Per Reports: Owners and NFLPA close to agreement on 14 playoff teams. How do you think they do seeding

MAJBobby

13 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

14 teams in the playoffs? Lame! But it's all about money.

That playoff seeding example is awful. Only the #1 seed gets the bye?

14 teams in the playoffs may be lame, but the current setup with an off week for the best teams is also lame.

The Super Bowl is easily the easiest championship to win among the 4 major sports in N. America.  The path to the championship game is awfully short. 

I'm all in favor of making it a longer, harder, more entertaining process.

This sucks if true.  I love the playoff format the way it is now with the exception of not seeding the teams by their record (division winners should make it but not guaranteed a home game).  Six out of 16 teams is the perfect ratio as it preserves the importance of the regular season while still allowing for a playoff cinderella story.  It also rewards the two best teams in the conference with first round byes further emphasizing the importance of the regular season.  Of course the NFL will ruin it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I do not see how the league makes money adding one playoff game per conference and eliminating 16 (or 32) preseason games including parking, concessions and sales in shop.

they are also getting a 17 game regular season slate with elimination of that preseason game 

11 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

This scenario has been floated by MTC on NFLR for two years.  It makes sense and less preseason is a great thing.  The league and the NFLPA both win.  More $ for both sides.  I wonder if they get a second bye as a concession.  That would make players happy.

Kirwan and Mills made the case that the last six years as of last year the #7 wild card seed wood have a 9-7 or better record.  The division winner will never change and there is always the possibility a division winner has a worse record like Seattle several years ago.

Sounds like a good negotiation.

maybe expanded Rosters as well

16 hours ago, dneveu said:

Can't blame them... each team only plays 16 games which is by far the lowest.  

Yankee stadium seats 47,000 - if they make the playoffs, they'll play a max of 11 home games.  The patriots finish with the best record and they get 2.

Ticket revenue is such a small part of the pie, I really don't think the owners care that much about that. I mean sure, they'll take the extra money.... but they make WAY more from TV.

NFL vs MLB: Revenue

Which league makes more money, NFL or MLB?

Since there are only 256 regular-season NFL games each year and 2,430 yearly MLB matchups, you’d think that the bigger overall revenue stream would go to baseball.

But it doesn’t.

Last season, the NFL made $14 billion in total revenue, which was over $900 million more than they made the season before and a $6 billion increase from 2010.

The MLB, on the other hand, made $9.46 billion in revenue last season, up 4.8% from the prior season when they made a total of $9.03 billion.

NFL teams average more revenue, as well.

NFL sponsorship revenue reached $1.32 billion in the 2017-18 season, with beer, trucks and fast food being among the largest spenders.

MLB sponsorship revenue was $892 million in the 2017 season, which was a 7.9 percent increase from the previous year when they made $827 million.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

In a league where player safety is harped I don't understand how NFL even considers a bye week a team. Teams in other conferences and divisions don't play the same team and the schedule can be skewed.  For a sport as physically demanding as football as, that extra week off is huge to let players rest.  Having the home field advantage throughout the playoffs should be adequate reward for having best record. 

34 minutes ago, BfloBillsFan said:

In a league where player safety is harped I don't understand how NFL even considers a bye week a team. Teams in other conferences and divisions don't play the same team and the schedule can be skewed.  For a sport as physically demanding as football as, that extra week off is huge to let players rest.  Having the home field advantage throughout the playoffs should be adequate reward for having best record. 

I think eventually they go to 16 team playoff slate once expansion occurs and they move to an 18 game regular season. Too much to try and bit off this CBA so instead add another team in each conference and a 17 game slate. 

15 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think they should just do away with divisions all together. Just do a 16 team afc 16 team nfc. You play everyone in your own conference once so every tiebreaker can go head to head and then if they go 17 game season, you play 2 out of conference games every year that go on rotation. Then the playoffs the top seed gets a bye and plays the winner of that 4vs5 game

I agree get rid of divisions. But no way just play your own conference.That would be awful. Need more out of conference games not less.

Eliminating the bye for the #2 seed will probably result in a lot more #1 seeds making the Super Bowl.

Regardless, here's what I would do:

Division winners and WCs are decided same as today, and those are your 7 teams 

#1 seed gets bye and home field

Seeding for the rest of the playoff field is decided by record.

Makes it hard to perceive the sport in any serious way when nearly half the league goes to the playoffs. What’s next, 16 teams make the playoffs, what’s next after that, 20 teams make the playoffs. Everyone gets a star ️ I guess it’s a way to get the Bills into the post season most every year....

22 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

14 teams in the playoffs? Lame! But it's all about money.

That playoff seeding example is awful. Only the #1 seed gets the bye?

Might as well go for 16 and have a true 8 team double ladder.

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

14 teams in the playoffs may be lame, but the current setup with an off week for the best teams is also lame.

The Super Bowl is easily the easiest championship to win among the 4 major sports in N. America.  The path to the championship game is awfully short. 

I'm all in favor of making it a longer, harder, more entertaining process.

14 teams is just too many. It'll be like the NBA.

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

While it has the shortest path (possible by week, maximum 4 games required to win the tournament ) , it may not be the easiest to win.Only 7 MLB franchises have not won a World Series. That’s the fewest of all the major sports. 12 NFL franchises have yet to hoist the Lombardi at season’s end. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

14 in the playoffs is still not half, but 43.7%.  This was the real goal all along with the NFL owners to ask and put out there 18 game regular season so the NFLPA would feel like they won something by settling 17 games, and 2 extra wildcard games.

Im not saying I want it or not, I’m just saying I expected it.  I can’t stand four preseason games so 17 and only 2 preseason games, if that is what they decide will have it’s finer points. As well as some competitive practices so each team can properly evaluate their players for the final 53.

As mentioned earlier, I think a proper concession is to dress all 53, and increase the practice squad by two.  A second bye would be a concession, but the NFL is sensitive to how long the season and playoffs take.  There are merits to either side.  I want the players to make more $, as well as the owners.

The issue not really addressed is what to do about cutting older decent players because of salary minimums for vets vs. taking on more young players.  I’m proud of Beane and McD keeping Lorax and Gore although the % of runs to Gore vs. Singletary needs to be flipped.  That is a separate issue, and really don’t know what either side can do to retain the role veteran players who can still contribute.   Maybe all ow the player to voluntarily take less than the respective minimum if they so choose to keep playing.  I don’t know and happy to hear ideas.  I know this about the initial topic, but this a growing problem for these 30 year old guys who can still play.

I love the idea of only one playoff bye per conference, although my preference would be no byes whatsoever.

I'm excited about an extra game, probably at a neutral site, for each team.

Really nice to hear they're making such good progress so we avoid the thought of a strike.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:22 PM, dneveu said:

I'd do division leaders tbh - gives a division title some sort of meaning - you get a home playoff game.  

Wonder how they'll do tv schedule wildcard weekend with 6 games. I assume you have 2 1 PM and 430 PM games - then do you have sat and sun night? Sun and monday?  

Division leaders at home and 1-4-7

21 hours ago, MJS said:

I want to throw up. People happy now? We'll have an 8-8 team in the playoffs every other year now.

seems dramatic even if we do

On 11/14/2019 at 7:29 PM, Limeaid said:

I do not see how the league makes money adding one playoff game per conference and eliminating 16 (or 32) preseason games including parking, concessions and sales in shop.

they keep the season ticket price the same, and sell tv rights for those two games for more than the entire preseason value?

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

they keep the season ticket price the same, and sell tv rights for those two games for more than the entire preseason value?

Doubt it since some teams (not Bills) sell out even preseason games or have so many season tickets non-sold tickets are a drop in the bucket.

However I have been told that smaller domed stadium with PSLs and no place to tailgate will bring Bills income to par.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Doubt it since some teams (not Bills) sell out even preseason games or have so many season tickets non-sold tickets are a drop in the bucket.

However I have been told that smaller domed stadium with PSLs and no place to tailgate will bring Bills income to par.

only teams selling out preseason games are either 100% season tix (even dropping preseason teams will keep the package price the same) or running incredibly absurd specials and giving away tickets galore. And the money isn’t in ticket sales but tv rights. I venture NBC would spend more in these 2 games than 20 preseason games