life.  If he were suspended for 8-16 games and came back and did something similar again then yes, a lifetime ban would be appropriate.

The bigger picture is that sometimes it just makes sense to run out the clock.  Take a knee, or hand it off to your backup RB and get off the field.  Dropping back to pass on 4th and 29 in the shadow of your own goal line with less than 10 seconds left and down 2 scores just isn't necessary.  People get hurt and tempers can flare (as they did last night).  I have't read all 18 pages of this post, but from what I have seen and read elsewhere, not much has been said about this angle.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

None of those things are OK and no one is saying so.  

Garrett elevated it to another level.

Unless the NFL wants to see that level spread, they have got to clamp down hard.

That's an entirely different question and not relevant to the question of what Garrett did and what punishment it merits.

I get it.  Garrett will get suspended, however Rudolph isnt clean here like others want to make it out

Just now, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

A.)Much harder to prove. The pictures you posted prove nothing.

B.) Grabbing someone's nuts in a pile when there's a fumble has happened since the start of the NFL, players have talked about it forever. It's nothing new. Picking someone up off the ground by their facemask, ripping off their helmet and then striking them in the head with their helmet has never been done and my guess is after the long suspension is handed down, it will never happen again. The game footage on the other hand proves everything in an assault trial against Garrett. Don't even need to call a witness.

C.) The first nut shot(If that's what it was) would be because Garrett was lifting him off the ground by his facemask, what would you do...sit there and do nothing?

Who went after the Helmet initially?  Just checking

Just now, yungmack said:

Hitting Rudolph in the head with his own helmet is beyond even NHL brawls. That's assault and battery. He should be arrested, indicted and tried in the criminal court.

show'd the QB there....  that settles it...

13 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Maybe. Still pics leave a lot to be desired. In the first one I can't tell if it's an intentional kick to the groin or inadvertantly. The second pic with the hand is far from dispositive. But like I said, if he really was responding to a good shot to the nuts I'll be more understanding.

And again, I'm not sure why people are ignoring what set Rudolph off in the first place.

Garrett ragdolls him to the ground on the initial hit and you see Rudolph's head hit the ground BECAUSE of that tackle...long after Rudolph got rid of the ball. 

But hey...it's just like baseball, so does it really matter what Garrett did?

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

And again, I'm not sure why people are ignoring what set Rudolph off in the first place.

Garrett ragdolls him to the ground on the initial hit and you see Rudolph's head hit the ground BECAUSE of that tackle...long after Rudolph got rid of the ball. 

Happens every week  So not point to me other QBs reactions like the Ball Grabber

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Really?  So grabbing Junk, Kicking Junk, trying to rip off Helmet is OK.  

See I am NOT saying what Garrett did is OK, but I am also not taking it out of the context that he was Surrounded by Steelers and getting assaulted himself.

Then they shouldnt be all butt hurt about Mason Rudolph being HIT then should they

For once I agree with you, but I HATE how you deliver the message. 

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

Really??  HMMM That ISNT LATE

Capture.JPG

48 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And now this will happen more and more because guess what there is assault in EVERY football game.  If this thing does get filed

It will happen more often if an assault charge gets filed? Like players will assault each other more often out of protest? Take a break, man, you're clogging the thread.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Why are the Steeler's putting their QB that has been Concussed a couple weeks ago in a position to get hit when down 14 with 8 seconds left?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/15/nfl-is-sanctioned-violence-myles-garrett-still-violated-its-codes/

Please, please, don't engage in whataboutism. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, Nelius said:

It will happen more often if an assault charge gets filed? Like players will assault each other more often out of protest? Take a break, man, you're clogging the thread.

More assault charges will be filed if the Steelers actually file these.  that is what I am saying

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I am not, but people want to talk about the HIT like is was something egregious, IT wasnt  Steelers dont want that to happen DONT put your QB in that position when down by 14 with 8 seconds left

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

More assault charges will be filed if the Steelers actually file these.  that is what I am saying

I am not, but people want to talk about the HIT like is was something egregious, IT wasnt  Steelers dont want that to happen DONT put your QB in that position when down by 14 with 8 seconds left

You and I both know that pretty much every team in the league runs little dump offs at the end of out-of-hand games. Their occurrence is so frequent as to be banal. Please don't engage in whataboutism. 

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yeah, you're right, typical football, happens every week. ?

Sorry, but that is a ridiculous take. Hitting an unprotected player over the head with a helmet is NOT part of football.  I am all for violence within the confines of the rules, but this is way outside of those lines.

I agree, he should be suspended.

8 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

That's a great point. 

I know the law doesn't necessarily apply on the football field like it does in reality, but you can't provoke an attack and then claim self-defense.