1 very underrated band no one ever talks about

Phil The Thrill

Squeeze!  Yes that’s right, the UK band Squeeze.  I just found out about this group a few weeks ago and wow they are awesome.  So many of their songs are excellent.

The sad thing, is I’ve never heard of most of their bigger hit.  I did hear the song “Tempted” on a commercial but the rest were way before my time.  

Here’s a few good ones.  Anyone have any takes on Squeeze?

My 2nd ex-wife liked them, played one of their albums, it might of been a greatest hits.

Didn't care for them at first but said nothing, they grew on me though.

Remember liking "Pulling Mussels From a Shell". That song still gets stuck in my head.

Paul Carrack (and late Paul Young, Sad Cafe) teamed up and were in Mike + The Mechanics... Mike Rutherford of Genesis fame.

Carrack... The golden voice, was only 23 with "Ace" on 1974s:

With Mike + The Mechanics, 1988:

On the topic of "Paul Youngs"... A little more "Blue-Eyed Soul" with Paul Young... BUT... Not the same Paul Young that was with Sad Cafe and Mike + The Mechanics... He passed away young (pun intended) @ 53 in 2000.  Wow... Too many Pauls, and duplicate Youngs!

The other Paul Young (still living):

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

My 2nd ex-wife liked them, played one of their albums, it might of been a greatest hits.

Didn't care for them at first but said nothing, they grew on me though.

Remember liking "Pulling Mussels From a Shell". That song still gets stuck in my head.

How many ex-wives do you have Rooster?

@ExiledInIllinois

My dad is a huge Mike & The Mechanics fan so I grew up listening to them. I wasn't particularly enamoured with them when I was younger but, as I've got older, I've developed a real appreciation for the songs. I don't have a lot in common with my dad and we've never had the best relationship so maybe there's an emotional element to it.

Edited by Blokestradamus
  • Like (+1) 2

Good band of the UK New Wave movement of the 80s, Another Nail for my Heart and Pulling Mussels (From the Shell) were hits in Canada

Jools Holland is one of the best session piano-men ever

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, OZBILLS said:

HUM.

The greatest band of all time.

Their first album is also a masterpiece and their second album is pretty damn good too.

One Hit Wonder 90s bands that are actually really good:  Blind Melon, Hum, Seven Mary Three.  I don't think kyuss ever had a hit that I can remember, but they are way underrated too.

For older and younger folks not familiar:

Blind Melon - rock/blues mix.  Extremely talented guitar duo.  Shannon's voice isn't for everyone, but I love it.  Very self-reflective lyrics, many about addiction struggles.

Hum - one of the pioneers of Space/Stoner rock.  Not going to be for everyone, but if you have the desire to watch videos about space on youtube after smoking a J, this is the perfect background music.

Seven Mary Three - kind of similar to Blind Melon IMO.  Rock/blues and a touch of country sound in some of their subsequent albums.  Their one hit "Cumbersome" is basically the only song I don't like on that album.

Kyuss - Heavy stoner rock.  Queens of the Stone Age lead man is the guitarist.  If you want something to pump you up a bit, try this one.

Edited by Mark80

43 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Their first album is also a masterpiece and their second album is pretty damn good too.

One Hit Wonder 90s bands that are actually really good:  Blind Melon, Hum, Seven Mary Three.  I don't think kyuss ever had a hit that I can remember, but they are way underrated too.

Harvey Danger, My Bloody Valentine, dinosaur jr, Sebadoh, Stone Roses, Screaming Trees are a few other relatively obscure, 90’s one(or zero) hit wonders, that are great bands, who are much more than one hit wonders

Hum is excellent.  Satchel too

Edited by Pete

Just now, Pete said:

Harvey Danger, My Bloody Valentine, dinosaur jr, Sebadoh, Stone Roses, Screaming Trees are a few other 90’s one(or zero) hit wonders that are great bands, who are much more than one hit wonders

Dinosaur - best guitarist of the era, albums are hit or miss for me though.  I typically LOVE about 4 or 5 of the songs and pretty much hate the rest of them on every album I've heard of theirs.

Stone Roses - excellent first album, don't know the second one.

I'll have to give Harvey Danger and Screaming Trees a better listen, only really know main songs.

And don't even know My Bloody Valentine or Sebadoh.  But I've see your taste before on here which makes me think I'll need to check them out!

Just now, Mark80 said:

Dinosaur - best guitarist of the era, albums are hit or miss for me though.  I typically LOVE about 4 or 5 of the songs and pretty much hate the rest of them on every album I've heard of theirs.

Stone Roses - excellent first album, don't know the second one.

I'll have to give Harvey Danger and Screaming Trees a better listen, only really know main songs.

And don't even know My Bloody Valentine or Sebadoh.  But I've see your taste before on here which makes me think I'll need to check them out!

You have excellent taste in music(and football teams)