Per Reports: Owners and NFLPA close to agreement on 14 playoff teams. How do you think they do seeding

MAJBobby

22 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

14 teams is just too many. It'll be like the NBA.

I don't follow the NBA at all, but I personally LOVE the first round of the NHL playoffs every year.

You have 2 or 3 games a night, every night, and some of the fiercest play comes in that first series, b/c it is kind of the entire playoffs for weaker teams so they play all out as that 1 series is going to be their entire playoffs.

In a football context, I'm afraid there will be a lot of crappy first round games where 1 team is much better than the other and easily wins, and the game becomes a formality.  But there will also be a few upsets now and again I'm sure, which would spice things up.

It would also mean franchises like the Buffalo Bills will get to see more playoff action, which has to be a good thing.

Been waiting for this. Over half the teams in the NBA make the playoffs and 50% of them do in the NHL. This will be less than 50%. And only teams with the best record in each conference gets a first round bye.

On 11/14/2019 at 3:22 PM, dneveu said:

I'd do division leaders tbh - gives a division title some sort of meaning - you get a home playoff game.  

Wonder how they'll do tv schedule wildcard weekend with 6 games. I assume you have 2 1 PM and 430 PM games - then do you have sat and sun night? Sun and monday?  

For playoff WC weekend

sat and sun games 1 430 and 8

saturday night expn

sunday night nbc

others on cbs/fox

On 11/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, Mark Vader said:

14 teams in the playoffs? Lame! But it's all about money.

That playoff seeding example is awful. Only the #1 seed gets the bye?

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't like the #1 seed only getting the bye.

I'd rather have it like it is now (2 teams getting the bye) or just go with a 16 team playoff and no byes....division winners get home field advantage.

• Like (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

------------------------------------------

As I understand it, the NFLPA contests that they've agreed to anything of the sort

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

------------------------------------------

As I understand it, the NFLPA contests that they've agreed to anything of the sort

changed to Per Reports because there are multiple reports saying otherwise 

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Per Reports: Owners and NFLPA close to agreement on 14 playoff teams. How do you think they do seeding
On 11/15/2019 at 2:14 PM, MJS said:

I want to throw up. People happy now? We'll have an 8-8 team in the playoffs every other year now.

how can you say this as a Bills fan lol. this is great news. 

the NFL season is absurdly short. playoffs should have been expanded a decade ago. 

27 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

what a truly awful idea. There's a lot of years where the 6th seed doesn't even deserve to be there. More injuries, likely lower quality of on-field product, and ruining the record books. All for what? A few a extra bucks. I guess that's America.

4 teams since 2000 have won the super bowl as the wild card team. 4 in 19 years. 

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

what a truly awful idea. There's a lot of years where the 6th seed doesn't even deserve to be there. More injuries, likely lower quality of on-field product, and ruining the record books. All for what? A few a extra bucks. I guess that's America.

This is already a QB driven league without enough good ones. Adding more playoffs teams basically means we’d consistently get to see the Trubisky’s of the world in playoffs. Count me out,  I’ll start watching after the wild card round. 

Perfect time to get rid of divisions then. Make one AFC and NFC conference, every team plays everyone in their conference.  Expand the league to 34 teams and the only way you see the NFC is in the SB.

Best team in each conference gets 1st rd bye. 

It's prob the fairest setup you could see in the league when you have a team like the Pats owning a division for almost 15 years getting a ticket to the SB every other year.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/14/2019 at 3:24 PM, jwhit34 said:

The top record would get a bye and the 3 other division winners would host the playoff games vs. the 3 wild cards. The league will want to preserve the value of winning the division. 

That's the most sensible approach.  They can cut the number of remaining teams to 4 in each division the first week of the playoffs then hold quarterfinals the next week, semis the following week and conference finals the fourth week.  

1 hour ago, Tesla03 said:

how can you say this as a Bills fan lol. this is great news. 

the NFL season is absurdly short. playoffs should have been expanded a decade ago. 

Because I don't want to see diluted playoff football and I don't think want the NFL to turn into other sports that let half their teams in.

• Like (+1) 2