1 very underrated band no one ever talks about

Phil The Thrill

Jools Holland's best session one-take recording for the outro the last 3 1/2 minutes, yeah it was good enough to change plans and keep it on the recording...

on the best album of the 1980s, easily....

Edited by row_33

On 11/15/2019 at 5:19 PM, Phil The Thrill said:

No way... Radiohead had more than 1 hit across their first three albums.  Not a fair comparison 

Really?  What was that hit?  When was Radiohead ever played on radio besides Creep?

Was just thinking about this topic and while i could reel off a bunch of bands that are highly underrated(or more accurately unknown by the general public).  One band that sticks out as highly underrated is Flaming Lips.  Sure they are known, but i think some of their stuff is too 'out there' for main stream play on the airwaves which prevents them from having a larger reach.

Not really underrated, but a band I'm appreciating more and more is Genesis, especially during the early-mid 1970s.  Starting with Foxtrot and through And Then There Were Three, this band really had it going on...and the music certainly holds up more than 40 years later.

Just now, Ned Flanders said:

Not really underrated, but a band I'm appreciating more and more is Genesis, especially during the early-mid 1970s.  Starting with Foxtrot and through And Then There Were Three, this band really had it going on...and the music certainly holds up more than 40 years later.

welcome aboard, you can go back a little before Foxtrot as well... :D

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Giant Hogweed!

13 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

The Musical Box does great tribute band work for all iterations of Genesis, I have seen them 4 times in Toronto and Montreal through the years..

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Really?  What was that hit?  When was Radiohead ever played on radio besides Creep?

High and Dry, Paranoid Android, Karma Police all got pretty good air time.  Some other The Bends songs too, but not as much as those three.  Pretty much off the air after OK Computer though.

1 hour ago, The Jerk said:

Except the rest of their stuff is pretty terrible.  One drummer was the son of my grandma's neighbor (they were a Buffalo band if anyone wasn't aware).  Not the future Tool drummer, another one.  He gave me some sticks when they were in their 15 minutes of fame.  It was pretty awesome to my middle school self.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

The Musical Box does great tribute band work for all iterations of Genesis, I have seen them 4 times in Toronto and Montreal through the years..

Yes, and I understand they will be in my area, Alexandria, VA, on April 2.  I'll be there.

Also, in the 80s and 90s, there was a cover band called Over the Garden Wall, from Toronto, IIRC, that I saw several times in Rochester at the Penny Arcade.  They were great!  They always opened up with Watcher of the Skies, with the lead singer in full Peter Gabriel-like costume. 

5 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Yes, and I understand they will be in my area, Alexandria, VA, on April 2.  I'll be there.

Also, in the 80s and 90s, there was a cover band called Over the Garden Wall, from Toronto, IIRC, that I saw several times in Rochester at the Penny Arcade.  They were great!  They always opened up with Watcher of the Skies, with the lead singer in full Peter Gabriel-like costume. 

they are playing a few times near me in the new year, probably see one show

missed OtGW, sadly....

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

welcome aboard, you can go back a little before Foxtrot as well... :D

For sure... Trespass and In the Beginning are both excellent although the latter might not be for everyone. My personal cutoff for this band is Wind & Wuthering, everything after that might as well be another group.

• Like (+1) 1