Driving for Uber/Lyft

Captain Hindsight

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I love when you get all worked up and start spouting nonsensical crap.  Yeah, ***** old cabs being driven by some guy who can't read the road signs in English was not only super safe (oh wait...never mind, he had a placard, the ultimate guarantee of safety!!), but also such a glorious example of equality and the brotherhood of all working men!  :lol:    And how dare I "pollute the world" by getting a ride in some guy's brand new Prius vs some giant, 20 year old, yellow rust bucket!

I am not all worked up.  I am being sarcastic.  We are always trying to invent a better way which usually in the end turns out worse, puts more burden on the system.  All in the name of one's personal convenience.  I just find bit hypocritical.

You obviously trust the independent contractor more.  I don't. 

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and people gaming the system.  You got yours, that's all that matters.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The footprint on a new car is worse than keeping an old one running.  Even an old one with worse gas mileage.

Roads are funded/maintained by mpg.  Less mpg = better, smoother roads.  I think the threshold is in the low 20mpg range.  

Everybody getting 50mpg, the roads & bridges become crap.  My 15mpg vehicle will have to pick up slack... Even though the Prius' are wearing down the infrastructure at same rate.

Ask @Seasons1992 he was with me on my last Uber Drive in Nashville.  Lady (name held private) from Moldova. LoL... Both of us were gabbing a mile a minute... Season's was in back chilling in awe.  She crossed the double yellow line once... Had oncoming traffic give the toot of the angry horn... I brushed it off and continued yapping away!  LoL... She did too... Great gal!  Someday she'll make enough to go back home.  That's her dream.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am not all worked up.  I am being sarcastic.  We are always trying to invent a better way which usually in the end turns out worse, puts more burden on the system.  All in the name of one's personal convenience.  I just find bit hypocritical.

You obviously trust the independent contractor more.  I don't. 

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and people gaming the system.  You got yours, that's all that matters.

Except in this case someone actually did invent a better way.  A much better way.  Giving people access to and options for mobility they didn't have before.  It's not putting any more burden on the system to get an Uber to the airport instead of making my wife drive me.  More jobs, more commerce, improving life for people, isn't that the idea?

And yeah, I trust individuals who work for themselves.  I certainly trust a guy driving his own car, who if he doesn't keep it clean and maintained and who if he doesn't provide good service, will be canned almost immediately as a result of a direct customer feedback, far more than I trust God-know-who they get to drive the late shift at some sleazy cab company, or the owner of the sleazy cab company.

20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The footprint on a new car is worse than keeping an old one running.  Even an old one with worse gas mileage.

Roads are funded/maintained by mpg.  Less mpg = better, smoother roads.  I think the threshold is in the low 20mpg range.  

Everybody getting 50mpg, the roads & bridges become crap.  My 15mpg vehicle will have to pick up slack... Even though the Prius' are wearing down the infrastructure at same rate.

So now fuel efficient vehicles are a bad thing?   I guess you're off that whole 'global warming' crap, huh?  ;)

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Except in this case someone actually did invent a better way.  A much better way.  Giving people access to and options for mobility they didn't have before.  It's not putting any more burden on the system to get an Uber to the airport instead of making my wife drive me.  More jobs, more commerce, improving life for people, isn't that the idea?

And yeah, I trust individuals who work for themselves.  I certainly trust a guy driving his own car, who if he doesn't keep it clean and maintained and who if he doesn't provide good service, will be canned almost immediately as a result of a direct customer feedback, far more than I trust God-know-who they get to drive the late shift at some sleazy cab company, or the owner of the sleazy cab company.

So now fuel efficient vehicles are a bad thing?   I guess you're off that whole 'global warming' crap, huh?  ;)

I was never on the GW crap.  Not denying it, just I ain't gonna fix a political game by swapping things out for bigger headaches.

Once again, the game is bigger, faster, stronger... That doesn't equate to "better." 

On 11/14/2019 at 9:03 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

My family has had some unforeseen expenses that are going to require some extra income for a few months so I've been trying to find some side gigs. I work as an engineer so my days are pretty full and its our busy time of year so I'm not sure I could meet the demands (hours) of a traditional retail job. That leaves Uber/Lyft. I've taken these plenty of times, but I don't know anyone that has driven for Uber. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth getting into?

a little ot but...you might want to try DoorDash and/or GrubHub. my bro works them and says the pay on average, is much better. plus, you don't have to worry about what someone may do inside your vehicle.

Edited by Foxx

Just now, Foxx said:

you might want to try Door Dash and/or GurbHub. my bro works them and says the pay on average, is much better. plus, you don't have to worry about what someone may do inside your vehicle.

Except... If you turn too fast and spill the SuperSized soda being delivered to the carless, lazy fat azz down the street.  It's on you.

?

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Except... If you turn too fast and spill the SuperSized soda being delivered to the carless, lazy fat azz down the street.  It's on you.

?

just the latest sjw crusade... in this thread.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Foxx
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

This is a great point. Drivers are held to a standard. A little too subjective in my mind but it's at least a standard. Customer satisfaction.  If you don't score a 4.85 on the star scale, you may as well look for another job. I'm at a 4.88 because 7 drivers out of 500 decided I was worthy of 1 star. 

This is coming from a customer base who can't bother to be ready when you arrive, even though they know the exact minute you show up. They also blame the drivers for the apps ***** GPS functionality.  Many riders are too lazy to type in their exact address, so you'll end up at the neighbors because lazy ass couldn't be bother to use anything other than GPS location even though it's two houses down from the pick up. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

This is a great point. Drivers are held to a standard. A little too subjective in my mind but it's at least a standard. Customer satisfaction.  If you don't score a 4.85 on the star scale, you may as well look for another job. I'm at a 4.88 because 7 drivers out of 500 decided I was worthy of 1 star. 

This is coming from a customer base who can't bother to be ready when you arrive, even though they know the exact minute you show up. They also blame the drivers for the apps ***** GPS functionality.  Many riders are too lazy to type in their exact address, so you'll end up at the neighbors because lazy ass couldn't be bother to use anything other than GPS location even though it's two houses down from the pick up. 

Agreed that crowd rating comes with some risk, but law of large numbers mostly override it.  4.88 is pretty solid in my book.  My rider rating is around 4.8, so likely I wasn't chatty enough for a couple drivers!

Never occurred to me that people wouldn't bother to make it easy for the driver on pick up....uh....you are there for ME.  I'm the guy who figures out which direction the car is coming from so I can cross the street and be in the right spot to wave him down.  And yeah, the GPS is not great.

Hundreds of rides and I've still not encountered a rude or difficult driver, never come close to feeling unsafe (compared to some of the nightmare rides I had from private limo companies back in New York).

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I was never on the GW crap.  Not denying it, just I ain't gonna fix a political game by swapping things out for bigger headaches.

Once again, the game is bigger, faster, stronger... That doesn't equate to "better." 

In this case, it clearly does.

Uber home from the bar instead of driving drunk

Uber home from the airport instead of my wife driving to the airport at 11pm to get me and having to leave our kids alone for two hours

Uber for people in areas with little or no cab business

Uber to a doctor appt for someone who doesn't own a car (oh look....benefits for the poor!), instead of relying some the local cab monopoly to decide if they're going to bother to show up 45 minutes late, or at all.

I don't really see the downside in people having the ability to get where they need to be reliably.

And I don't know for sure but would guess the original (and truly unregulated rideshare business, aka gypsy cabs), has been put almost completely out of business.

• Like (+1) 3