Driving for Uber/Lyft

Captain Hindsight

My family has had some unforeseen expenses that are going to require some extra income for a few months so I've been trying to find some side gigs. I work as an engineer so my days are pretty full and its our busy time of year so I'm not sure I could meet the demands (hours) of a traditional retail job. That leaves Uber/Lyft. I've taken these plenty of times, but I don't know anyone that has driven for Uber. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth getting into?

10 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

My family has had some unforeseen expenses that are going to require some extra income for a few months so I've been trying to find some side gigs. I work as an engineer so my days are pretty full and its our busy time of year so I'm not sure I could meet the demands (hours) of a traditional retail job. That leaves Uber/Lyft. I've taken these plenty of times, but I don't know anyone that has driven for Uber. 

Your an engineer? Lower your ethics/standards and become a 'stamp for hire', lol

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I drove for a little bit and have two friends that do it for a living.

It can definitely make money but there’s certain times of the day you have to do it. 6am-10am then 4pm-7pm week days. Pretty much when people are going to and from work.

Week ends are hit or miss during the day but at night you can make 300 taking people to the bars depending how late you go. New Year’s Eve you’ll make a lot. Keep bags in your door pockets Incase people need to throw up and you can’t pull over in time. 

If it’s snowing or any crappy weather turn it on.  Go near colleges. Ub you’ll get a lot of shorter rides and you’ll get them all day but there’s a lot of drivers that sit in the area. Download the rider app and check to see where the other drivers are so you’re not sitting in an area with 10 other Uber’s waiting for the same ride.

Don’t chase surges you’ll waste gas and by the time you get there it’ll be gone. 

You have to pay your own taxes. 

Sign up for both Lyft and uber and keep both on. If you get a ride with one or other turn the opposite off. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

where do you live?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Suburb of Rochester

I have never driven, but thought about it when i was bored a while ago(long story), and i enjoy driving and meeting new people. ...my research indicated kinda what @Not at the table Karlos said above..be in the city where people like to take Ubers ..would need to do at rush hours..and  on weekend nights when people are partying more. Down side to that is drunks and the stupid things drunks(like me) do when drunk!!!

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

It can definitely make money but there’s certain times of the day you have to do it. 6am-10am then 4pm-7pm week days. Pretty much when people are going to and from work.

Week ends are hit or miss during the day but at night you can make 300 taking people to the bars depending how late you go. New Year’s Eve you’ll make a lot. Keep bags in your door pockets Incase people need to throw up and you can’t pull over in time. 

If it’s snowing or any crappy weather turn it on.  Go near colleges. Ub you’ll get a lot of shorter rides and you’ll get them all day but there’s a lot of drivers that sit in the area. Download the rider app and check to see where the other drivers are so you’re not sitting in an area with 10 other Uber’s waiting for the same ride.

Don’t chase surges you’ll waste gas and by the time you get there it’ll be gone. 

Sign up for both Lyft and uber and keep both on. If you get a ride with one or other turn the opposite off. 

All of this, especially not chasing surges.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Depending on what you professional skill set is, you may want to check out some of the freelancing sites. You can find a list of some of them here:

https://millo.co/sites-like-upwork

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Suburb of Rochester

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Been driving for both Lyft and Uber since it's onset in Rochester, part time as a way to supplement income.  To piggyback what Karlos said, you have to know the times and places. 

Right now, I do Friday commutes (3-7pm) and Saturday early evening (6-11).  I can pull $150 during those times.  If you drive later your rate will go up with surging. You'll be able to make upwards of $30 an hour. 

Currently, the UofR is a hit bed of ride sharing.  Asian chicks as far as the eye can see looking for rides. Naz and Fisher are great on weekends taking scantily clad underclassen (underclasswomen?) to and from parties and bars. RIT has been hit or miss. 

The East End scene is nuts on weekends.  It'll surge from 12-3. Get signed up now. They have to do a background check which can take a week or two. 

YOU DONT WANT TO MISS OUT ON THANKSGIVING EVE. EASY WAY TO POP A FEW HUNJ IN YOUR ACCOUNT!! 

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

All of this, especially not chasing surges.

To a degree but often the surges are close enough if you head in that direction, you'll be the beneficiary.  If its more than a couple miles away, it's probably not worth it. 

22 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why don't you just pick people up on way to and from work, to store, anytime you go out.  You know... The way it was invented.

When did Uber turn into driving a cab?

Because you do this, and then you get close to a small airport nearby, and two people fly in on a private jet that then need to go to Dayton. I had an hour for lunch, not 2.5 hours.

3 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Because you do this, and then you get close to a small airport nearby, and two people fly in on a private jet that then need to go to Dayton. I had an hour for lunch, not 2.5 hours.

No offense, but that's your problem.

It's a deregulated cab industry now.

I mean... The OP says he works a job... Now people are saying gig at certain times... Like mid-morning, rush hour, etc... Aren't they part of the rush hour, working during these times.

Uber was never intended to turn into a "real" job. I don't get it, people always push things.  Wreck the spirit of thingd, or was it planned to do that?  Wasn't it intended to pick people up when the driver was doing other things.  When did it turn into a dedicated job?

There are only so many hours of the day.

Then the enviro angle... How is thid better?  Wouldn't be better if people were waiting.  Burning fuel everywhere, cruising fares.

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I mean... The OP says he works a job... Now people are saying gig at certain times... Like mid-morning, rush hour, etc... Aren't they part of the rush hour, working during these times.

Uber was never intended to turn into a "real" job. I don't get it, people always push things.  Wreck the spirit of thingd, or was it planned to do that?  Wasn't it intended to pick people up when the driver was doing other things.  When did it turn into a dedicated job?

Then the enviro angle... How is thid better?  Wouldn't be better if people were waiting.  Burning fuel everywhere, cruising fares.

Not to speak for the ride sharing community as a whole but I don't know one driver that "does it as intended".  I mean I get it, the term "ride sharing" lends itself to that idealogy.  

Unfortunately, for better or worse, it's blossomed (festered?) into something different.  I'm sure there are multitudes of reasons how it got there (societal underemployment, aging low skill work force, yada yada) but it's where we are. It's in it's current state due to supply and demand. 

I like having the ability to make some cake on the side whenever I have some free time. It feels good to help people be safe and not drink and drive, which is at least 50% of my rides. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Not to speak for the ride sharing community as a whole but I don't know one driver that "does it as intended".  I mean I get it, the term "ride sharing" lends itself to that idealogy.  

Unfortunately, for better or worse, it's blossomed (festered?) into something different.  I'm sure there are multitudes of reasons how it got there (societal underemployment, aging low skill work force, yada yada) but it's where we are. It's in it's current state due to supply and demand. 

I like having the ability to make some cake on the side whenever I have some free time. It feels good to help people be safe and not drink and drive, which is at least 50% of my rides. 

But... You know it's moving to phase labor, drivers, right out of the picture.

Just the first salvo to soften people and their wallets up for the coming automation.

It's like asking: "Is the game of football better now than 60 years ago?"

Sure... It's bigger, faster, stronger.  But is it better?  Hardly.  The game is actually worse, unwatchable.  But... You have your extra scratch.  Same thing when households moved to two incomes.  Nice at first.  Now, that everybody is doing it?  It's almost mandatory to survive?

I see it all as twists on tragedy of commons. Resources dwindle more and more... The game becomes more competitive.

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Boy, I sure do miss the high level of convenience, excellent customer service, friendly/courteous drivers, and clean cars of the old regulated cab industry!  :lol::lol:

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Boy, I sure do miss the high level of convenience, excellent customer service, friendly/courteous drivers, and clean cars of the old regulated cab industry!  :lol::lol:

Bring back the Checker Motors Corporation!

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Correct company name.
  • Awesome! (+1) 1