Long Term Trust

How much trust do you have that Josh Allen will make us a Super Bowl contender in the next 3 years?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. How much trust do you have that Josh Allen will make us a Super Bowl contender in the next 3 years?

• 0-20%
    • 20-40%
    • 40-60%
    • 60-80%
    • 80-100%
  2. 2. How much trust do you have that Sean McDermott will make us a Super Bowl contender in the next 3 years?

• 0-20%
    • 20-40%
    • 40-60%
    • 60-80%
    • 80-100%

11 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

A lot of hate for a coach that not only ended a 17 year playoff drought but is also about to go to his second playoffs in three years. Maybe it’s time to take a step back and see the big picture.

Ya, we are 6-3. Maybe some people should let the season actually play out before they crucify the coaches, qb, and other players.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Being a good fan should mean being realistic about the state of the franchise, not predicting a 13-3 season every year despite obvious warts.

I voted 0-20% for each. I would need to see significant growth from each to have confidence in being a Super Bowl contender. Without that growth I think the ceiling of this team is similar to the Chiefs with Alex Smith. With the right mix of schedule and roster makeup, you can make the playoffs, even do so consistently. But there has to be something to push them over the top. 

Allen's flaws are obvious and have been gone over time and time again. Pre-draft I saw him as a prospect with a sky high ceiling and an incredibly low floor. What he has done through 20 games, in my opinion, has raised that floor. I now think the worst case scenario is average to below-average NFL starter, kind of like Andy Dalton or Alex Smith over the last decade or so. Perhaps he becomes a poor man's Stafford if the gunslinger tendencies come back. That would be his floor, it's not great but at least it's not all time bust bad. The ceiling still exists but the likelihood of him reaching it lowers with each start. Sure, Daboll isn't an elite play caller, but he's also missing open receivers and/or not seeing them at all, so there's fault on both parties.

McDermott needs to grow also. He is 1 for whatever on challenges and that 1 came back in 2017. Either he's going off his gut and is wrong frequently, or whoever is in the booth telling him when to challenge is immeasurably awful at it. That needs to change. You can also count on him to take a knee and jog to the locker room if they get the ball back with 75 seconds or less in the first half, even if they have all their timeouts. The two minute drill is the slowest I've ever seen. There's often no useful on the fly adjustments made if a team is beating the D or stopping the O until the half. Why can't someone upstairs assist here? At least he has shown some progress this year in going for it on 4th and short.

Maybe I'm different. Bills games aren't life and death for me anymore. I guess after over 40 years of being a fan, I might be a little jaded.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

Ya, we are 6-3. Maybe some people should let the season actually play out before they crucify the coaches, qb, and other players.

McDermott coaches the same way in 2019 as he did in 2017, and that's more than enough Jauron Ball Part Deux for me.

11 minutes ago, SoTier said:

McDermott coaches the same way in 2019 as he did in 2017, and that's more than enough Jauron Ball Part Deux for me.

Weird. I don’t remember Jauron throwing it 40 times a game and going for it on fourth down more than almost any other coach in the league. I also don’t remember Jauron making the playoffs

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

20%-40% for Allen because I still see growth there 

0-20% for McClappy because he is at his ceiling and was just out coached by Freddie “worst coach in league” Kitchens 

Freddie Kitchens stomped the Ravens.

• Like (+1) 1

Trust? Is this a personal relationship? How wussy can ya be? this is football buddy.

The question is better stated, do you “think” .... 

answer = 60/40 yes I trust virtually no one who works for the NFL. 

Go Bills!!!

13 hours ago, HOUSE said:

We lose one game to the Browns and the train hopped the track...how depressing

I can’t speak for everyone else, but I don’t think it’s about one game.  It’s about the past 4 games where the offensive shows no improvement and the overall track record of Daboll not making the necessary adjustments to get it done. 

For McD, I think the fear is that he doesn’t know enough about the offensive side of the ball and is too conservative to shake things up. 

13 hours ago, HOUSE said:

We lose one game to the Browns and the train hopped the track...how depressing

Yeah people on this board are funny. Its not trivial that teams will lose games. That's why only 1 team in history went undefeated. The Saints, who before last week were thought as superbowl contenders and a top 3 team,  just got spanked by the 1-7 falcons. This is a young team that is still searching to find itself. 9-7/10-6 was pretty much what everyone expected at a high end  this year from this group, but now if they finish at that mark they are considered terrible? Trust the process. They are still missing some key pieces that they will address the next year or two in draft/free agency and we will continue to see some winning football. ?

• Like (+1) 1

Look up the definition of "erratic."  It's exemplified by having a back who one week is a top ten ground gainer and the next week gets eight touches against a team with a less than stellar defense.  Perhaps we simply wanted to get back to our pinpoint passing attack?  Something's clearly missing from the "trust" equation.

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I can’t speak for everyone else, but I don’t think it’s about one game.  It’s about the past 4 games where the offensive shows no improvement and the overall track record of Daboll not making the necessary adjustments to get it done. 

For McD, I think the fear is that he doesn’t know enough about the offensive side of the ball and is too conservative to shake things up. 

Which is entirely reasonable. I’m not as down on the future as many in here happen to be. I honestly expected Allen to basically suck for three years anyways since he was so raw coming out. If the kid fixes one major flaw every off-season for his first 3-4 years he’s going to be a top 10-15 QB... We’ll see if he gets there. As for reading defenses... He’s still seeing new looks because the Mountain West ... well... it kind of sucks. 

I share the opinions of Daboll. I think he’s been throwing a bit to much at Allen with this offensive system. The offense is built to morph week to week and change... Allen doesn’t have the experience to pull that off without serious talent. As a result we have an offense that lacks identity instead of Patsie Lite. Allen simply cannot make the pre-snap reads and adjustments to control games right now. 

Which brings me to McD.... He needs to identify the problems and reign them in, especially Daboll getting cute with gameplan and playcalling. As HC that is his primary responsibility and he’s dropping the ball there. He also needs to figure out why this team has a 2-4 game slump in the middle of EVERY SEASON. 

All that said... I thought this was an 8-8 or 9-7 team that could hit 10 wins with lucky breaks before the season. They’re on track for that. They fix the run D down the stretch (again?) and someone like Knox starts seriously balling the rest of the season could be exciting. 

Really, the teams record hasn't really changed much since the Music City Miracle loss.  They've averaged slightly over six wins and slightly more than 9 losses every since since.  They're 127-177 over that time period and made the playoffs once due to what can only be described as a miracle.  They've had 9 HC's, with Dick Jauron lasting the longest at slightly more than 3.5 seasons.  Basically they've been in a rebuilding cycle for the last 19 years.  My point here is what's really changed?  The names and faces, but that's about it.  So, no I don't have reason to think the current group is any better.  Sheer odds say that there has to be something like a 20% chance they get things turned around.

10 minutes ago, chaccof said:

Really, the teams record hasn't really changed much since the Music City Miracle loss.  They've averaged slightly over six wins and slightly more than 9 losses every since since.  They're 127-177 over that time period and made the playoffs once due to what can only be described as a miracle.  They've had 9 HC's, with Dick Jauron lasting the longest at slightly more than 3.5 seasons.  Basically they've been in a rebuilding cycle for the last 19 years.  My point here is what's really changed?  The names and faces, but that's about it.  So, no I don't have reason to think the current group is any better.  Sheer odds say that there has to be something like a 20% chance they get things turned around.

you any idea how hard it is to be so consistently crappy in the NFL like the Bills have?

not cratering completely, not seriously contender a second season in a row, but soul-crushingly mediocre so many years....

14 hours ago, OZBILLS said:

Imagine what a loss to Miami is going to look like :(

I get the feeling they're gonna pummel Miami into little tiny dolphin-bits. And last week I had the feeling that the Browns game was gonna be Suckfest 5000. I'm not saying I'm a prophet or anything, but.... eh, there's a punchline here somewhere but I got nothin'. With McD telling them to "play fearless" and them being pissed off about losing last week I realy think they're gonna come out on fire Sunday. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, blacklabel said:

I get the feeling they're gonna pummel Miami into little tiny dolphin-bits. And last week I had the feeling that the Browns game was gonna be Suckfest 5000. I'm not saying I'm a prophet or anything, but.... eh, there's a punchline here somewhere but I got nothin'. With McD telling them to "play fearless" and them being pissed off about losing last week I realy think they're gonna come out on fire Sunday. 

feelings only matter when you put at least $100 behind them

could any outcome honestly surprise fans of the Bills?

6 hours ago, westside2 said:

Maybe I'm different. Bills games aren't life and death for me anymore. I guess after over 40 years of being a fan, I might be a little jaded.

I'm absolutely jaded. I'm 31. The first game Ir remember going to, Todd Collins was the QB. Or in another way to phrase it, I don't remember the glory years any more than knowing they were good and my dad enjoyed watching them. My entire life has been watching the Bills with awful offenses. It's been a ride.

Edited by JM57
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

feelings only matter when you put at least $100 behind them

could any outcome honestly surprise fans of the Bills?

Not if you've been watching long enough. I think we've seen it all from them: dominant 90s run, inevitable collapses after solid starts, flat out awful seasons, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, etc. I get the feeling a lot of folks on the board here expect them to completely implode and go 1-6 to finish out the season or something. I can't see that happening. Whine as some might about McDermott, he runs a pretty solid program, I think. They're a well-coached team full of hardworking guys who put the team first and just wanna win. I know people throw 'em some flak for seeking out those types of players but with those characteristics comes a constant desire to improve. Now, that's not to say they shouldn't shy away from good players who don't 100% fit that bill. They should have confidence that the vibe in the locker room would overcome any sort of waves made by a new guy. The fact that they went after AB tells me that they won't shy away from super talented players like that, though. Culture and chemistry is extremely important to this coaching staff and they aren't going to bring in anybody that would negatively affect that. 

7 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Not if you've been watching long enough. I think we've seen it all from them: dominant 90s run, inevitable collapses after solid starts, flat out awful seasons, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, etc. I get the feeling a lot of folks on the board here expect them to completely implode and go 1-6 to finish out the season or something. I can't see that happening. Whine as some might about McDermott, he runs a pretty solid program, I think. They're a well-coached team full of hardworking guys who put the team first and just wanna win. I know people throw 'em some flak for seeking out those types of players but with those characteristics comes a constant desire to improve. Now, that's not to say they shouldn't shy away from good players who don't 100% fit that bill. They should have confidence that the vibe in the locker room would overcome any sort of waves made by a new guy. The fact that they went after AB tells me that they won't shy away from super talented players like that, though. Culture and chemistry is extremely important to this coaching staff and they aren't going to bring in anybody that would negatively affect that. 

Bills win easily

Bills squeak it out

Miami wins easily

Miami squeaks it out

loser puts up 2 scores in garbagetime to flip the spread cover.... :(

59 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Bills win easily

Bills squeak it out

Miami wins easily

Miami squeaks it out

loser puts up 2 scores in garbagetime to flip the spread cover.... :(

Ugh, the worst "Miami squeaks it out" game I can remember is from 2005 where Losman hit Evans for three 1st quarter TDs only for the mighty Gus Frerotte to lead Miami to three 4th quarter TDs and a 24-23 win. 

• Like (+1) 1