Top ten veteran FA bargains(3 bills make list)

Stank_Nasty

Kind of cool that 3 of the ten slots are filled by bills veterans! that's some seriously smart shopping!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001076677/article/jamie-collins-shaquil-barrett-among-top-free-agency-bargains

4) John Brown, WR, Buffalo Bills

Signed a three-year, $27 million contract in March 2019.

With 680 receiving yards so far, Brown has the most receiving yards for a Bills players in the first nine games of a season since Lee Evans posted 700 in 2008. He's also already outpaced any Bills player from Josh Allen's rookie 2018 season, providing a real value to the team as the quarterback continues to develop. Brown's injury history with the Cardinals -- he missed five games in 2017, his final season in Arizona -- explains why he was available at such an attractive rate after spending 2018 with the Ravens.

7) Frank Gore, RB, Buffalo Bills

Signed a one-year, $2 million contract in March 2019.

The amazing Gore is providing legitimate production as a 36-year-old running back, picking up 4.0 yards per carry with two scores this season, while also serving as a team leader in terms of preparedness and off-field success. His relatively modest compensation speaks as much to how teams tend to view the running back position as anything. With 15,197 career rushing yards, Gore is on the verge of passing Barry Sanders (15,269) for No. 3 on the all-time list, behind Emmitt Smith (18,355) and Walter Payton (16,726), and is surely headed for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. If Gore plays long enough, he even has an outside chance of passing Payton

10) Lorenzo Alexander, LB, Buffalo Bills

Signed a one-year contract worth a maximum of $4.55 million in January 2019.

Credit ex-Buffalo bosses Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley for seeing Alexander as more than just a backup and special-teams standout after 11 NFL seasons playing that role. Alexander excelled in Ryan's 3-4 scheme in 2016, earning a Pro Bowl nod, and has since displayed the versatility to adjust to current Bills coach Sean McDermott's 4-3 defense. He's a veteran role model on pace for 67 tackles while serving as a key rotation player on one of the NFL's top defenses.

• Like (+1) 4

21 hours ago, Steve O said:

There is an NFL rule that #1 on all lists must be Patriots. This one is no different.

1) Jamie Collins, LB, New England Patriots

Is it not amazing that Patriot players seem to excel with the Patriots but rarely with other teams?

Kind of like their assistant coaches and personnel people...

Brown and Beasley are great signings. I pike on Beane a lot but these two moves have turned out great. Decent money, young, should help for a few more years and still can add a true #1 WR later. Odd that Gore made the list. Bad signing. Should never have cut McCoy.  Feliciano and Spain were good deals for the dollars. Morse has played ok but not top paid center level, not even close.

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Is it not amazing that Patriot players seem to excel with the Patriots but rarely with other teams?

Has a lot to do with the QB and the (defensive minded ) HC. Throw in McDaniels ( underrated) and that’s why. No mystery to it. 

We signed a few average players as FA's this past offseason, but most of them are depth guys. The right side of our OL still needs an overhaul unless Ford can come around. Right now he's not even a backup caliber player. Morse is just above average, but paid like an all pro. Spain and Dawkins are as average as they come. Feliciano is a backup caliber player. T Murphy is also very average. Star is a backup caliber player. None of the players we signed this past offseason are anywhere near probowl caliber -- not even close. Sure we saved money. That's what happens when you sign mediocre talent.

33 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

He's a good backup. He shouldn't be starting. What makes you think he's great?

Well I'm just saying the value he has provided is much more than his salary. 

He has been a solid RG . Not great or elite but a clear starter that has been consistent and dependable and we're paying him the vet minimum? Great value.

On 11/15/2019 at 3:49 PM, GreggTX said:

We signed a few average players as FA's this past offseason, but most of them are depth guys. The right side of our OL still needs an overhaul unless Ford can come around. Right now he's not even a backup caliber player. Morse is just above average, but paid like an all pro. Spain and Dawkins are as average as they come. Feliciano is a backup caliber player. T Murphy is also very average. Star is a backup caliber player. None of the players we signed this past offseason are anywhere near probowl caliber -- not even close. Sure we saved money. That's what happens when you sign mediocre talent.

Disagree completely on our OL, our running backs are highly productive and Allen has had pockets to throw in more often than not. I think Allen’s nerves need to settle down a bit and our receivers need to do their jobs.

Morse can be very good, although he could be bad if his injury history bites us in the ass. He’s a better center than Eric Wood was. 

Feliciano is a guy I like a lot. It would be wise to add a few years onto his existing contract with new money.

Dawkins is an average LT and I wouldn’t want to pay him big money but for a guy on his rookie contract he’s adequate.

Overall I think our OL is extremely talented. Once again I think our receivers need to get open and our line will look better. Spain, Ford and Nsekhe are average but I think Ford would be a great LG. Could use a stalwart at RT but overall not bad.

On 11/15/2019 at 2:51 PM, matter2003 said:

More evidence of their cheating if you ask me

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/14/2019 at 2:16 PM, VirginiaMike said:

The best part of this is that both Alexander and Gore were signed to 1 year contracts.  I don't see either coming back next year (possible for Alexander, but we need some youth there) and it's great that we are not committed for multiple years.  

I agree both will be gone,  but Jordon has to be extended. Smoke has been solid. Gore started great out of the box but these last few games he's looked old. Lorax has been solid but nothing like 2016. Jordan has simply been our best DT all year while we cautiously wait for Ed to develop.