Per Reports: Owners and NFLPA close to agreement on 14 playoff teams. How do you think they do seeding

MAJBobby

58 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

Nailed it imo

I think doing that allows for all three Networks to get a playoff game over WC weekend. 

NFC on Saturday 

AFC on Sunday

maybe the Lowest seeded game be the 1 o’clock 

so like the

#4 v #5 at 1pm. 
#3 v #6 at 4pm

#2 v #7 at 7:30pm

ramp up to the top seeded team in Primetime (#2 seed doesn’t get the Bye but they get the WC weekend Primetime game). 

55 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think they should just do away with divisions all together. Just do a 16 team afc 16 team nfc. You play everyone in your own conference once so every tiebreaker can go head to head and then if they go 17 game season, you play 2 out of conference games every year that go on rotation. Then the playoffs the top seed gets a bye and plays the winner of that 4vs5 game

I could get that. 17 game slate 

Conference get everyone once (15 games)

2 out of Conference games (those can be your international games). 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

This scenario has been floated by MTC on NFLR for two years.  It makes sense and less preseason is a great thing.  The league and the NFLPA both win.  More $ for both sides.  I wonder if they get a second bye as a concession.  That would make players happy.

Kirwan and Mills made the case that the last six years as of last year the #7 wild card seed wood have a 9-7 or better record.  The division winner will never change and there is always the possibility a division winner has a worse record like Seattle several years ago.

Sounds like a good negotiation.

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

This scenario has been floated by MTC on NFLR for two years.  It makes sense and less preseason is a great thing.  The league and the NFLPA both win.  More $ for both sides.  I wonder if they get a second bye as a concession.  That would make players happy.

Kirwan and Mills made the case that the last six years as of last year the #7 wild card seed wood have a 9-7 or better record.  The division winner will never change and there is always the possibility a division winner has a worse record like Seattle several years ago.

Sounds like a good negotiation.

I do not see how the league makes money adding one playoff game per conference and eliminating 16 (or 32) preseason games including parking, concessions and sales in shop.

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

14 teams in the playoffs? Lame! But it's all about money.

That playoff seeding example is awful. Only the #1 seed gets the bye?

That is the only way given those numbers and that severely weights the outcome. The theoretical strongest team getting a bye....

9 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

The top record would get a bye and the 3 other division winners would host the playoff games vs. the 3 wild cards. The league will want to preserve the value of winning the division. 

This ^^ The NFL will not seed a WC ahead of a division winner in any circumstance. So much of the season structure revolves around division play, they won’t diminish it through seeding. 

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I do not see how the league makes money adding one playoff game per conference and eliminating 16 (or 32) preseason games including parking, concessions and sales in shop.

If it wasn’t going to make money, and a lot of it at that, it wouldn’t even be considered. 

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Limeaid, I’m stating the TV revenue will increase significantly and even stadium attendance goes up with real games vs. pre-season where it is almost nothing for preseason games, except for season ticket holders.  It depends how many preseason games they cut.  

The other consideration is these sixteen extra regular season games in neutral sites increases the potential NFL fan base.  I can see games in Mexico City, San Antonio, Birmingham, Toronto, London of course, but possible a city in Germany.  Remember in NFL Europe the highest attendance for those games came out of German cities.

China and Japan is tough given the distance, but I can see the NFL trying to push for it.  My speculation is they will look at only two preseason games and more competitive practices throughout the league.