Long Term Trust

How much trust do you have that Josh Allen will make us a Super Bowl contender in the next 3 years?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. How much trust do you have that Josh Allen will make us a Super Bowl contender in the next 3 years?

• 0-20%
    • 20-40%
    • 40-60%
    • 60-80%
    • 80-100%
  2. 2. How much trust do you have that Sean McDermott will make us a Super Bowl contender in the next 3 years?

• 0-20%
    • 20-40%
    • 40-60%
    • 60-80%
    • 80-100%

17 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Id say around 15%

They’ve been the same team for last 3 years. I don’t see that changing all that much in the next 3.

sad, but likely true.  

2 hours ago, JM57 said:

I'm absolutely jaded. I'm 31. The first game I

remember going to, Todd Collins was the QB. Or in another way to phrase it, I don't remember the glory years any more than knowing they were good and my dad enjoyed watching them. My entire life has been watching the Bills with awful offenses. It's been a ride.

man, that is tough. But there is a silver lining I suppose:  I started watching the year before the SB years.  I never had any idea how bad the Bills were prior, or what was coming afterward.  After those year, I expected to make the playoffs, or find a QB.  And watching so many of the teams that were bad during our SB years (Tampa  and the Pats) or teams we routinely beat (Denver, Pittsburgh) win Super Bowls afterward made it hard to watch sometimes!  

I went to the Browns/Bills game... first live game since Allen began starting.  This sucks to admit to myself, but I now firmly believe that he won't be able to become an accurate enough passer to be effective (consistently score in the mid to high 20's point range).  There's a lot that we can point to regarding their inability to score more than 14-20 pts per game, but the most basic and important reason is Josh's inaccuracy.

Look at the results of this poll.

Now compare the data to the overwhelming popularity of Allen on this board.

The most vocal and fierce Allen apologists are in a tiny minority, but they do all the screaming.

I wish more Allen critics would speak up in these threads.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Ugh, the worst "Miami squeaks it out" game I can remember is from 2005 where Losman hit Evans for three 1st quarter TDs only for the mighty Gus Frerotte to lead Miami to three 4th quarter TDs and a 24-23 win. 

the horror..... the horror.....

thanks for reminder me...

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

you any idea how hard it is to be so consistently crappy in the NFL like the Bills have?

not cratering completely, not seriously contender a second season in a row, but soul-crushingly mediocre so many years....

Yes, I do - I've seen it with my own eyes, and several times over the life of the team....late 60's, mid to late 70's, mid 80's......but we all get the picture.  If you're a native of WNY you get ingrained with it.  Win or lose, its fun to tailgate and go to the games I think (I only get to do it every few years now since I don't live in the area).  And its equally as frustrating as hell to not see progress.   We're now approaching nearly 25 years since the Bills last SB appearance and for anyone who was old enough to remember 1988 to 1993 it was what Patriots fans have experienced the last umpteen years minus the actual win of the SB.  I never felt the Bills would lose any games during that time.  I was genuinely shocked when they lost.  That feeling is long gone.  

7 hours ago, blacklabel said:

With McD telling them to "play fearless" and them being pissed off about losing last week I realy think they're gonna come out on fire Sunday. 

5TD's and keeping the Dolphins to single digits. I don't ask for much and really hope we are going to play true fearless!

• Like (+1) 1

Oh, yeah.  It's happening.  I wrote about it in May.  

In 3 years Josh Allen will be one of the premier QBs in the league.  

4 hours ago, All I Need is Hope said:

I went to the Browns/Bills game... first live game since Allen began starting.  This sucks to admit to myself, but I now firmly believe that he won't be able to become an accurate enough passer to be effective (consistently score in the mid to high 20's point range).  There's a lot that we can point to regarding their inability to score more than 14-20 pts per game, but the most basic and important reason is Josh's inaccuracy.

I completely disagree.  I saw a QB who can make all the throws who is learning to play against all the defenses the league can throw at him.  Game by game he learns.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/14/2019 at 6:58 AM, SoTier said:

This is what's troubling to me, too.  He's lost his capacity to play "hero ball" -- his willingness to do whatever it takes to win football games -- since the NE game. 

Dead on.   Allen shouldn't be playing "hero ball" all the time, but he's almost like a zombie out there now.  Trying to be a game manager isn't his forte -- and the lack of elite talent around him on the offense makes it impossible for him to be successful.   Game managers are only successful when they have great talent supporting them.

Defenses now have enough film on him to defend him.   Put 8 in the box and eliminate the run game; make him throw it and he misfires due to inaccuracy at least 1 out of 4 times, and 1/3 are defended successfully, making him a ~50% passer .  If he runs, you can strip the ball 1 out of 3 times.  Seems defenses invite him to run now, to provide a turnover opportunity.  So basically defenses are now taking away Singletary/Gore by outnumbering the blockers (who are only above average anyways) and they are winning in the passing game bc Josh is inaccurate and generates turnovers when he runs.  Pretty simple.   Cleveland proved it.   Everyone will be doing this until Josh starts making all the routine throws and improves his ball security.   Dont' blame it on Daboll; Browns loaded the box and Daboll correctly responded by throwing it 41 times. and guys got separation.  Josh just wasn't good enough throwing it.  Hopefully his mechanics in the pocket get cleaned up in the offseason.   Not going to happen in-season.  Training camp is over.  

Its all a process.   We are in year 2 with Josh, who was a glorified high school QB coming out of Wyoming.   He is getting there.  He has elite physical tools.  Just doesn't throw it well enough right now.  His mechanics / feet need to be right 100% of the time and they are not.  He needs to slide every time he runs and stop trying to score when he runs.  He's playing against defensive guys now who are just as good as athletes as he is.   He will get there.  I'm guessing next year, assuming Daboll is still around; if Daboll is gone, then we start over again; he'll have the mechanics but will burn a year learning a new offense. 

Stay the course.  Trust the Process.

Edited by ProcessTruster

10 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Defenses now have enough film on him to defend him.   Put 8 in the box and eliminate the run game; make him throw it and he misfires due to inaccuracy at least 1 out of 4 times, and 1/3 are defended successfully, making him a ~50% passer .  If he runs, you can strip the ball 1 out of 3 times.  Seems defenses almost want him to run now, his ball security is so bad.  So basically defenses are now taking away Singletary/Gore by outnumbering the blockers (who are only above average anyways) and they are winning in the passing game bc Josh is inaccurate and generates turnovers when he runs.  Pretty simple.   Cleveland proved it.   Everyone will be doing this until Josh starts making all the routine throws and improves his ball security.   Dont' blame it on Daboll; Browns loaded the box and Daboll responded by throwing it. and guys got separation.  Josh just wasn't good enough throwing it.  Hopefully his mechanics in the pocket get cleaned up in the offseason.   Not going to happen in-season.  Training camp is over.  

Its all a process.   We are in year 2 with Josh, who was a glorified high school QB coming out of Wyoming.   He is getting there.  He has elite physical tools.  Just doesn't throw it well enough right now.  His mechanics / feet need to be right 100% of the time and they are not.  He needs to slide every time he runs and stop trying to score when he runs.  He's playing against defensive guys now who are just as good as athletes as he is.   He will get there.  I'm guessing next year, assuming Daboll is still around; if Daboll is gone, then we start over again; he'll have the mechanics but will burn a year learning a new offense. 

...with Singeltary getting EIGHT touches, don't WE eliminate the run game ourselves?...just askin'............

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Defenses now have enough film on him to defend him.   Put 8 in the box and eliminate the run game; make him throw it and he misfires due to inaccuracy at least 1 out of 4 times, and 1/3 are defended successfully, making him a ~50% passer .  If he runs, you can strip the ball 1 out of 3 times.  Seems defenses invite him to run now, to provide a turnover opportunity.  So basically defenses are now taking away Singletary/Gore by outnumbering the blockers (who are only above average anyways) and they are winning in the passing game bc Josh is inaccurate and generates turnovers when he runs.  Pretty simple.   Cleveland proved it.   Everyone will be doing this until Josh starts making all the routine throws and improves his ball security.   Dont' blame it on Daboll; Browns loaded the box and Daboll correctly responded by throwing it 41 times. and guys got separation.  Josh just wasn't good enough throwing it.  Hopefully his mechanics in the pocket get cleaned up in the offseason.   Not going to happen in-season.  Training camp is over.  

What a load of bull manure!!!   The Bills have essentially wasted the first two years of Allen's career because they haven't devoted enough resources to helping him succeed!!!  Do you understand that THEY DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO HIRE A COMPETENT, EXPERIENCED QB COACH FOR ALLEN IN 2018???   David Culley might be a decent assistant coach at various positions --  he was McDermott's buddy apparently -- but he had no experience as a QB coach except for 1 year in a small time college program back in the 1980s.  That, sir, was stupid, clueless, and totally indefensible.

McDermott and Beane gave Allen a bit more to work with in 2019, including getting around to actually hiring a competent QB coach, albeit another McDermott pal from Carolina.  They've given Allen 2 decent WRs, which is 2 more than he had as a rookie, but neither one is a #1, and the other WRs and veteran TEs are, at best STers.  Rookie Dawson Knox looks promising but young receivers take time to develop. His OL is mediocre at pass blocking but it appears to be better at run blocking.  Of course, we don't know if that's really true because the Bills don't commit to the run, even though a strong running game has been proven over and over again is a young QB's best friend, whether he's a coveted first rounder or an UDFA, and Devon Singletary has looked good when he's gotten opportunities. 

The Bills couild have done more for Allen but didn't.  Four quality WRs were available in trades that they didn't land for one reason or another.    Of course, passing on Josh Gordon off waivers is, at best, disappointing.  He would have cost the Bills nothing except a roster spot and some $$$.  They also cut McCoy to keep Gore and Yeldon which seriously compromised short passing game, although they run so little that I suppose that McCoy would make no great difference in the running game.

You can spout your "stay the course" and "trust the process" crap ad nauseum but McDermott and Beane's offense has sucked 3 years in a row now.  They've repeatedly shed good or decent offensive players and replaced them with far inferior players, and then they spent a fortune on a first round project QB but thew him out there without decent coaching and without weapons.  If you think this is how to build some kind of "sustainable" winning team, can I interest you in purchasing a well used but recently rehabbed bridge over Chautauqua Lake?

A major concern for the current version of the Bills moving forward is what I’m afraid will be known as the lost 2019 draft year. If you’re really going to turn a major corner, you simply can’t afford to skip an entire draft class. I know it’s early but keep an eye on this.