Our Offensive Strategy May Not Be to Win

Tolstoy

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

So the Bills catching staff has developed a new way to "develop an elite QB" that doesn't need or consider winning games?

Anyway, the Bills are 21st in pass attempts and 11th in rushing attempts.  Wouldn't it be better to surround the developing QB with adequate Offensive skill position players?

This thread is mess. 

Image result for dumb and dumber gif
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

What do you mean by “open it up”? He passed 41 times, and handed off 14 times. What do you want? I really don’t understand, not trying to be a jerk. 

I think he would mean to allow allen to play his natural ways..allen seems a sec off both running and passing this year..he has been coached to not turn it over,dont be quick to run,slide before contact,stay in the pocket dont roll out etc....he is being turned into a system qb amd the system he has been playing seems broken..now im aware we have critics who will bring up the deep ball,the missing wide recievers,failing to diagnose where the pressure is etc..but its allens 2nd year and its dabolls 6 or 7th as an nfl coordinator..he owns the #20 offense as his best..has two 32 ranked..a 29th ranked and the nfls lowest scoring offense with the 12 chiefs....let allen be allen not what dumbell is turning him into

3 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

I think he would mean to allow allen to play his natural ways..allen seems a sec off both running and passing this year..he has been coached to not turn it over,dont be quick to run,slide before contact,stay in the pocket dont roll out etc....he is being turned into a system qb amd the system he has been playing seems broken..now im aware we have critics who will bring up the deep ball,the missing wide recievers,failing to diagnose where the pressure is etc..but its allens 2nd year and its dabolls 6 or 7th as an nfl coordinator..he owns the #20 offense as his best..has two 32 ranked..a 29th ranked and the nfls lowest scoring offense with the 12 chiefs....let allen be allen not what dumbell is turning him into

WHAT does that mean? 

I said “What do you mean by “open it up”?”

You zig-zagged around, but never answered. You want “better”? Don’t we all! 

3 hours ago, Tolstoy said:

My apologies if this is in another thread somewhere, but it occurred to me that Daboll may have a mandate to develop Josh Allen as a QB at virtually all costs, even if it means possibly risking wins this season. The reasoning would be that we are very unlikely to win without more talent and experience anyhow, and we will need a top flight QB to win in future years. We are better off developing an elite QB, instead of squeaking out every victory we can, only to never win the big prize because we lack the QB we need.

This would explain why we opened the season with 18 straight passes, as if Daboll was intentionally trying to get Allen into a rhythm regardless of what might be more likely to succeed. It explains why the Bills are so reluctant to become a running team, even though it seems like running the ball more might lead to more wins. It even explains why Allen has played more conservatively of late--because not playing hero-ball and becoming more turnover free is essential to a top flight QB. I expect that now that he has (arguably) gone too far towards playing conservatively, they will try to nudge him back towards playing more aggressively. 

In short, I am suggesting that Beane, McDermott and Daboll are all on the same page here--a long game strategy of developing an elite NFL QB . The wins and losses this season are secondary.

Part of me has doubts about this perspective, because so many careers depend upon winning and losing right now--both players and coaches. It is hard for me to believe that they are not doing whatever they can to win right now. But when I see what they are doing with Allen and the running game etc., I can't help but think I am right.

I had a long post recently that basically said that the Bills are doing this and that it’s the right thing.  They have to see if Allen can be a quality QB or not. What they asked of him in the Cleveland game wasn’t all that much for a quality NFL QB.  He didn’t deliver, but they should hold that course and find out if he can.  

10 hours ago, Tolstoy said:

My apologies if this is in another thread somewhere, but it occurred to me that Daboll may have a mandate to develop Josh Allen as a QB at virtually all costs, even if it means possibly risking wins this season. The reasoning would be that we are very unlikely to win without more talent and experience anyhow, and we will need a top flight QB to win in future years. We are better off developing an elite QB, instead of squeaking out every victory we can, only to never win the big prize because we lack the QB we need.

This would explain why we opened the season with 18 straight passes, as if Daboll was intentionally trying to get Allen into a rhythm regardless of what might be more likely to succeed. It explains why the Bills are so reluctant to become a running team, even though it seems like running the ball more might lead to more wins. It even explains why Allen has played more conservatively of late--because not playing hero-ball and becoming more turnover free is essential to a top flight QB. I expect that now that he has (arguably) gone too far towards playing conservatively, they will try to nudge him back towards playing more aggressively. 

In short, I am suggesting that Beane, McDermott and Daboll are all on the same page here--a long game strategy of developing an elite NFL QB . The wins and losses this season are secondary.

Part of me has doubts about this perspective, because so many careers depend upon winning and losing right now--both players and coaches. It is hard for me to believe that they are not doing whatever they can to win right now. But when I see what they are doing with Allen and the running game etc., I can't help but think I am right.

You answered your own question.  They are trying to win now because they know they may well not be around for the future if they do not win now.  

Stick to your literary career, Leo.

9 hours ago, elijah said:

The theories not too far off, however the wording and title is going to get you eaten alive by some of the members on the board 

*theory's*

Edited by Nextmanup

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

Another equally likely theory is that Daboll is just not very good as an OC. Again, only a theory.

We have a QB who missed a wide open WR for an easy TD and 6 points by 5-7 YARDS and has done this almost every game this season and you point your finger in the direction of the OC?

I'll give you a hint: have a look a the QB.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

We have a QB who missed a wide open WR for an easy TD and 6 points by 5-7 YARDS and has done this almost every game this season and you point your finger in the direction of the OC?

I'll give you a hint: have a look a the QB.

This

I agree the bills seem to be trying to change ja's game this year as a priority, and its the right thing to do. I didn't agree with the game plan against cleveland though, kind of needed that game as a cushion given the rest of the schedule. But as McDermott said, we have to see if we can find the sweet spot between conservative and explosive with ja.

13 hours ago, Chaos said:

Another equally likely theory is that Daboll is just not very good as an OC. Again, only a theory.

That's a poor theory considering the talent required to coach in the NFL at all.

13 hours ago, Tolstoy said:

I agree. However, winning is something to be learned as well so they try to keep games close while teaching Josh.

16 hours ago, Tolstoy said:

Allen just isn't making the throws.   Guys were open all day.   

Scheme was great, preparation was great, execution was terrible. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2019/11/13/20962181/all-22-analysis-buffalo-bills-quarterback-josh-allen-struggles-against-the-cleveland-browns

16 hours ago, elijah said:

The theories not too far off, however the wording and title is going to get you eaten alive by some of the members on the board 

I agree can you pass the salt ? please!!