Steelers Browns: who should get suspended and how long?

Kelly the Dog

Which Players Should be Suspended?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. After Garrett's late hit in Rudolph, who should get suspended?

2. 2. What should the length of the suspension be for Garrett?

• 1 game
    • 3 games
    • Rest of This Season
    • Indefinite - there's no place for that
  3. 3. What should the length of the suspension be for Pouncey

Wow just saw it. Kind of feel like people are taking this way too lightly. Really liked him as a player and person before tonight, but hope to god they throw him out of the ***** league and set an example. Inexcusable. A 270 pound man swinging just about anything at your head could kill you if done right, I think that might have been the most screwed up thing I've ever seen in sports. Mental health, whatever, get him out of the league.

38 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Call me old school.  Was it dirty?  Absolutely, but I'm not going for the "he nearly killed him" bs.

Please cite your old school examples of players swinging helmets, or any blunt objects, at other players unprotected heads.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeh I’m sure you a bad dude and all but here take a moment from your bad self and hear from the actual old school

https://mobile.twitter.com/Andre_Reed83/status/1195206600669052928?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1195206600669052928&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2F

I'll never get through to most of you, so I'm not going to try.

How many games did Evgeni Malkan get for swinging his stick like a samurai sword? 

Was the act bad?   Yes, but ffs, let's not get all Helen Lovejoy. 

25 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Please cite your old school examples of players swinging helmets, or any blunt objects, at other players unprotected heads.

Any number of "legal" crack back blocks are worse than what we saw tonight.

Jarvis Landry's hit on Aaron Williams, for example.   FAR worse.  Evgeni Malkan's swing of his hockey stick. FAR worse.  Discipline Garrett for the act, but spare me the outrage.

Edited by Chicken Boo

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I'll never get through to most of you, so I'm not going to try.

How many games did Evgeni Malkan get for swinging his stick like a samurai sword? 

Was the act bad?   Yes, but ffs, let's not get all Helen Lovejoy. 

Marty Mcsorley got over 20 games for whacking Donald Brashear in the head with his stick in the late 90's

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Any number of "legal" crack back blocks are worse than what we saw tonight.

Jarvis Landry's hit on Aaron Williams, for example.   FAR worse.  Evgeni Malkan's swing of his hockey stick. FAR worse.  Discipline Garrett for the act, but spare me the outrage.

No, really none of that is as bad as a 270 pound freak with leverage swinging a helmet at your unprotected head. Sorry dude.

And also, this is after they just had a dude thrown off the team last week for threatening fans immediately after the game ended. Seems he was actually in the locker room threatening fans on his phone. And not just sort of threatening, but throwing out cryptic my gang is going to watch you and kill your family type threats. Cleveland is a dumpster fire, who the hell knows what's going on in that locker room but I sure as hell wouldn't try to defend any of it. Horrible, horrible franchise.

Edited by Nelius
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Qearly2018 said:

Marty Mcsorley got over 20 games for whacking Donald Brashear in the head with his stick in the late 90's

An appropriate suspension as Mcsoreley had a history.

I'm not saying NOT to suspend Garrett, I'm specifically talking to the fans and their selective outrage.

Guy flips a bat in MLB and his next at bat he gets a 90mph fastball toward his head and neck and it's just "a part of the game".  

I hate the double standard and I hate when fans overreact.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

I'm not saying NOT to suspend Garrett, I'm specifically talking to the fans and their selective outrage.

Guy flips a bat in MLB and his next at bat he gets a 90mph fastball toward his head and neck and it's just "a part of the game".  

I hate the double standard and I hate when fans overreact.

Do you think because you’re comparing two different sports that makes it a ‘double standard’?

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I hate the double standard.

Why are you going on about "selective outrage"? This is unprecedented. One of the biggest, strongest dudes in the NFL just full force swung a large object at a much smaller man's unprotected head. Does that object need to be anvil shaped or something for you to take it seriously? This wasn't some hard check that the boys will laugh about later. C'mon, dude. We all just witnessed serious assault and thank god Rudolph wasn't caught in a way that would shut even armchair tough guys up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Landry sounds legit dejected.

Excellent...

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Am I crazy or was this no worse than the hit Gronk put on Tre White? That was one of the dirtiest hits I've ever seen and no seemed to really care.

I think Garrett will be suspended the rest of the season.

Not sure I’d go that far, but Gronk deserved more than what he got. I always felt Jarvis Landry deserved far more than what he got for the Aaron Williams cheap shot. But as the OP said, the NFL’s bizarre and inconsistent response to these on-field issues proves their gross incompetence on such matters. 

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

If i had to bet, its 4 games.

I think it should be remainder of the season

It will be the rest of the season, for certain. 

It'll likely extend into next season. Honestly I think it'll go at least 10 games into next season though it might go the entire year barring appeal. 

But the outrage from all over is so strong, the remainder of this year is a certainty. All of next season seems realistic too, but we'll see. 

I just don't see any way he's on the field you start the 2020 season. 

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

This got a three game suspension without the helmet hitting Incognito (of course).

Seifert believes it deserves a record setting punishment -

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28083617/myles-garrett-suspension-steelers-browns-fight-why-deserves-record-punishment-helmet-swing

I think it will. None of the other acts people are bringing up will serve as good comparison except Haynesworth, but even this looked more criminal. 

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

This got a three game suspension without the helmet hitting Incognito (of course).

Seifert believes it deserves a record setting punishment -

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28083617/myles-garrett-suspension-steelers-browns-fight-why-deserves-record-punishment-helmet-swing

I think it will. None of the other acts people are bringing up will serve as good comparison except Haynesworth, but even this looked more criminal. 

The question isn't how many games the NFL should suspend him. It is how can you beat another person in the head on national television with multiple cameras recording the incident and not be criminally charged with assault with a deadly weapon. The play was over so this was not a legitimate part of a sporting event. It was a blatant criminal act between two individuals with intent. How is he not criminally charged and prosecuted?

• Like (+1) 2

Forget the outcome of this for one second.

What the heck was running thru Garrett’s mind to do this in the first place?

He literally could have killed someone.

He put his team in serious jeopardy by what he did.

And he put himself in serious jeopardy in terms of being suspended.

Everyone in the Browns organization should be outraged over this.

• Like (+1) 1

It looked like Rudolph was none too pleased with being taken to the ground and started grabbing myles’ head/helmet . Myles responded to this by returning the favor and grabbed Rudolph’s head/helmet. While getting up, Myles pulled on Rudolph’s face mask and ripped his helmet off. 

At at that point the fight on the ground was over. Decastro then intervenes and starts to walk Myles away from Rudolph. Rudolph decides that this is the perfect time to reengage with Myles and goes after him again. Outnumbered and being moved backwards, garret responds by swinging at the (perceived or real) aggressor(s) with his right hand that still held Rudolph’s helmet, making contact with Rudolph’s head. Then Myles is (rightly) taken to the ground by a group of Steelers while all hell breaks loose. 

That’s what I saw in the video clip.

the optics of swinging a helmet at a helmet-less-player’s head are bad and Myles will be suspended. 

Rudolph looked like a frustrated person trying to take his aggression out on what was reachable. In this case, that just happened to be a someone he couldn’t push around. 

Rudolph was at minimum a willing participant, if not the aggressor, at every point of the post-play interaction.  

Edited by Shortchaz

24 minutes ago, simpleman said:

The question isn't how many games the NFL should suspend him. It is how can you beat another person in the head on national television with multiple cameras recording the incident and not be criminally charged with assault with a deadly weapon. The play was over so this was not a legitimate part of a sporting event. It was a blatant criminal act between two individuals with intent. How is he not criminally charged and prosecuted?

According to reports, Cleveland police were seen exiting the locker room after the game, for what it’s worth.