Steelers Browns: who should get suspended and how long?

Kelly the Dog

Which Players Should be Suspended?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. After Garrett's late hit in Rudolph, who should get suspended?

2. 2. What should the length of the suspension be for Garrett?

• 1 game
    • 3 games
    • Rest of This Season
    • Indefinite - there's no place for that
  3. 3. What should the length of the suspension be for Pouncey

Myles Garrett suspension for Steelers-Browns fight: Why he deserves record punishment for helmet swing

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28083617/myles-garrett-suspension-steelers-browns-fight-why-deserves-record-punishment-helmet-swing

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28083493/three-ejected-nasty-brawl-tarnishes-end-steelers-browns

Browns defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi, who pushed Rudolph to the ground from behind after the Steelers quarterback had been hit by Garrett, and Pittsburgh center Maurkice Pouncey also were ejected. Pouncey jumped into Garrett and kicked him as Steelers teammate David DeCastro pinned Garrett to the ground.

"I thought it was pretty cowardly," Rudolph said of Garrett's actions following Cleveland's 21-7 victory. "Pretty bush league."

I think the NFL sends a message with this one.  

At minimum, the remainder of the 2019 season.  I wouldn't' be surprised if he gets at least half of next season too.

Garrett had malicious intent, used a weapon and he connected with the hit to a person's head.  It's felony assault.  

All on broadcast television, and if you're a cynic, that's the real reason why the punishment will be significant.    

8 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

It should be for the rest of the season. And instead of just sitting at home, he should be made to do some service. Like washing the jock straps of every NFL player, by hand, no machines, after a long, sweaty, workout.

I like the notion, but c'mon man - if you're an NFL player, do you want that tool near the stuff that contacts your man-parts?  He'd probably infect them with MRSA or herpes or plague

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The NFL is so bizarre and unpredictable with stuff like this.

I am going to say four games. It should be the rest of the season. They will screw it up some way. There is zero excuse for it, and it really could have injured Rudolph badly.

What say you?

two games appealed down to one

Wish I could say I'm surprised by some of the reactions here, but some people really have a screw loose.

There are actually people on here defending Myles Garrett, or saying it "really wasn't that bad."  

This is not selective outrage or an overreaction.  What we just witnessed was literally assault and battery.  The kind that gets you locked up in jail.  This was not just a street fight with punches, pushing and shoving.  There is absolutely no doubt Roger Goodell should suspend Garrett for the remainder of the 2019 season, and there should be serious consideration on making this a permanent ban from the NFL.

If you watch the play, Garrett clearly pulls Rudolph to the ground LONG after the throw has been made.  This was a clear-cut situation of roughing the passer, and very obviously what started the fight.  Rudolph's immediate reaction (grabbing Garrett by the facemask) was quite possibly worthy of a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty.  And him continuing to get in the DE's face escalated the fight, no doubt.  But at no point did Rudolph actually threaten bodily harm to Garrett (he didn't even throw a punch), and it certainly doesn't justify getting beaten over the head with a blunt object.

The scary part about what Garrett did, was that he clearly had time to think before the swing.  It took him a good 4-5 seconds to rip off Rudolph's helmet, at which point he was separated from the QB by David DeCastro and an official.  He had plenty of time to drop the helmet, and throw a punch instead.  At that point, we probably would be talking about BOTH Garrett and Rudolph getting 1-game suspensions.  Instead, this story is plastered all over the national news.

I suck at multiple choice 

Let the people read the events 

Myles Garrett suspension for Steelers-Browns fight: Why he deserves record punishment for helmet swing

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28083617/myles-garrett-suspension-steelers-browns-fight-why-deserves-record-punishment-helmet-swing

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28083493/three-ejected-nasty-brawl-tarnishes-end-steelers-browns

Browns defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi, who pushed Rudolph to the ground from behind after the Steelers quarterback had been hit by Garrett, and Pittsburgh center Maurkice Pouncey also were ejected. Pouncey jumped into Garrett and kicked him as Steelers teammate David DeCastro pinned Garrett to the ground.

"I thought it was pretty cowardly," Rudolph said of Garrett's actions following Cleveland's 21-7 victory. "Pretty bush league."

by season you do mean

the rest of the season 

In order 

season 

three

Kudos for the public (Not private)  poll 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Nope the shield ? can’t be too lenient here. 

As a Canuck, I’m used to the travesty of NHL Penalties for much, much more violent assault than that! 

Buuuuuuut, Roger is perceived as an out of his depth cream puff, who takes ALL barrels now, whatever he does! Could indeed be longer, because of that. Other fines & suspensions as well (Pouncey).

And then, there’s this:

Freddie Kitchens on ESPN:
"Do you think the team's out of control?"
"No. I think people get helmet-to-helmet contacts every week." ????

Kitchens should be turfed because he’s a clueless, incompetent buffoon- with NO control over the Clowns! 

Anybody else take the story of Garrett getting punched by a random fan a few weeks ago, differently after this?

I remember thinking that felt like an odd story previously and there might be something more to it.... now I'm definitely thinking that's an incomplete story and one where he likely was an aggressor in.

I personally think it should be the rest of the season at least.   It is hard to say what will really happen.  NFL is very inconsistent.  If he had done that to Brady, he would have been suspended for a year, If he had done that to Josh Allen, the punishment would have just been a 500 dollar fine and a 15 yard penalty offset by a holding call.    Pittsburgh is a little higher in Goodell's pecking order, so I will predict 4 games.    Sorry for sounding cynical, I am just annoyed with how the NFL has no rhyme or reason behind their discipline

Edited by dgrochester55

3 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

As a Canuck, I’m used to the travesty of NHL Penalties for much, much more violent assault than that! 

You have a point but fighting in hockey is still allowed. It is not allowed in football ? 

I watched Ovie knock out some rookie trying to be tough with 3 solid punches.  

Welcome to the NHL rookie!!

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

Has anyone asked: why was Tomlin running a play there?  I never understand why coaches run pointless plays with the time expiring.  Kitchens did it last week at the end of the half, handing the ball off with time running out.  You’re just asking for injuries or worse.  Why do coaches do this?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

If thats the case, someone rip off Tom Bradys helmet right now..

jk jk...

reason I am going with Two down to one is there is really no long term history of this from Him. Think Suh, Harrison etc. they step up the punishment that is why I am going with two games. 

Be prepared though for nothing more than a big Fine as well.