Steelers Browns: who should get suspended and how long?

Kelly the Dog

Which Players Should be Suspended?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. After Garrett's late hit in Rudolph, who should get suspended?

2. 2. What should the length of the suspension be for Garrett?

• 1 game
    • 3 games
    • Rest of This Season
    • Indefinite - there's no place for that
  3. 3. What should the length of the suspension be for Pouncey

Just now, Rob's House said:

If the helmet swing was an immediate response to a good hit in the nuts I'll be a bit more understanding of it.

Just posted a nice clear picture of the two Junk assualts and the Rudolph attack the head on the ground.  All before the helmet swing

The league has invested the incident that occurred at the conclusion of the Thursday Night Football game between the Steelers and Browns, and have determined the appropriate discipline for the parties involved.

Miles Garrett will receive a sharp strike, with an open hand, on the joint between his hand and forearm.  I trust the severity of this punishment will send a message that player safety remains the league’s top priority.

Maurkice Pouncey and  Larry Ogunjobi have been fined undisclosed amounts for their participation in the unfortunate event.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Better Pics.  Notice the Heal of Rudolphs Cleat, not tell me again he didnt kick him in the junk.

Maybe. Still pics leave a lot to be desired. In the first one I can't tell if it's an intentional kick to the groin or inadvertantly. The second pic with the hand is far from dispositive. But like I said, if he really was responding to a good shot to the nuts I'll be more understanding.

2 minutes ago, hemma said:

I think I'd go the rest of the season for Garrett and Pouncey.

Be it helmet to the head or cleat to the head, the minimum intent is serious injury.

I have no idea how Pouncey's act deserves the same punishment as Garrett's. If Pouncey gets the rest of the year, Garrett would get all of next year also. Public opinion plays a part in this and the opinions of Pouncey's actions are far different than the opinions of Garrett's actions. He should be arrested for his actions, just like what happened in the NHL when a player used a piece of his equipment as a weapon and hit another player in the head with his stick. He got 18 months probation.

Just now, Rob's House said:

Maybe. Still pics leave a lot to be desired. In the first one I can't tell if it's an intentional kick to the groin or inadvertantly. The second pic with the hand is far from dispositive. But like I said, if he really was responding to a good shot to the nuts I'll be more understanding.

You have the pics the video is also clear, the First you can clearly see intent in the kick on the Video.  The second contradicts the Steelers and announcers saying Rudolph was holding grabbing his helmet and that is why his arm was like that, clearly not even close

16 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I bring back the baseball analogy, when a pitcher beans a batter.  Do hockey players press charges when someone swings their stick at players head in frustration?  

A lot of you need to find a new sport to watch.  Football is violent and skirmishes happen from time to time.  Sometimes it goes overboard, but it all stays on the field.

I've seen more potentially deadly hits on defenseless receivers than what transpired last night.

You guys are ridiculous!  

I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's pretty telling that expert opinion seems to vary on how much Rudolph is at fault, but no one seems to exculpate Garrett.

Even in hockey swinging a stick at a helmetless player seems considered beyond the pale.

Just now, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I have no idea how Pouncey's act deserves the same punishment as Garrett's. If Pouncey gets the rest of the year, Garrett would get all of next year also. Public opinion plays a part in this and the opinions of Pouncey's actions are far different than the opinions of Garrett's actions. He should be arrested for his actions, just like what happened in the NHL when a player used a piece of his equipment as a weapon and hit another player in the head with his stick. He got 18 months probation.

Should Mason Rudolph then be arrested for assault Also?

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The larger issue is the Browns culture. Why Garrett is taking a QB down HARD with 8 seconds left on a meaningless play is the real issue given the broader context of the Browns' constant cheap shots. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/15/source-thursday-nights-game-was-like-a-bounty-game/

A high-level source with another team, who spoke on condition of anonymity given the sensitivity of the subject and league rules that prohibit the public criticism of other teams, had this to say about the situation: “If the league is serious, they should fine Browns $5 million and fine [coach Freddie Kitchens] $500,000.  That was like a bounty game.  There were so many unnecessary flagrant hits, and then the cherry on top.”

While Myles Garrett‘s misbehavior will receive most of the attention, other illegal hits happened. Defensive back Damarious Randall applied an illegal hit to Steelers receiver Diontae Johnson, resulting in an ejection — and images of Johnson having blood running from his ear. Steelers receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster also suffered a concussion during the game, courtesy of a pair of helmet-to-helmet hits at a time when he was in a defenseless posture. (No flag was thrown.)

The Browns have played an undisciplined brand of football all year long. During training camp, the Browns engaged in joint practice with the Colts. Cleveland coach Freddie Kitchens said after a session that featured multiple fights that “we’re not going to back down to anybody.” Kitchens grew angry at having those words read back to him after Thursday night’s game, insisting that he doesn’t coach penalties.

Maybe he doesn’t coach penalties, but it would be interesting to know what the coaching staff did to get Cleveland’s players sufficiently cranked up for Thursday night’s game to result in an ejection for an illegal hit, another illegal hit that wasn’t called, and ultimately the Myles Garrett incident. While Kitchens surely never told Garrett or anyone else to remove a player’s helmet and hit him with it, it’s Kitchens’ team. He lays down the law. He says what is and isn’t acceptable. And whatever messages he and his staff communicated prior to Thursday night’s game helped set the stage for what unfolded.

Consider this, from Jeremy Fowler of ESPN: “Myles Garrett completely lost it, connected the helmet square on Mason Rudolph’s head. And the Browns were celebrating the whole thing from the sideline.” (Emphasis added.)

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Full season is a minimum for Garrett.  I also think number 65 from Cleveland should suspended 2 games for pushing Rudolph to the ground after he was helmet chomped. 

I see no reason to suspend anyone else.  Pouncy punched and kicked Garrett, but he totally deserved it.  Having punched Garrett in the helmet, brusied knuckles is punishment enough. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Are you serious? The scrum that took place in beginning is something we have seen a million times in nfl games. What we saw at the end is something we have never seen before in sports. Lets come back to reality would you....

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Maybe football players have a different physiology but if it really was a "good shot to the nuts" how is Garrett up there running around?

Not to give y'all TMI on ol' Hap's past life here, but a good shot to the nuts is pragmatically how we were taught to take people out in extreme need, to protect ourselves and colleagues.  If it didn't take 'em out, it wasn't good.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

The larger issue is the Browns culture. Why Garrett is taking a QB down HARD with 8 seconds left on a meaningless play is the real issue given the context of Browns' cheap shots. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/15/source-thursday-nights-game-was-like-a-bounty-game/

A high-level source with another team, who spoke on condition of anonymity given the sensitivity of the subject and league rules that prohibit the public criticism of other teams, had this to say about the situation: “If the league is serious, they should fine Browns $5 million and fine [coach Freddie Kitchens] $500,000.  That was like a bounty game.  There were so many unnecessary flagrant hits, and then the cherry on top.”

While Myles Garrett‘s misbehavior will receive most of the attention, other illegal hits happened. Defensive back Damarious Randall applied an illegal hit to Steelers receiver Diontae Johnson, resulting in an ejection — and images of Johnson having blood running from his ear. Steelers receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster also suffered a concussion during the game, courtesy of a pair of helmet-to-helmet hits at a time when he was in a defenseless posture. (No flag was thrown.)

The Browns have played an undisciplined brand of football all year long. During training camp, the Browns engaged in joint practice with the Colts. Cleveland coach Freddie Kitchens said after a session that featured multiple fights that “we’re not going to back down to anybody.” Kitchens grew angry at having those words read back to him after Thursday night’s game, insisting that he doesn’t coach penalties.

Maybe he doesn’t coach penalties, but it would be interesting to know what the coaching staff did to get Cleveland’s players sufficiently cranked up for Thursday night’s game to result in an ejection for an illegal hit, another illegal hit that wasn’t called, and ultimately the Myles Garrett incident. While Kitchens surely never told Garrett or anyone else to remove a player’s helmet and hit him with it, it’s Kitchens’ team. He lays down the law. He says what is and isn’t acceptable. And whatever messages he and his staff communicated prior to Thursday night’s game helped set the stage for what unfolded.

Consider this, from Jeremy Fowler of ESPN: “Myles Garrett completely lost it, connected the helmet square on Mason Rudolph’s head. And the Browns were celebrating the whole thing from the sideline.” (Emphasis added.)

Why are the Steeler's putting their QB that has been Concussed a couple weeks ago in a position to get hit when down 14 with 8 seconds left?

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Why are the Steeler's putting their QB that has been Concussed a couple weeks ago in a position to get hit when down 14 with 8 seconds left?

teams aren't generally paralyzed by fear of injury

it's good question for 20/20 hindsight though

Just now, badassgixxer05 said:

Are you serious? The scrum that took place in beginning is something we have seen a million times in nfl games. What we saw at the end is something we have never seen before in sports. Lets come back to reality would you....

Really?  So grabbing Junk, Kicking Junk, trying to rip off Helmet is OK.  

See I am NOT saying what Garrett did is OK, but I am also not taking it out of the context that he was Surrounded by Steelers and getting assaulted himself.

Just now, row_33 said:

teams aren't generally paralyzed by fear of injury

it's good question for 20/20 hindsight though

Then they shouldnt be all butt hurt about Mason Rudolph being HIT then should they

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Really?  So grabbing Junk, Kicking Junk, trying to rip off Helmet is OK.  

See I am NOT saying what Garrett did is OK, but I am also not taking it out of the context that he was Surrounded by Steelers and getting assaulted himself.

None of those things are OK and no one is saying so.  

Garrett elevated it to another level.

Unless the NFL wants to see that level spread, they have got to clamp down hard.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

That's an entirely different question and not relevant to the question of what Garrett did and what punishment it merits.