Media taking notice: Fitzpatrick ruining Phins Tank

18 hours ago, jrober38 said:

There will be a couple good QBs and they have 3 first round draft picks.

Winning games and establishing the right culture is more important at this point than tanking.

LOL.  

Culture is meaningless.  Having a QB who can play is everything.  Well, almost everything.  

I’m not sure how important drafting #1 overall even is when trying to acquire a QB. 

When i I look at the better QBs in the NFL right now, how many were top 3 picks?

And how many were drafted at #10 or later in the draft? 

Seems like the majority of good QB currently playing came from somewhere outside the top of the draft. 

21 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Hope they win just enough to miss out on the top qbs

Where in the draft would that be exactly???

Tom Brady was taken in the sixth round in 2000.

Drew Brees was a second rounder (he would have been a late first rounder after the league expanded to 32 teams) in 2001.

Ben Roethlisberger was taken at #11 in 2004.

Aaron Rodgers was taken at #24 in 2005.

Russell Wilson was taken in the third round in 2012.

Derek Carr and Jimmy Garoppolo were both taken in the second round in 2014.

Dak Prescott in the fourth round in 2016.

Patrick Mahomes was taken #10 and DeShaun Watson #12 in 2017.

Lamar Jackson was taken #32 in 2018.

That's  a quarter of the starting QBs --  all of them are quality starters -- who were drafted at #10 or worse. 

Add in supersubs Teddy Bridgewater who was taken #32 in 2014 (who was a starter in Minnesota before a near-career ending injury), Jacoby Brissett who was taken in the third round in 2016 and has played well for the Colts, and UDFA Kyle Allen in Carolina.

Meanwhile, 2014's #3 pick Blake Bortles is a backup; 2015's #1 and #2 picks, Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, are likely done as starters; and 2017's #3 pick Mitch Trubisky is struggling.   None of the 2018 first round QBs taken before Lamar Jackson -- including #1 pick Baker Mayfield -- have played even half as well.

A team doesn't have to tank to get a good QB.  They have to be able to recognize talent and be bold enough to grab it when it falls into their laps. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Idk about that. How much of a different culture is it really? That big of a difference between 3-13 and 1-15? Other than losing the draft position. And does Miami even have anyone left they care about keeping? These guys are backups on most other NFL teams. 

The Dolphins are the least penalized team in the NFL, Top 5 in missed tackles percentage o defense (sounds bad but it's in the good way) , and the staff is getting the most of fringe players and underused talent (Gesicki & Devante Parker on offense and Eric Rowe & Taco Charlton on defense specifically). Flores and the staff installed a system consisting of mostly practice squad players and guys off the street and the team looks better every week; imagine what they do when there is a QB, run game, and adequate talent on defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Idk about that. How much of a different culture is it really? That big of a difference between 3-13 and 1-15? Other than losing the draft position. And does Miami even have anyone left they care about keeping? These guys are backups on most other NFL teams. 

Potential FA see what he is doing with THAT team and will give them more of a look this off season. Also doesn’t hurt it is south beach...  people forget almost everyone was in agreement that this was the worst team ever assembled in the NFL.  Now think of this they were leading in 3 games late and lost so if they had won.. they be in Playoff contention!!  Flores is looking like a Coach of the year candidate right now lol..

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

So starting Fitz and all this talk about tanking for a QB implies that they have given up on Rosen?

Maybe this is common news and I’m out of touch. 

Oh no, no, no... That can't be true. I read it right here, on this board, that we got the wrong Josh. Whiffing on The Rosen One has #doomed this franchise. Humans are made of scotch, and there is life on Venus... Okay... Maybe the Venus part was a stretch, but the rest is all absolutely true, I guarantee ?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Oh no, no, no... That can't be true. I read it right here, on this board, that we got the wrong Josh. Whiffing on The Rosen One has #doomed this franchise. Humans are made of scotch, and there is life on Venus... Okay... Maybe the Venus part was a stretch, but the rest is all absolutely true, I guarantee ?

Some people are more likely made of vodka, Genesee beer or Stromboli.  I know during certain period of college I was likely 1/5 vodka since I typically drank a 1/5 every night.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick has career earnings of close to $60M......think about that for a moment....

I pointed that out in a thread around the time of our first game!  It is truly amazing.

The NHL has been ruined by this phenomenon now.

There are entire segments of players now who can remain in the league for entire careers despite being average to below average the entire time, and retiring as multi-multi-millionaires. 

It's nuts.

10 hours ago, london_bills said:

That wouldn't shock me if it happened. 

People talk about this all the time.  I don't get it.  They have coaches for teaching people how to play football.

Why does a fellow player have to be a mentor? 

I would argue a young QB isn't going to learn much from a veteran backup, except maybe how not to play.

The intangible, peripheral types of lessons all players need to learn (how to relate to the press, how to stay even keel after a win or loss, the right way to do things, show up on time for meetings, etc.) can be learned from the veterans at other positions already on the team.

Don't need a veteran at the same position for that stuff.

• Like (+1) 1