Long Term Trust

How much trust do you have that Josh Allen will make us a Super Bowl contender in the next 3 years?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. How much trust do you have that Josh Allen will make us a Super Bowl contender in the next 3 years?

• 0-20%
    • 20-40%
    • 40-60%
    • 60-80%
    • 80-100%
  2. 2. How much trust do you have that Sean McDermott will make us a Super Bowl contender in the next 3 years?

• 0-20%
    • 20-40%
    • 40-60%
    • 60-80%
    • 80-100%

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

We should have drafted Darnold. No wait. We should have drafted Mayfield. No wait. We should have drafted Rosen. No wait. Lamont. That’s the answer. 

We should of”.........that’s how that crowd usually rolls. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

We should have drafted Darnold. No wait. We should have drafted Mayfield. No wait. We should have drafted Rosen. No wait. Lamont. That’s the answer. 

Don't be silly, Lunchpailboy.  We clearly should have drafted Watson..Or do I mean Mahomes?

1 minute ago, Augie said:

We should of”.........that’s how that crowd usually rolls. 

Oh, alrighty.  We should of drafted Watson...Or maybe Mahomes?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't be silly, Lunchpailboy.  We clearly should have drafted Watson..Or do I mean Mahomes?

Raise your hand if you were all in on Trubisky! 

Nobody? 

Come on, ‘fess up!

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or Jackson.  We had first crack at the 3 hottest young QBs in the AFC.   We held out for Josh.

That's alright I trust THE PROCESS so I know he'll turn out better than those other guys.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

You've spelled out my worst nightmare.

That we end up in McDermott/Allen limbo for an extended era in which we don't suck, but have no chance of going anywhere either, nor do we move on form either of them.

You think these reactions are based on one game?

Where you been the last 3 years with McD and the last 2 with Allen?

The Buffalo News <---------

Edited by HOUSE

I have zero confidence that McDermott and Beane can build a competitive team, so unfortunately Allen doesn't have a chance either.  If the current regime stays in place, the Bills will be stuck in the same rut of mediocrity that they've wallowed in over the last two decades, and  the blame will undoubtedly fall on Allen for "not being good enough".  Maybe he isn't, but I don't think we'll ever really know because offensive coaching and talent around him are mediocre.

Edited by SoTier
I can't type early in the am

18 minutes ago, westside2 said:

I wish we had better fans.?

Being a good fan should mean being realistic about the state of the franchise, not predicting a 13-3 season every year despite obvious warts.

I voted 0-20% for each. I would need to see significant growth from each to have confidence in being a Super Bowl contender. Without that growth I think the ceiling of this team is similar to the Chiefs with Alex Smith. With the right mix of schedule and roster makeup, you can make the playoffs, even do so consistently. But there has to be something to push them over the top. 

Allen's flaws are obvious and have been gone over time and time again. Pre-draft I saw him as a prospect with a sky high ceiling and an incredibly low floor. What he has done through 20 games, in my opinion, has raised that floor. I now think the worst case scenario is average to below-average NFL starter, kind of like Andy Dalton or Alex Smith over the last decade or so. Perhaps he becomes a poor man's Stafford if the gunslinger tendencies come back. That would be his floor, it's not great but at least it's not all time bust bad. The ceiling still exists but the likelihood of him reaching it lowers with each start. Sure, Daboll isn't an elite play caller, but he's also missing open receivers and/or not seeing them at all, so there's fault on both parties.

McDermott needs to grow also. He is 1 for whatever on challenges and that 1 came back in 2017. Either he's going off his gut and is wrong frequently, or whoever is in the booth telling him when to challenge is immeasurably awful at it. That needs to change. You can also count on him to take a knee and jog to the locker room if they get the ball back with 75 seconds or less in the first half, even if they have all their timeouts. The two minute drill is the slowest I've ever seen. There's often no useful on the fly adjustments made if a team is beating the D or stopping the O until the half. Why can't someone upstairs assist here? At least he has shown some progress this year in going for it on 4th and short.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, london_bills said:

Browns game was bad for McDermott. 

I'm 0-20 allen because I'm not seeing the presence in this seasons games

20-40 mcd because of the winning record 

This is what's troubling to me, too.  He's lost his capacity to play "hero ball" -- his willingness to do whatever it takes to win football games -- since the NE game. 

9 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm not giving up on Josh Allen - it's way too soon for that.  I do not think that Daboll and the offensive staff are doing a good job at developing him, and are hindering him right now by forcing him to be a QB that he is not.  McD by extension of his OC and offensive coaches is part of this problem.  Beane and McD committed to Josh by moving up and drafting him in 2018, they need to follow through and develop him; if they don't, and/or trade him or let Josh go, another team will develop him into the QB he could be and we're hoping he'll be with us.

Dead on.   Allen shouldn't be playing "hero ball" all the time, but he's almost like a zombie out there now.  Trying to be a game manager isn't his forte -- and the lack of elite talent around him on the offense makes it impossible for him to be successful.   Game managers are only successful when they have great talent supporting them.

I put 60-80% for both. I still hold to the feeling that Josh is going to be special as a Bills QB and the best we have had since Kelly. I'm closer to 80% on him. I like McDermott, but at times I feel like he makes the same mistakes that we have seen the last two years whether it be scheme, misuse of challenges, lack of challenges, or showing loyalty to coaches/players that clearly aren't getting it done longer than he should. I am closer to 60% on him, but he is still the best coach we have had in quite a number of years here in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 2