Steelers Browns: who should get suspended and how long?

Kelly the Dog

Which Players Should be Suspended?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. After Garrett's late hit in Rudolph, who should get suspended?

2. 2. What should the length of the suspension be for Garrett?

• 1 game
    • 3 games
    • Rest of This Season
    • Indefinite - there's no place for that
  3. 3. What should the length of the suspension be for Pouncey

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Let's try a little experiment: walk out onto the street and club someone over the head with a football helmet, then get back to us about what happens.

Walk up to them and tackle them.
Walk up to them and throw a football at them at 40 miles an hour.

Walk up to them and scream to them to get to the fukking line of scrimmage in 4 seconds.

Anything that happens out of context is illegal.

1 minute ago, JohnnyGold said:

Walk up to them and tackle them.
Walk up to them and throw a football at them at 40 miles an hour.

Walk up to them and scream to them to get to the fukking line of scrimmage in 4 seconds.

Anything that happens out of context is illegal.

Why, oh why do you choose to defend a blatant thug?

Former Player 

[Bobby, the former player take is fine, but the blogger who recorded and posted this is using unacceptable language over and over loudly.  I'm sorry, I can't leave it up. If you can find a clip without the overvoice, or edit it to stop short of the overvoice, please feel free to edit and put it back.  Sorry! -Hap]

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
inappropriate language in video

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I would love to see the field audio get released.  

Rudolph definitely deserves a suspension.  I don’t think the NFL cares that he’s a QB of them are in the playoffs.  That’s some dumb conspiracy stuff.  

Rudolph gave Garrett the idea by trying to take his helmet off.   I know there was a lot of chippiness before and that was a late hit, but Rudolph did plenty to set that entire situation off as much as Garrett.  Garrett then went extra crazy.  

If Rudolph doesn’t try to take his helmet or kick in the bullseye, nothing else happens.  He’s far from innocent 

If Garrett doesn't swing his helmet are you still arguing for Rudolph's suspension?

• Like (+1) 1

Rudolph's reaction is easily explainable with the horrendous game he had and the fact that Garret followed through on a late dirty hit that might have been the last play of the game. But  Garret? what reason does he have to lose his mind that like that? A drunk man in a barfight who is fighting for his life maybe, but a football player at the end of the game where his team is winning and there is no chance of a comeback? To swing a helmet? He could have seriously injured him for life. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

If you look closely at the picture, Mason Rodolph is clearly moving to bite Myles Garrett so its really a case of self defense

Yeah, I mean the way Rudolph played last night, he might have Rabies or something...

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, mattynh said:

you guys are nuts, Garrett one game, fines for some of the others.  This is football not thanksgiving dinner.

Wow, seriously? I'm on the other end. This is football, not a gladiatorial fight to the death. Hitting someone in the head with a helmet and kicking a player in the head could end their careers. 

Also, this is why I can't feel any tinge of rooting for the Browns due to their long-suffering fans (and why last week's loss stung extra-hard, even if it was just one close loss on the road). Between Hunt, Landry, and others, this group is just dirty and unlikable to the core. I'd love to see them end 4-12. 

1 minute ago, thurst44 said:

Wow, seriously? I'm on the other end. This is football, not a gladiatorial fight to the death. Hitting someone in the head with a helmet and kicking a player in the head could end their careers.

I think we're on the same relative wavelength. The fact that this is football is why it's so egregious. There are legitimate plays that can end seasons or careers. There's evidence that the human body deteriorates at an astonishing rate just from playing the game.

It's already dangerous enough without these types of actions. Myles didn't just cross a line last night, he bulldozed it. In an era of enlightenment on head injuries and emphasis on player safety, I'm not sure how you can ever reasonably trust Myles Garrett to play the game again.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Rob's House said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Marcus Spears seems to agree that Garrett was way out of line regardless of whether Rudolph overreacted.

Showing that there are mitigating circumstances that the NFL will take into consideration and why this will not be as big of a suspension as people are thinking.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

This is like teams running up the score. If you don't want hit, don't run a play. That is on Tomlin, not Cleveland. The tackle on Rudolph wasn't hard, at all. There was more than enough time on the play clock to run out the game clock.

Garrett went way too far with the helmet. Rudolph was just as much at fault up to that point.

The tackle on Rudolph was plainly late.  The rules are unambiguous on that point wrt QB - he's gotten rid of the ball, you don't hit him, period.

You seem to be missing or excusing that point.

As far as what happened afterwards, I do agree that usually when a player loses control it's provoked.  We agree Garrett went way too far.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Showing that there are mitigating circumstances that the NFL will take into consideration and why this will not be as big of a suspension as people are thinking.  

I said before, I'll say again: if the NFL doesn't want a great big PR kerfluffle they need to, as Marcus Spears says, "focus on me cracking your skull"

You simply don't get to do that, and if they don't want to see it more, they have to nip this in the bud.

6 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Guy flips a bat in MLB and his next at bat he gets a 90mph fastball toward his head and neck and it's just "a part of the game".  

Let me know when the pitcher removes the batter's helmet before tossing that fast ball. Then MAYBE you'll have a point.

This league has spent millions in equipment, team physicians, and marketing to ensure the world knows they will do everything they can to protect a player taking a blow to the head. You can't watch what happened last night and explain it's just 'part of the game.' Which is precisely what you implied withe false equivalent.

Honestly, suggesting fans have selective outrage feels a lot like you're just trying to be contrary for the sake of being contrary.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He is also flat-out one of the best players in the league. An uncomfortable truth about the NFL that still applies despite all the talk about player safety:

image.jpeg.74b5f7608fee645a09798bedb88a7413.jpeg

I was suggesting he be cut. We both know if you'll give Michael Vick a multi-million dollar contract coming out of prison after executing dogs by hanging them from trees, putting bullets in their heads and holding their heads in a bucket of water, Garrett will surely play again.

There's a couple things to consider here:

1. Vontaze Burfict establishes a precedent

2. Much like Burfict, Myles Garrett has shown a history of dirty hits

With this in mind, the minimum suspension has to be based on the season long suspension of Burfict. Additionally, Burfict never used a "weapon" to attack his victims. So the formula for Garrett's suspension will have to be:

Burfict's suspension plus use of a weapon in the commission of the act. Burfict got 12 games.

I ask you, what is the value of the use of the helmet as a weapon? Whatever you may believe should then be added to 12 games and then you have the suspension due Myles Garrett. 

By the looks of the tape Mason Rudolph to begin with was frustrated by the entire game of coarse but by the looks of it as he was thrown to the ground by Garrett while trying to get up or get Garrett off of him he Rudolph pulled the back of Garrett's helmet which i believe to be the thing that pushed Garrett over the edge .

So usually the second guy is the one that they notice but in this case Rudolph is not just the innocent by stander that did nothing so he needs to get one game as do all those others involved because if Garrett gets up & is just trash talking with out Rudolph pulling his helmet nothing happens .

If Garrett doesn't basically pile drive Rudolph into the turf it's just another sack in the game , I guess what i'm trying to say is there is enough blame to go around that both teams will be with out starters for multiple games if the NFL see's fit to do so !! 

There's definitely room to say that Rudolph is to blame as well... But the hit was late to begin with, taking him to the ground was unnecessary and pointless, and then even after he's getting pulled off of him, he's twisting his helmet off. Blame all around, but Garrett is the most egregious.

I do feel bad for the NFL people who have to decide this *****...

Edited by whatdrought