Hauschka: didn’t feel “ideal” mentally/physically/technically on Sunday

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

100% Agree.

BOTH Daboll & McD were clueless about his 0 for 50 yard attempts, Daboll more so, by NOT calling the T.O. on 3rd. Down to get the best possible 8-10 yard play for Allen.

Which would have meant a makeable 40 odd yard kick!

EVERYONE watching the game saw the graphic! 

Exactly, and it doesn't matter if he has made all of his 50 yard attempts this year. You still put your players in the best position to make plays. No matter what their role.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that 40-45 yard field goals are significantly easier for NFL kickers then 50+.

Edited by wagon127

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t envy the life of a kicker.  Does he tell the ST coach when he’s not feeling good about his kicking or no? 

When a kicker travels down this emotional roller coaster then he has 2 choices- dig deep and pull out of it or begin seeking other employment.

Damn, there are a lot of over-reactions here. This happens all the time in sports. As an example, it is common for major league pitchers in baseball to “not have their best stuff”, but that doesn’t mean they pull themselves out of the game.  They do their best to find a way to get outs and make it through without feeling 100%.

Nothing unusual at all in my opinion, and I credit Hauschka for his honesty.  

Most, if not all, NFL players aren't 100%.  These guys all play through pain we can't imagine.  God help them if they might actually admit that.  My guess on Hauschka and Milano (another guy people are yelling about after his injury) is they're getting so much Toradol that it's hurting their play.  But we'll never know about it, as nearly all players never reveal the extent of what they go through just to play on Sunday.  I'm not ready to throw HauschMoney under the bus just yet.  

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

Most, if not all, NFL players aren't 100%.  These guys all play through pain we can't imagine.  God help them if they might actually admit that.  My guess on Hauschka and Milano (another guy people are yelling about after his injury) are they're getting so much Toradol that it's hurting their play.  But we'll never know about it, as nearly all players never reveal the extent of what they go through just to play on Sunday.  I'm not ready to throw HauschMoney under the bus just yet.  

I have read how everyone who plays in an NFL game is injured to some extent, nobody is pain free during their careers, and often the rest of their lives

• Like (+1) 1

This guy is a loser. He’s been trending down since the end of last year. Remember when he was short on extra points?  What the heck?  We need to be looking ASAP. It’s completely unacceptable that this guy felt that way and didn’t let the coaches know. 

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

This guy is a loser. He’s been trending down since the end of last year. Remember when he was short on extra points?  What the heck?  We need to be looking ASAP. It’s completely unacceptable that this guy felt that way and didn’t let the coaches know. 

the Eagles lost their kicker the last week of the 77 or 78 season and Vermeil went with the punter

of course he biffed a gimme for the win in the WC game against the Falcons  :D

a few people in the room had $$$ on the Eagles and totally lost their ***** on that fiasco

and punter Michel missed a PAT and another FG as well, per the comments

Did we lose the Super Bowl or something .

Just find a way to get Hausch to kick from the Left hash mark 

The anatomy of a kicker 

http://insidethepylon.com/film-study/film-study-nfl/special-teams-film-study-nfl/2015/12/21/introducing-chandler-catanzaro-the-nfls-next-great-kicker-is-already-here/

Maybe he needs a mental health day??

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Most, if not all, NFL players aren't 100%.  These guys all play through pain we can't imagine.  God help them if they might actually admit that.  My guess on Hauschka and Milano (another guy people are yelling about after his injury) is they're getting so much Toradol that it's hurting their play.  But we'll never know about it, as nearly all players never reveal the extent of what they go through just to play on Sunday.  I'm not ready to throw HauschMoney under the bus just yet.  

Hey i just had a hip replacement done so i CAN imagine it...

• Like (+1) 1

Sure Hauschka has had some recent issues but give the guy a chance and let’s see if he still has the mental and physical skillset to get back on track.  

I’m not the astute X’s and O’s football guy a lot of you guys are (no sarcasm intended at all—I respect lots of you)—but I look at kickers like relievers in MLB—they run hot and cold—a guy who is demoted after blowing up in the bottom of the 9th can get his mojo back and guys who are released get back into form with new teams.  

We won two games solely BECAUSE of the performance of opposing kickers—let’s be honest here—the missed FGs are easy for some to use as a scapegoat but put blame where it lays—with the guys calling the plays and making those decisions.  The missed FGs wouldn’t have even been an issue if the game plan had been better.  

Football is a ruthless business and as good as Hauschka used to be and as nice a guy as he seems, if he cant make kicks like he had in Cleveland then he needs to go. The really unfortunate thing about kickers is once they lose their mojo, they have a really hard time getting it back. Look at Norwood.  Pretty solid kicker until he missed in Tampa and then never the same again. Vanderjagt was the same in Indy. The guy was great in the CFL and then became the most accurate kicker in the NFL but after a few brutal misses (that one vs Pittsburgh) he was basically crap.  What bugs me is that that Hauschka has been showing some signs this year of erratic kicking and yet McD still played it safe for the kick vs the Browns when it was a long way out. If the ST coordinator or Daboll or McD had paid attention they would have realized that Hauschka's chances of making that kick were pretty low and his confidence was probably shaky after missing a 34 yard one earlier.  I have no idea why they didn't go for it on 4th down or call a timeout before that to think it over. They all reacted like deer in the headlights rather than thinking a few steps ahead. Also if Hauschka had a problem with the way his legs were feeling or where is head was at, did he communicate this to the coaches?? 

22 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Football is a ruthless business and as good as Hauschka used to be and as nice a guy as he seems, if he cant make kicks like he had in Cleveland then he needs to go. The really unfortunate thing about kickers is once they lose their mojo, they have a really hard time getting it back. Look at Norwood.  Pretty solid kicker until he missed in Tampa and then never the same again. Vanderjagt was the same in Indy. The guy was great in the CFL and then became the most accurate kicker in the NFL but after a few brutal misses (that one vs Pittsburgh) he was basically crap.  What bugs me is that that Hauschka has been showing some signs this year of erratic kicking and yet McD still played it safe for the kick vs the Browns when it was a long way out. If the ST coordinator or Daboll or McD had paid attention they would have realized that Hauschka's chances of making that kick were pretty low and his confidence was probably shaky after missing a 34 yard one earlier.  I have no idea why they didn't go for it on 4th down or call a timeout before that to think it over. They all reacted like deer in the headlights rather than thinking a few steps ahead. Also if Hauschka had a problem with the way his legs were feeling or where is head was at, did he communicate this to the coaches?? 

a reasonable play on 3rd and 4 would have been fine after piddling away 25 seconds off the clock....

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

Or called timeout... to call a play - and either clock it or have a 2nd play prepared.  We basically took a timeout and didn't use it (i know we technically used it)... its not like it carrys over to OT or another game.  Be smart.  

it was a very very bad bungling of a clutch moment

it's early in McD's career so he gets a few of them

Andy Reid is perfect in botching this kind of winnable situation in the last 2 minutes, and he's worshipped by the media