Bills @ Kap workout???

Cuboirs

I watched his interview on YouTube. I watched his workout. He threw the ball decent in shorts. It wasn't amazing, or eye opening, or anything like that. He was in the NFL at one point so I'd expect he would be able to look decent throwing the ball in shorts. He looks a bit out of shape though. His arm strength was never a problem when he was in the league. One of the knocks on him in SF was he lacked the necessary touch on the intermediate routes. Another knock on him was if you kept him locked in the pocket, not being able to use his legs, he could not beat you with his arm. Now he's older that athleticism surely begun to decline as well. Is he better than some backups in the league, maybe even a starter or two, probably. But honestly, who is going to invest in him at this point?

The venue situation. So an hour and a half before the workout CK says he's not doing it at the Atlanta facility, that he is switching it to a high school an hour or so away? PFT, Florio and his cronies, would have you believe it was due to the NFL trying to set Kaep up with a waiver. The truth is it was a standard waiver that anyone coming from college would have to sign to participate in the same type of workout. Then this morning Schefter reports it was due to Kaep not being able to have his own film crew in there. Whatever excuse he wants to use, he purposely cost himself today. I have no doubt it was intentional and it obviously alienated Hue Jackson along with 17 of the teams' representatives who were going to be at the Atlanta location. For someone saying he would do whatever to get back in the NFL, he sure doesn't act like it. He acts like a man who thinks he can assert dominance over someone he claims to be seeking employment from. That's not going to work out well for him, nor would it work out well for you and I if we tried the same in our own situations. 

Now I will get to what I took from his speech at the end. He didn't take any questions, but only made a statement. First off, I look at everything. I am totally observant and aware of everything when looking at things like this. Before I pressed play, before I even listened to a word he had to say, I looked at the still frame. He and his group looked more like militants at a rally than someone trying to interview for a job. After that I pressed play. He claimed something about transparency. What is that? There were still going to be media to report, there were going to be 3 times the amount of NFL reps there, there would have been a former NFL coach running the workout, and the workout was going to be filmed. What transparency is he talking about? To me he sounds like someone who wants to control everything and the light with which is portrayed at all costs. Then he talks about the people at the workout being "attacked" for the last 3 years and that they continue to be "attacked" even now. To me he is trying to assert himself as some kind of messiah, a leader that people are suffering wrongly for and he plays off of this. I relate it to someone trying to take a form almost that of Christ, talking about the suffering that his followers have and are facing. He, again presenting himself as the head of something, thanks them for their service, and for presenting the "truth" to others. What "truth" would that be? This would be the "truth" that he and his representation want to portray as the "truth" to all of those in attendance or would watch elsewhere. He then continues to play the victim card saying he showed everyone today why he should be in the NFL, but the people there "know why" he's not. Again, he has already treated these people as servants and thanks them for their service to his "truth", now he is projecting himself as a martyr. Then, with 8 teams' representatives present out of the possible 25 teams' representatives he could of been in front of, he begins to attack the same teams he claims to be looking for employment from. He tells them they all need to stop running from the "truth", his "truth" that he is a victim of an unjust treatment. He also tells them to stop "running from the people". Again, it is basic psychology with this statement. He has already asserted himself as some type of leader in the midst of being martyred, thanked people for bearing the suffering that has come with following him, and now he is building them back up by including them as those whom the NFL and the owners are running from, trying to puff them up, give them a sense of power, and justification. He then continues with the thanking and mentioning of the people there and not there, promising to keep them informed and included in everything that happens from that point forward. Again, building them up by giving them a sense of inclusion in everything going on. Then he throws out there the big "IF" quite intentionally, placing a distinct emphasis on that word. Again, he is posturing himself as a victim and trying to drive his "truth" home that he is being martyred. He finishes it off by saying "the ball is in their court" at the end and saying "we're ready to go". Again, the using of "we" is purposely done to give those who have been with him a sense of inclusion in all of this and puff them up once again with his final statement. After watching it multiple times I genuinely believe this whole thing is more about posteuring and appearances that it is actually football. He seems like he is intentionally trying to continue to drive the wedge between he and the NFL. 

Fact of the matter is neither he, nor any former player still young enough to play, are owed anything from any team in the NFL. It's a business and a job just like anything else. Companies can choose to hire whomever they want. It's a privilege to play in the NFL and not something owed or a right. He treats it like he is owed something, like he is better than the others who for whatever reason are not getting signed by the same NFL teams as well. The sad thing in all this now I TRULY doubt he ever gets another shot and now the story will continue to drag on in it's divisive nature. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Way less offensive and idiotic than some of his shirt choices... though I did see a tweet that explained the reference, and then showed a picture of Kaps mansion... kind of ironic.

There's nothing offensive whatsoever about the shirt. IMO it's more about situational awareness.  It's just another talking point that takes the focus off of the workout. He's supposedly being blackballed because of his actions regarding his political and social stances, and the distractions that they may bring. One would think that if he was interested in making the best impression (i.e. I'm here to play football and not create a circus), he would have avoided anything non football related. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

The eight teams that attended Colin Kaepernick’s workout Saturday in the Atlanta area:

KC
Jets
Philadelphia
Tennessee
Buffalo
SF
Washington
Detroit

per Shefter 

Good on the Bills. Gotta look at all available talent.

Boo ya!  Your next backup QB at OBD.   I will gladly take Kap on the team but knowing what Terry said at the owners meeting I think it’s very unlikely.  

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

There's nothing offensive whatsoever about the shirt. IMO it's more about situational awareness.  It's just another talking point that takes the focus off of the workout. He's supposedly being blackballed because of his actions regarding his political and social stances, and the distractions that they may bring. One would think that if he was interested in making the best impression (i.e. I'm here to play football and not create a circus), he would have avoided anything non football related. 

Maybe it’s just me but I think it’s hard to evaluate a player in non-game situations.  At these draft player workouts, most QB’s look great but then in game situations they are terrible.  

6 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

The eight teams that attended Colin Kaepernick’s workout Saturday in the Atlanta area:

KC
Jets
Philadelphia
Tennessee
Buffalo
SF
Washington
Detroit

per Shefter 

glad Bills Did attend the workout. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He probably could.  But Shady and others called it right.  In the NFL, it's your Talent/Headache ratio that matters.  If your talent is sky-high, you get more chances despite causing more headaches.  If you're a mid-lower tier talent guy, you need to Walk the Line.   Anyone think Fitzy still be employed if he went Kaep-like?  Mariota?  Tannehill?

The history of these threads on the board suggest that you are mistaken.

I can agree here.  I think that if Kaepernick was better more teams would be willing to put up with the polarization from the outside which follows him.  The fact that he was a bottom tier QB when he last played, makes me think the risk/reward isn’t there like it was for a Michael Vick years ago . 

Why risk a potential distraction and bad PR for a player who likes is a backup QB at best and may never see the field?

8 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Maybe it’s just me but I think it’s hard to evaluate a player in non-game situations.  At these draft player workouts, most QB’s look great but then in game situations they are terrible.  

I agree. I think this whole thing was sham. Regardless if he did wonderful or terrible,  I dont think it would have moved the needle far enough to change the opinions the scouts had going in.

what is that saying, all publicity is good publicity. As witnessed by a 15 page thread his antics ARE gaining he the attention he so covets and will only encourage he further to pull stunts like this. Of course he doesnt want to play any more he wants to embarrass the NFL AND himself at the same time..thats the way I see it. Shut the attention ***** down by ignoring his antics give him a big platform of ZERO attention he wants to continue to be relevant its OUR fault if we give him the attention he covets.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

IF they pick up that clown, then they're on the clock to get shipped out of town.

And rightly so.

Right because their fan base doesn’t care about the best product possible on the field and have some deep hatred for this guy. 

• Like (+1) 1