Where are the Splash plays??

Tatonka68

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

The ESPN Primetime splash plays have been missing most of the year. The long TD bomb, INT returns, Strip sacks, long TD runs?? As we see it these are not needed to win, but please??? I think this week we get them in Miami. I expect Allen to connect with a long TD bomb to either Foster or Brown. I expect some on defense to snag a pass and take it back for 6. I expect Hughes to show up and strip sack Fitz, I expect Motor to rip off long runs. Lets take it to the next level please. Buffalo 31 Miami 14.

And then carry this on for the rest of the Season, Kindergarten is over. Time to put on grown up pants.

I posted one pretty durn splashy play from Tre White in the "I just want to watch this again...and again" thread.

There's the Tre White interception of Fitz vs Mia

That Amazeballs Poyer ballet move to come down with the onside kick vs Mia

There was the JuggerKnox play

Sweet 51 yd pass (42 air yards) to Beasley against the Giants

That's all that come to mind right now but I know I'm not thinking of some that I've seen right now.

I guess it depends upon your definition of "splash play"

I don't agree with the implication that "grown up pants" = Splashy highlight film plays

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Yeah how dare they not call a forward pass a fumble 

Yeah.. that's a tough one, that word "forward," it has such an ambiguous definition, right?? Like did it go forward or did it not?! 

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

My point is, the answer to the Bills problems is not more strip sacks.  Sure those are nice, but 'splash' plays come and go and are often based on luck.  Winning teams more frequently get that way through consistent, efficient, mistake-free play.   CJ Spiller and Sammy Watkins are great examples of guys who provided splash plays but were ultimately not reliably consistent players.

Im talking one or 2 a game that can change the tide- not just strip sacks. Sound football on all 3 sides plus momentum changing plays are huge- we just don’t do that. Different opinions thats all ?

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He can throw all the bombs he wants, but until he increases the trajectory,  it won't matter. Drop the damn ball into the basket. Give your wr a chance. Stop throwing these flat missiles.....

I'm not seeing that on the long passes.  If it's a missile, they can grab it when it goes by.  He's just overthrowing guys because he's being coached not to throw picks. 

Edited by Tenhigh

14 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Yeah.. that's a tough one, that word "forward," it has such an ambiguous definition, right?? Like did it go forward or did it not?! 

Exactly. The issue escalates further when referees make different calls on the same play(was a fumble last year when bills did this same play and the ball was dropped.) When you watch it in slow motion you can not see if the ball went fw or not, and the call on the field was fumble, so there was not conclusive evidence to over turn the call. Should have stayed a fumble. I get that the design of the play is to be a shovel pass, which mean the ball is tossed forward to the man in motion, but in this case it was not..

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He can throw all the bombs he wants, but until he increases the trajectory,  it won't matter. Drop the damn ball into the basket. Give your wr a chance. Stop throwing these flat missiles.....

For a second I thought we were talking about the Palestinians 

13 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

When you do not hit long balls, make spectacular catches, take a run 80 plus yards, return a punt for a TD, hit a super long field goal, have a pick six etc you haven’t given media outlets anything to work with.  This sums up the boring brand of football we are seeing.

Winning is anything but boring IMHO.

To big of a chance for a negative result, so splash plays are out. ?

The only players on our roster capable of big plays are John Brown and devin Singletary. Singletary isn't being used very well and Brown doesn't have a QB that can get him the ball on deep patterns.

That said, there is entirely too much focus on highlight reel plays and not enough on winning. The brand of football we are watching today is just not as good as it used to be.

Edited by GreggTX